gaming Gaming = Childishness?

Magnum Flare

Well, that's true, but I think the game's content makes it clear that the game is intended for an adult audience. I mean, no rational adult would ever consider letting their kid play a game like GTA.

My parents let me play GTA, soliderof fortune, read violent comics watch alien, terminator etc when I was a kid I loved it still do.

• Brohoof 2

Well, that's true, but I think the game's content makes it clear that the game is intended for an adult audience. I mean, no rational adult would ever consider letting their kid play a game like GTA.

On the other hand not everything that a game is rated Mature for is necessarily a problem for some parents. A kid is gonna run down everything and everyone they see whether it's GTA or Mario Kart so why would you think there'd be a difference just because in GTA they are actual people? The kid's unlikely to see them as anything more than the game getting in the way.

You'd be surprised how many parents let their kids play GTA full-well knowing what it is. It doesn't really change people like some would have you believe. The problem isn't with the game but with the child and their environment. Some kids can play a game like GTA and still be the most productive adults of their generation.

• Brohoof 1

I played both Vice City and San Andreas with my brother when I was a kid. Our father didn't like us playing them due to the language (even today, he won't let me get anything that has foul language in it). Our mom couldn't have cared less, though.

• Brohoof 1

To add onto what I said earlier, just finished playing Far Cry 3 (yeah yeah, I'm behind, but I took a break then moved and just now hooked up my PS3 today) and the choice between letting your friends live and leave the island versus killing them and staying to be a warrior god is not exactly a choice that I would ever, EVER, consider "childish"

• Brohoof 1

I don't believe it's childish.

It's a good way to enjoy your time and be immersed into another world beyond our own, a way to take a break from our personal lives.

Also people have turned it into their jobs via Youtube and the like.

• Brohoof 1

Of course not. So many adults/people play games and especially 3DS systems. I'm asking for the 3DS XL for Christmas. There is nothing wrong with playing a good game from time to time.

• Brohoof 1

No, i don't think it's childish.

There are games like The Last Of Us and Heavy Rain which are more story driven experiences that actually feel like watching an adult rated film. It's just entertainment purposes.

You could say that certain games that are childish, but to be honest these games are for everyone.

Also, gaming is a big part of my childhood and myself as a person.

Not when there are professional gamers who make money from playing competitively. I think someone mentioned it already but there are lots of conventions and tournaments for gaming worldwide. They award lots of money yearly. There are childish games but gaming is just another time filling hobby, like woodworking or art.

Saying gaming is childish is like saying watching TV is racist because a single programme used a racial term.

Absolutely not. The age of the average gamer is around the mid 20's to early 30's. Don't forget that as gaming has gotten older, so has its playerbase. ;)

Sure, childish like games do exist, but thats hardly a reason to say the entire industry is childish. When games like Mario became popular in the mid 80's sure enough people said "Oh, look at this new distraction for our children." But it wasn't long before adults we're getting sucked into the craze themselves.. heck most of the things involved with gaming today, like tournaments and the like, were started by passionate adult gamers.

Case in point; I don't think there's very much in gaming that can be considered inherently childish.

Besides, I hate putting an age label on anything personally. What does it matter what age you are when it comes to your interests?

I don't see how gaming is childish... Most if the games today invole sex,drugs,blood,fighting etc

No parent would allow their child fo play video games like these because of these contest.

Now if you were playing child games that I could understand but I like child games so I see no problem with playing them if you enjoy them..

Games are as childish as any other form of entertainment, so honestly don't worry about it. Anything that isn't "productive" can be considered childish, it doesn't matter whether it's actually "for kids" or not.

It doesn't really matter. Don't forgo video games because "adults" are being sticks-in-the-mud.

Edited by TenorSounds

Games are as childish as any other form of entertainment, so honestly don't worry about it. Anything that isn't "productive" can be considered childish, it doesn't matter whether it's actually "for kids" or not.

It doesn't really matter. Don't forgo video games because "adults" are being sticks-in-the-mud.

Not to mention that any artistic medium can be used as inspiration for people to do something with their lives whether it's making more games, writing books or even inventing a machine based on something they saw/played/read. There's more to it than the immediate usage of video games.

• Brohoof 2

Gaming's not any more childish than watching movies/TV shows or reading books for example really. Any form of entertainment is a form of escape in a way, which can be childish at times but usually isn't... that's just how I feel anyway. :wacko:

Your big brother thinks videogames are childish? Wow just wow...Tell him to go play some Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, Or Call of Duty etc. and THEN try saying he thinks videogames are childish lol.

I'm guessing he's never heard of M Rated games has he?

Edited by Asbel Lhant

First of all, admin/mods, feel free to throw this to other section if you see fit / merge it if there has been a thread about it. Also, I hope I see no pitchforks and flame in this thread.

Okay, so I asked my big brother whether I can buy things on Black Friday, he replied with yes, except game stuff. I was disappointed/little heartbroken, since I've been wanting to get 3DS for a while now and snag Pokemon OR/AS.

But, it got me thinking. My big bro's mindset is set to the fact that gaming is things child would do. There's no point wasting time playing games and he thought it's an immature things to play video games. He used to play but abandoned it years ago, possibly because he has a good sense of responsibility.

So, my question is to you guys, is gaming projects childishness?

If gaming is childish, that would make television for toddlers.

Comparison:

Watching TV: Sitting in front of a television, mindlessly staring at whatever garbage comes on.

Console Gaming: Sitting in front of a TV, controlling the actions and life of a fictional character, thinking, reacting, making decisions, some games even have consequences for those decisions, all in all, the more mentally active of the two things.

Handheld gaming isn't a bad thing, either, though I'd prefer to read a book or something when other people would normally handheld game. That doesn't stop me from drooling over pokemon every year though. XD

Your big brother thinks videogames are childish? Wow just wow...Tell him to go play some Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, Or Call of Duty etc. and THEN try saying he thinks videogames are childish lol.

I'm guessing he's never heard of M Rated games has he?

Resident Evil is the only game on there I'd recommend to someone who thinks games are childish. There's nothing mature or adult about GTA or CoD. Nothing that would convince someone who thought games were childish, anyway.

A better decision would be something like The Last Of Us or a Fallout game.

If gaming is childish, that would make television for toddlers.

Comparison:

Watching TV: Sitting in front of a television, mindlessly staring at whatever garbage comes on.

Console Gaming: Sitting in front of a TV, controlling the actions and life of a fictional character, thinking, reacting, making decisions, some games even have consequences for those decisions, all in all, the more mentally active of the two things.

Handheld gaming isn't a bad thing, either, though I'd prefer to read a book or something when other people would normally handheld game. That doesn't stop me from drooling over pokemon every year though. XD

Handheld gaming isn't particularly different from console gaming, really. Handhelds are more limited in what it can do but that won't change the content. More often than not handheld gaming appeals to adults more than console or PC gaming since it can be played while in transit to work or when you have to go places you have to wait long periods of time like doctor's offices.