• Red
    • Orange
    • Yellow/Blonde
    • Green
    • Blue
    • Purple
    • Pink
    • White
  2. 2. Hair Color You Want/Feel You Have (if you want to pick for both, go ahead)

• Black
    • Grey/Silver
    • Brown/Auburn
    • Red
    • Orange
    • Yellow/Blonde
    • Green
    • Blue
    • Purple
    • Pink
    • White

So I was talking to my friend about hair colors in anime, and how they relate to what kind of personality they (usually) have. Speaking as a red-head, I have basically 3 different ones I could pick from, being red, orange, and pink. Unfortunately, I have about all of their personalities mixed sooooo... Yeah, that's still being decided on. So while I think of what I am, why not have a little fun and see what everyone else is like? Who knows, you might find some new friends this way! Here's the list:

Black:

Mysterious, refined, traditional, cerebral, capable, powerful, independent, sad, cruel, macabre   

As opposed to their bright-colored friends, black hair can define a character as being more traditional. Black is a neutral color that is associated with positive personal traits. These characters tend to be deep thinkers that can see the “big picture”, and seldom need advice.

Grey/Silver:

Calm, balanced, demure, sophisticated, sublime, logical, composed, disguised, obscene, irreverent

Grey-haired characters have a mix of moral black & white—much like their hair. They are “do-it-your-selfers” with problem solving methods beyond the status quo. Characters may also have grey hair to emphasize a modest, self-less nature. Also, while not always evil, may have a hidden power.

Brown/Auburn:

Approachable, comfortable, temperate, charming, practical, consistent, sincere, enduring, predictable, boring

The staple color of any stock character or “normal” person, brown is also a common color for the main protagonist. When characters have darker or lighter brown hair, they often absorb the traits of yellow or black. This color can be deceiving, as a character with this hair color may be far from normal.

Red:

Passionate, seductive, feisty, enthusiastic, adventurous, dynamic, primal, hot-headed, aggressive, opinionated

For red-headed characters, the western “hot-head” stereotype is true. Tsundere alert: their emotions are explosive! Strangely, male protagonists with red hair are often calm, humble, and disciplined fighters.

Orange:

Courageous, loyal, spirited, optimistic, unpredictable, brazen, testy, selfish, annoying, attention-seeking

Orange-haired characters have a personality combination between red and yellow. They can be very interesting in that they have the courage and  fire of a ginger, but with less rage and more optimism. The down-side is that they can be attention whores, which can be annoying.

Yellow/Blonde:

Confident, happy, romantic, artful, whimsical, Naïve, ditzy, impish, manipulative, callous, stubborn

Although not absolute, blondes loosely fall into three camps:

1.) Dumb blonde: They may also lack maturity, and have selfish attitudes.

2.) Troublemaker: Unwittingly attracts chaos. They have street-smarts, charm, and plenty of tricks.

3.) Prince: This protagonist is rare, and demonstrates the western “prince charming” archetype. This hero/heroine is chivalrous, humble, and pure.

Blonde may be an assigned to indicate a character has foreign ancestry. Usually European/American.

Green:

Easy-going, trustworthy, docile, enlightened, tolerant, rejuvenating, of raw energy, roguish, imprudent, poisonous, jealous

A cross between warm and cool colors, green imparts a unique energy to a character. Like mother nature, green is capable of an evolving, healing atmosphere as well as bringing destruction and decay.  These characters tend to side with the protagonists, even with bad first-impressions.

Blue:

Wise, impartial, talented, mature, intuitive, introverted, concerned with science, justice, reason

Cool like water. While not always noticed, their influence is clearly felt (also like the element of wind). Blue-haired characters have many hidden talents, and a keen awareness of the emotions of themselves and others. Unlike black-haired characters, they are not averse to seeking advice. With their smarts and even-handedness, they often play the role of teachers, tacticians, and confidants. The darker the hair, the more responsible–but they may be an elitist jerk. Supernatural abilities are common to blue hair.

Purple:

Powerful, privileged, noble, elegant, intriguing, restless, fickle, conflicted, pompous, egotistical

Purple-haired characters rarely have to assert power through force; they are entitled to it. Full of hubris or out of touch with other characters, their goals may revolve around prestige and the acquiring of material possessions. Protagonists with purple hair must face the challenge of balancing the red and blue oni within themselves.

Pink:

Benevolent, feminine, youthful, innocent, cheerful, cute, orderly, accomplished, gullible, frustrated  

Characters with pink hair may at first seem saccharine, but their natural charisma combined with their desire for order can bring about a positive change in others. Pink haired characters can have a great destiny. Whatever their sexual orientation, male characters with pink hair can be perverse. Perhaps this is to accentuate/overcompensate for the feminine connotations of pink. Characters with bright pink hair may share some personality traits with red-heads.

White:

Pure, ethereal, magical, serene, lucid, mature, humble, indifferent, narcissistic, immoral

A strange, inhuman essence surrounds white-haired characters. Their purity can be unnatural and over-sanitized. These characters are usually strong-willed, skillful, and dignified. If a woman, it is common that she is either magical or of the spiritual realm. If the character is a guy, he usually has a broken moral compass, and is an anti-hero–on a good day. If he is a bishonen, odds are he is bisexual/homosexual. Egotism is common, and if inflicted with an injury (however minor–especially to the face) these characters will go berserk.

The combination of white hair and tan skin can indicate middle-eastern/foreign ancestry. In this case, the above description does not apply.

So, feel free to see what you are most like, and what others are most like!

*Note*

I am using this website (link at end) for the descriptions on personality, so if you have another website with different ones, just ignore that and use the ones above so everyone is on the same page. If you hate anime, that's fine, this isn't really designed only for anime-lovers, you can still have fun figuring out what you are more like/want to be like whether or not you enjoy anime. For mods/admins looking at this, I figured Media would be best because I am going off of anime, but if you want to move it to General Discussion that's cool too (might even get more people looking at it). Alright, enough rambling, I'll end it here, have fun!

Link to site I used: https://annesanimeblog.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/anime-hair-colors-what-do-they-mean-an-all-in-one-personality-guide/

Edited by KokuraiNoSenshi
  • Brohoof 2

I have brown hair in reality. However, when I draw myself in anime/comic style, I always colour my hair blue. The description wasn't too far off actually. I love green (favourite colour) so I wouldn't mind having that, but I feel blue is more appropriate :)

Hm, when analyzing it that way, it does make sense, I've always had a personal thing for the blue anime heroines like sayaka miki, and reading this, it is in a way accurate

Though the silver one sounds just as great as well, something I would like to have next to the blue one

• Brohoof 1