Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The story so far, in 12 episodes

VitalSpark

The situation is this: if you could show somebody twelve episodes of MLP:FIM, and they were then going to start watching regularly from season 5, what twelve episodes would you pick?

This is a similar thread to "if you could only pick one episode to show a non-brony". While the aim of that other thread is to find an episode that will get people hooked, here we also want them to get to a stage where no potential season 5 plot-line is likely to confuse them. We want them to be familiar with all the key characters, and the situations that the ponies are likely to find themselves in.

Here are my picks:

• Friendship is Magic, part 1
  • Friendship is Magic, part 2
  • Call of the Cutie
  • Cutie Mark Chronicles
  • A Friend in Deed
  • Sleepless in Ponyville
  • Apple Family Reunion
  • Keep Calm & Flutter On
  • Magical Mystery Cure
  • Rarity Takes Manehatten
  • Twilight's Kingdom, part 1
  • Twilight's Kingdom, part 2

I think this set provide good character development for the mane 6:

• Twilight Sparkle: Friendship is Magic, Magical Mystery Cure, Twilight's Kingdom
  • Applejack: Apple Family Reunion
  • Rainbow Dash: Sleepless in Ponyville
  • Rarity: Rarity Takes Manehatten
  • Fluttershy: Keep Calm & Flutter On
  • Pinkie Pie: A Friend in Deed

The Cutie Mark Crusaders are also introduced through Call of the Cutie and Cutie Mark Chronicles.

Although Keep Calm & Flutter On is not Discord's first episode, I think it provides a reasonable introduction for his character, so his appearance later in Twilight's Kingdom would not be out of the blue.

Call of the Cutie and Cutie Mark Chronicles also introduce cutie marks, and their role in pony culture.

Twilight's Kingdom introduces Twilight's castle, likely to be a key location from season 5 onwards.

It also includes some of the best music, such as Smile SongA True, True Friend, and You'll Play Your Part.

With only 12 episodes, there was bound to be some stuff left out. I would have liked to include character development for Spike. I would have liked a proper intro for Princess Cadence (if you just watched the above, she would seem to appear out of nowhere in Twilight's Kingdom, part 1). The Great and Powerful Trixie is likely to make a re-appearance at some point, and we haven't covered her back-story.

Can you do better?

Edited by Vital Spark

I think that it is a good set, although I disagree with some of the episodes. It is very harsh because your missing out so many good episodes. But if you have to pick 12 episodes to show a non bronys you need to give them the main picture, so this these are my picks.

1. Friendship Is Magic, Part 1

2. Friendship Is Magic, Part 2

3. Call Of The Cutie

4. The Cutie Mark Chronicles

5. Luna Eclipsed

6 The Last Roundup

7. Sisterhooves Social

8. A Friend In Deed

9. Hurricane Fluttershy

10. Magical Mystery Cure

11. Twilight's Kingdom, Part 1

12. Twilight's Kingdom, Part 2

Edited by Arctofire

I tried a couple of times to make a list, but considering all of the season openers and finales couldn't even fit into 12 episodes, and a lot of them aren't even great episodes, I just finally gave up on catching someone up. This isn't Lost or Battlestar Galactica we're talking about here. It's pretty easy to fill in gaps. Plus it's the mid season episodes that are really the heart of this show. If Twilight was just going Super Saiyan on giant monsters all the time and we skipped over character development, then "Twilight's Kingdom" would feel kind of flat.

So I'd just say do with whatever episodes you think are in the top 12.

• Brohoof 1

I don't usually ask my friends to watch anything, but if I do, I probably consider PMV, clips and fan art rather than a whole episode to start. Introducing a few ponies first whom my friends may be interested in. Personally I prefer episodes that are more casual than serious ones.

I'm going to cheat a little by counting 2 part episodes as only 1.  In order

# 1 & 2 Friendship is Magic  The pilot.  1st Appearance all Mane 6 & Spike, T moves to Ponyville, Elements of Harmony assigned

# 23 Cutie Mark Chronicles  Probably more back story than all the other episodes combined.  Shows T's relationship with Princess C

either # 7 Dragonshy or #48 Hurricane Fluttershy  Establishes F's character

either # 29 Lesson Zero or # 46 It's About Time  Establishes T's character

# 15 Feeling Pinkie Keen P's character & some of T's Great scenes where Derpy drops crap on T's head, & T finds Gummy in bathtub

#11 Winter Wrap Up  Shows ponies controlling seasons, good T characterization, great scene where T sticks head into snake's nest Great song

# 27 & 28 Return of Harmony 1st (& IMO the best) Discord, some of the best scenes in the series

# 39 Hearth's Warming Eve  How can you leave out the Xmas show? Plus, one of few w much EQ history

# 51 & 52 Canterlot Wedding T at her worst (p 1) & best (p2).  Introduces Princess Cadence & Shining Armor.  Some back story on T

# 65 Magical Mystery Cure T promoted to Alicorn, key to understanding season 4, great songs, some of best tender moments in show

# 84 For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils R's character & relation w Sweetie Belle, shows Luna controlling dream, some CMCs

# 90 & 91 Twilight's Kingdom  Most bronies rate this Best Fight Scene EVER! T's home is destroyed & new castle shown.  Redefines their relationship w Discord

This was picked more for key plot elements & Bro, you are loosing about 90% of the best scenes  Fluttershy loosing it in Best Night Ever or falling scene in Secret of My Excess (maybe best tender moment in series) or R's scene in Dog & Pony Show (That's not whining, that's complaining! This is whining!) or Flight to the Finish or One Bad Apple (good CMC episodes, GREAT song videos) or Dash at the Wonderbolt's Academy or where Pinkie gives up being Party Planner to avoid hurting her friends, or... Well, you get the point