Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are Celestia and Luna princesses and not Queen(s)?

Lady Rarity Pony

From the looks of it they are the highest "ranking" political figures, shouldn't they have the highest female leadership title?

It's possible that them being princesses is due to their being two of them and neither of them necessarily being above the other. Though if that is the case, wouldn't Luna (Nightmare Moon) being banished to the moon have made Celestia lone ruler over Equestria...making her Queen Celestia?

Edited by Lady Rarity Pony

I think it might have something to do with the fact that many children's cartoons have princesses as the main character, and seeing as My little pony WAS aimed at young girls...

I don't know if I worded what I said correctly in a way that makes correct sense.

although you do make an interesting point.

Edited by flare03

MLP is girly. Princesses are girly. Queens are not girly.

... in all seriousness though, I think there was an interview or something in which that was brought up, and the response was more or less that.

Edited by Zoop

Lauren Faust's original Equestria bible had Queen Celestia in it (don't know about Luna - I imagine there can only be one queen at a time). But Hasbro insisted that her title be changed to Princess for marketing reasons. Apparently, "princess" sells more toys than "queen".

That's the official reason, really. Celestia was meant to be a queen, and they didn't rewrite her script when Hasbro requested this change, so she still acts like one.

• Brohoof 2

Because princesses are stereotypically girly and cute. And I don't know about you, but when I was 8 years old the only queens I really knew about were the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland, and Marie Antoinette. Both of which are heavily involved in decapitation :P Not something you want in a kids show usually. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

*pretending to cater to any group*

Let's say somehow, people who'd make any kind of group outside of little girls got a hold of this. Princess implies two parents, and allows the possibility of children. That makes at least three fanon characters, where a Queen only can bring possible kids.

I'm overreaching, but it sounds good to me.

Technically in Medeival Times you were a prince or princess unless you were married even if the king/queen died and you succeeded them you are still a princess unless you got married.

Technically in Medeival Times you were a prince or princess unless you were married even if the king/queen died and you succeeded them you are still a princess unless you got married.

I'm not sure that's true - if you succeeded a king or queen regnant then your position would also be king or queen, as you're the head of state of a KINGdom. I think it may have been considered unseemly for an adult king or queen to be single, and people certainly wanted their monarchs to be married to they could get to making heirs, but whether you were married or not didn't factor into what your official title was.

I would like to point out that "Princess" - whilst a lower title than "Queen" - can still be used as the title of a sovereign monarch, which is how it is used in Monaco, Liechtenstein, and Andorra (which, like Equestria, is a co-principality with two co-monarchs). In a European system of monarchy, "Empress/Emperor" would be the highest - and coolest - title a monarch could claim.

Kids have learned to attribute Princess to good and Queen to evil through Disney.

They wanted to call them Queens but Hasbro said no.

They rolled with Princess.

I agree, the mental bias in kids mind is understandable Edited by Ice

Really depends, there were so many different monarchies and many didn't share the same method of Kings and Queens.

Really depends, there were so many different monarchies and many didn't share the same method of Kings and Queens.

I've actually never heard of a monarchy which required someone to be married before they can be a King or a Queen - the only example of this kind of law I can think of is in Shrek, which isn't exactly an accurate historical source.

I've actually never heard of a monarchy which required someone to be married before they can be a King or a Queen - the only example of this kind of law I can think of is in Shrek, which isn't exactly an accurate historical source.

xD

Me neither, I've heard plenty of other ways but not that one.

More importantly, why are Celestia and Luna the only Pegasi that also have horns? Their horns are also bigger, and a bit more ornate then the smaller pony unicorns. My personal belief is that the Princesses are Equestrian Goddesses.

(Maybe aliens)

More importantly, why are Celestia and Luna the only Pegasi that also have horns? Their horns are also bigger, and a bit more ornate then the smaller pony unicorns. My personal belief is that the Princesses are Equestrian Goddesses.

(Maybe aliens)

I believe they are alicorns, I don't know all the differences but that may answer something :P

I believe they are alicorns, I don't know all the differences but that may answer something :P

Alicorn is the name of the substance that unicorn horns are supposedly made of. Unfortunately, it isn't the name of winged unicorns.

They have no real official name. Some people have called them Silver Pegasi, so that's what I call them (mainly because it sounds cooler). Don't ask me why they did, I don't know. They're not literally silver. Actually, the first 'Silver Pegasus' depicted in a picture was more of a white color than a silver color.

According to a myth I read, some of the gods had a huge argument over whether Unicorns, or Pegasi are the true rulers of the horses (I can't remember what they called them; it wasn't horses, but I'll just use that word for simplicity sake). Well, a Unicorn and Pegasus were in love while there was a huge war between the Unicorns and Pegasi (because when gods have arguments, wars happen). The Unicorn and Pegasus eventually mated, and their child was a Pegasus with a Unicorn horn. The gods looked at this marvel, the best of both worlds, and deemed it to be the true ruler of all horses.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

Alicorn is the name of the substance that unicorn horns are supposedly made of. Unfortunately, it isn't the name of winged unicorns.

They have no real official name. Some people have called them Silver Pegasi, so that's what I call them (mainly because it sounds cooler). Don't ask me why they did, I don't know. They're not literally silver. Actually, the first 'Silver Pegasus' depicted in a picture was more of a white color than a silver color.

According to a myth I read, some of the gods had a huge argument over whether Unicorns, or Pegasi are the true rulers of the horses (I can't remember what they called them; it wasn't horses, but I'll just use that word for simplicity sake). Well, a Unicorn and Pegasus were in love while there was a huge war between the Unicorns and Pegasi (because when gods have arguments, wars happen). The Unicorn and Pegasus eventually mated, and their child was a Pegasus with a Unicorn horn. The gods looked at this marvel, the best of both worlds, and deemed it to be the true ruler of all horses.

Celestia and Luna are called alicorns.