Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has FiM been growing with its target audience lately?

TheMisterManGuy

Generaly, Friendship is Magic is (or was) aimed at young girls 2-11 years old. But with later seasons of the show, It seems that's changed a bit. those 2-11 year old girls who have been with the show since 2010 are now around 6-14 years old. A third of that audience is already becoming interested in more complex shows. The first season was pretty down to earth, and generally lacked characters acting cynical or snarky. Plus, it was the most SoL season of the show yet. Season 2 added a bit of snark and cynicism, granted it led to a few infamous episodes like Putting Your Hoof Down. Season 3 introduced some darker concepts like Dark magic, and Sombera's reign. As well as having Twilight ascend to Princesshood. Season 4 ramped up the show's worldbuilding and adventure aspects much more, and toyed around with some mature storytelling in a few episodes. And Season 5 looks to introduce a lot of travelling as well as more surreal elements. 

It seems the show is aging with its audience as the seasons go by, while still staying true to its roots and entertaining younger girls as well. This is actually similar to what ReBoot did with its later seasons. So how do you think Season 5 will grow? This is just wishful thinking, but I would like the writers to experiment with the concept of death, provided they can at least get a TV-Y7 rating.

The series in general has slowly but surely been evolving into something meaningful and worthy that most will appreciate, otherwise the show would have bombed a while ago

With season 5, I will say it has been growing in to many others, even so considering it's about to be it's fifth anniversary in 2015, so it's fitting to say the least

I noticed a great decline in anti-bronies, and a general increase in bronies! Since i've been here, there wasn't very many members. Now look at the constants~
Who knew as a community we could grow!

• Brohoof 1

I thought the target audience was around 6 so it is possible that the nature of the episodes change over time or maybe it isn't. I still think that despite the targeting of a particular audience, the show still stands on its own merit due to gaining so many other fans.

Generaly, Friendship is Magic is (or was) aimed at young girls 2-11 years old. But with later seasons of the show, It seems that's changed a bit. those 2-11 year old girls who have been with the show since 2010 are now around 6-14 years old. A third of that audience is already becoming interested in more complex shows. The first season was pretty down to earth, and generally lacked characters acting cynical or snarky. Plus, it was the most SoL season of the show yet. Season 2 added a bit of snark and cynicism, granted it led to a few infamous episodes like Putting Your Hoof Down. Season 3 introduced some darker concepts like Dark magic, and Sombera's reign. As well as having Twilight ascend to Princesshood. Season 4 ramped up the show's worldbuilding and adventure aspects much more, and toyed around with some mature storytelling in a few episodes. And Season 5 looks to introduce a lot of travelling as well as more surreal elements. 

It seems the show is aging with its audience as the seasons go by, while still staying true to its roots and entertaining younger girls as well. This is actually similar to what ReBoot did with its later seasons. So how do you think Season 5 will grow? This is just wishful thinking, but I would like the writers to experiment with the concept of death, provided they can at least get a TV-Y7 rating.

I've notice too, since here in Latinamerica, episodes re runs are inconsistent, so we can watch a S4 episode alongside a previous season episode, so, for me is easier for me to notice the change in dynamic each subsequent season. It's specially evident with CMCs episodes, as they started with silly mischief and attempts to get their cutie marks, to more grown-up problems like envy, serious insecurities, independence... now that I think of it, those plots sounds like more preteen problems instead of kid problems :lol:  . That's being the main reason I made this thread 

http://mlpforums.com/topic/116184-you-think-the-cmcs-will-grow-up/

Season 4 tried to appeal to a wider audience. But this new inclusions felt kinda meaningless, out of character. It felt pretty much like a downgrade on consciousness at some points. Losing its essence.

I do hope they put a good effort this time.

Not aging. But growing up instead. There's an infinity of difference in between this two.

It definitely has been doing that, and it's very evident in things like character development, continuity, Twilicorn, and the rising stakes of the show with more adventure elements, progressively bigger and bolder two-parters, stronger continuity, and stronger morals.

• Brohoof 2

It definitely has been doing that, and it's very evident in things like character development, continuity, Twilicorn, and the rising stakes of the show with more adventure elements, progressively bigger and bolder two-parters, stronger continuity, and stronger morals.

Yeah, I hope season 5 continues to build upon the some of the changes 4 introduced.

• Brohoof 1

I honestly think- wait, 2 YEAR OLDS? Can 2 year olds even understand a plot in an episode? Plots in MLP can be very confusing, even for me. :muffins:

Anyways, I can agree that the show's rating should be bumped up to at least a TV-Y7 rating. I mean, does a TV-Y rated show have scenes like this? http://youtu.be/wwZ4suij8oM

I've heard of kids who are under the age of 7 who enjoy the show, but they obviously don't enjoy it for the same reason bronies do. Yeah, there are still kids out there in the target age demographic who watch the show. I've always considered the show to be for tweens to adults, not little kids. Maybe someday the show will be considered for older people, who knows.

• Brohoof 1

I feel that FIM is getting more serious..... Remember when the biggest threat to Equestria was it being night forever?..... And now look at the season 4 finale..... The stakes are now life and death with the villain.... More complex problems are being explored, and the show as a whole is getting deeper.

• 1 month later...

it would be lovely to think that but by the time girls are in their early teens all they care about is phones and social media not ponies anymore :/ although my little sis loves it i got her into it but still i think it's a kinda freaky bond we have that noone else gets like we broke into the evil enchantress ong in front of our mum and she was like WTF?