Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Forums MLB Baseball Thread

Doctor XFizzle

Baseball is my favorite sport to watch and one of my favorites to play, tough I'm not that good in it. ^_^ Favorite Baseball team would be the New York Yankees!

• Brohoof 1

I already have it for Google Chrome! It's awesome! And yep, I'm a Jays fan!

Yes! I cannot withhold my happiness right now! Go Jays! :3

Six-pitcher combined no-no in Seattle! 1-0, Mariners, the final! Posted Image André Ethier grounded out to end it.

We're only in mid-June, and we have four no-hitters already!

• Brohoof 1

No-hitter #5 has arrived tonight in the form of a perfect game! Matt Cain threw a perfect game tonight against Houston, 10-0, striking out fourteen to tie Sandy Koufax for the most strikeouts during a perfect game.

After having only one season where two perfectos were thrown, this is the second in THREE seasons to have two perfect games in one season. And even more oddly…this is our THIRD no-hitter in less than three weeks!

(edited)

More pitching accolades!

Add Seattle and Matt Cain to the list!

So far we have

Phil Humber (CWS) - Perfecto

Jered Weaver (LAA) - No-no

Johan Santana (NYM) - No-no

Seattle Mariners Starter and Bullpen - No-no

Matt Cain (SF) - Perfecto

Edited by Doctor XFizzle

(edited)

I still remember fully when 2010 was dubbed "The Year of the Pitcher II" after seeing all of those astounding pitching perfomrances, from the two perfect games to R.A. Dickey's one-hitter against the Phillies (I was there, BTW) to Roy Hallady's no-hitter in the playoffs against the Reds.

Well, right now, we should make this "The Decade of the Pitcher." There are so many fabulous young pitchers, especially ones who can throw hard and for strikes! The collective ERA has been dipping, and runs scored per game has dropped, too. I believe the reason we're seeing so many no-hitters, a lower average of runs per game, and so many healthy pitchers right now are as follows:

1. Fantastic young starting pitching who can throw hard with command. Excellent fastball followed by great secondary pitches. Some of them have completely SICK changeups! Matt Cain's thirteenth strikeout during last night's perfect game came on a changeup down and in.

2. The five-day routine. Previously, there used to be a four-man rotation and then a three-man rotation. More outings equal more innings pitched and more wear on the arms. We've seen how much damage the four-man rotation did to pitcher's arms. Sandy Koufax and Mel Stottlemyre retired early because of the workload. The deeper rotation equals more days of rest for their arms and more variety of pitchers the hitters must face.

3. The stricter drug testing. Steroids are no longer bring ignored, and there are major consequences for testing positive for them. But more importantly, HGH is being tested via blood tests. But even more importantly, amphetamines are banned. Often, we've heard about players taking "the greens" to boost their energy. Now, because amphetamines are tested as a banned substance, the batters lose energy/power quicker, meaning they don't hit the ball with a lot of oomph. Less power from hitters equals less home runs, and more tired the batter, the less hits they'll collect.

We're now in an era of baseball that we haven't seen in about four decades. While plenty of players can still hit, young starting pitching—combined with stricter testing—has now resulted in pitching becoming more and more dominant. Just last season, runs per game were at its worst since 1992 (4.22 runs per game, I think). While they've gone up slightly this year to 4.30, overpowering, dominant starting pitching has become the main focus. And with plenty of more great pitchers coming up to the big leagues, I have a really big feeling that this "Year of the Pitcher" is in its prime and is only going to become even better.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Meanwhile, who woulda thunk a 30-something knuckleballer---the last knuckleball pitcher in the Major Leagues---might be the starting pitcher for the National League this year at the All-Star game?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Several historic moments occurred from Cain's perfect game from last night:

1. It was the fourteenth no-hitter in the Giant's 130-year history, but their first perfect game.

2. Cain tied the record for most strikeouts for a perfect game with fourteen, tying Sandy Koufax in 1965 when he threw his perfecto against the Cubs. (That game, BTW, was the last time the Cubs were no-hit. The Dodgers had one hit in the entire game, and it came in the seventh when they were already scored their lone run.)

3. At 125 pitches, it was the most pitches thrown by a pitcher for a perfect game.

4. It was the third no-hitter in twelve days! The last time three no-hitters occurred in less than two weeks was in 1917!

5. According to Sabermetrics, Cain had a score of 101, tying Sandy Koufax for the best score for a perfect game. The best pitcher's score is 105 by Kerry Wood when he struck out twenty batters on May 6, 1998 against an excellent Houston Astros squad.

6. Matt Cain had a hit last night, making him the first pitcher to throw a perfect game and get a hit since the Montréal Expos's Dennis Martínez on July 28, 1991, when he threw his perfect game against the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium. Cain's also the first pitcher to get a hit AND score a run during a perfect game.

7. It is the ninth perfect game in NL history, the first to do it at home since the Reds's Tom Browning against the eventual champion Los Angeles Dodgers in 1988.

8. It was first time since September 2008 that the Astros were no-hit. They were no-hit by the Cubs at Milwaukee on that day.

8A. The Astros have NEVER been no-hit in Houston; the lone time they were no-hit as the home team occurred in 2008 when the Cubs faced them at a neutral site. The Astros were the designated home team that day.

9. This marks the second time in three seasons that we've had five no-hitters in the middle of June. Previously, the time that happened was in 1990 when the A's Dave Stewart and the Dodgers's Fernando Valenzuela each threw a no-hitter against Toronto and St. Louis, respectively.

10. Brian Runge, the umpire behind home plate during Humber's perfect game and the M's combined no-no last week, was the third base umpire. Ted Barrett called balls and strikes last night, making him the first home plate umpire for two perfect games. The other one was David Cone's in July 1999 versus Montréal. Marvin Hudson, who called balls and strikes during Armando Galarraga's "28-outer," had the night off; Mark Muchlinski took his place as the first base umpire. Dale Scott from that same crew wasn't there, either, replaced by Angel Gomez at second base.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Count ’em:

5 no-hitters.

2 perfect games.

This. Season.

And we're not even halfway through the schedule yet!

Speaking of which, the O's Tommy Hunter retired twelve consecutive Pirates before giving up a two-ball-two-strike single to Garrett Jones to lead off the top of the fifth inning. With every team scoring at least two hits, there will be no no-hitter tonight.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have to apologize for posting this late, but what the hey.

What a night that Matt Cain will never, ever forget. 14 strikeouts, scored a run, the night was indeed perfect. Kudos on now being a part of baseball history that people will remember for years to come.

Also to add, since we have some users that talk about fantasy baseball, I'm suggesting that we should create a thread, exclusively for the fantasy sport, so we won't have to mix the discussions of regular baseball and fantasy baseball.

Edited by Deemo

I have to apologize for posting this late, but what the hey.

What a night that Matt Cain will never, ever forget. 14 strikeouts, scored a run, the night was indeed perfect. Kudos on now being a part of baseball history that people will remember for years to come.

Also to add, since we have some users that talk about fantasy baseball, I'm suggesting that we should create a thread, exclusively for the fantasy sport, so we won't have to mix the discussions of regular baseball and fantasy baseball.

Couldn't agree more he tied Sandy Koufax's single game record. =D

We could also make our own fantasy league on ESPN fantasy, I'm pretty sure it's free to make one