Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Celestia get a free pass to do whatever she wants?

Bendy

Does Celestia get a free pass to do whatever she wants?  

14 users have voted

1. 1. Does Celestia get a free pass to do whatever she wants?

• No. She can't do that.
    • She's a goddess. Therefore she can do whatever she wants.

Does Celestia get a free pass to do whatever she wants? Yet.... still the be 'good guy girl' no matter what and not suffer any consequences for her actions?

I have encountered people in this fandom that think just because Celestia is a goddess (God of such) she can do whatever the hell she wants. And is portrayed as such in some fan fictions.

She can hurl stars across the universe and wipe out countless sapient species for fun. She can act like a Reaper from Mass Effect, thus assimilate and destroy the minds and bodies of an entire sapient species, by forcing them to become ponies. Literally anything that otherwise would be evil for a so called 'lesser being' to do, but because she's a goddess therefore she apparently can do it freely.

Edited by Rush

She can hurl stars across the universe and wipe out countless sapient species for fun. She can act like a Reaper from Mass Effect, thus assimilate and destroy the minds and bodies of an entire sapient species, by forcing them to become ponies. Literally anything that otherwise would be evil for a so called 'lesser being' to do, but because she's a goddess therefore she apparently she can do it freely.

Yes.
But she won't do any of that because she knows better.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yes.

Might makes 'right'?

What if she hypothetically got corrupted (somehow) and become something like the dark lord Sauron? She's still technically a goddess, does that mean she can still do whatever she wants?

Edited by Rush

What if she hypothetically got corrupted (somehow) and become something like the dark lord Sauron? She's still technically a goddess, does mean she can be still do whatever she wants?

If she becomes corrupted and starts acting evil, she will be taken down by force from those who are capable (say, Twilight), just like every other villain in the show so far, yes.

This scenario is exactly what happened to her sister in the past, by the way.

Edited by Zejgar
  • Brohoof 1

Yes.

This.

She CAN do that stuff, but if she does she's no longer the good guy.

And so, she won't do it, because she knows better, as this good fellow said.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know why people would think she's all that powerful anyway. We've seen her get her ass kicked multiple times in this show.

Raising and lowering the sun is impressive, but the show hasn't given us any reason to think that Equestria's sun is anything like ours, and likely nowhere near as massive.

• Brohoof 1

I'm getting whiffs of Chatatoyance and TCB from this very line of questioning. Just for the sake of argument though, I would say no.

Thing is, Celestia wouldn't do those things precisely because she knows that they are wrong. Yes, Celestia is somewhat deified both in-universe and out, and not too unjustifiably either, but that doesn't make her amoral. The reason I personally place her in the role of a goddess is not because of her power, but because of her wisdom. She's not a deity because she can move the sun, she's one because she is the highest moral authority.

Why do you think many people in real life believe in a personal God? Because such a theoretical intelligence is powerful, or because It loves every one of us unconditionally?

Celestia doing anything evil and not suffering the consequence is simply, out of character, and therefore Celestia herself isn't to blame but the person portraying her that way.

Yeah, the scourge of life itself there. (sarcasm)

Edited by Steel Accord

Does Celestia get a free pass to do whatever she wants? Yet.... still the be 'good guy girl' no matter what and not suffer any consequences for her actions?

We do see her get punished for her actions. She's not a sociopath, as some would believe; every mistake she makes, good or bad, falls on her mind. She spent a thousand years killing herself over Luna's banishment, presumably still puts what happened to Sunset Shimmer on her own shoulders. Every mistake and issue in Equestria would naturally fall on her shoulders too, and she has to deal with all of that for thousands of years. This:

She can hurl stars across the universe and wipe out countless sapient species for fun. She can act like a Reaper from Mass Effect, thus assimilate and destroy the minds and bodies of an entire sapient species, by forcing them to become ponies

Would not be something that she would ever do casually. If she's wiping out a species, she either has no other choice, or she's not doing it.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know why people would think she's all that powerful anyway. We've seen her get her ass kicked multiple times in this show.

Raising and lowering the sun is impressive, but the show hasn't given us any reason to think that Equestria's sun is anything like ours, and likely nowhere near as massive.

She was beaten exactly twice, both times by beings of equivalent power to her. Luna, and when Celestia was holding back because she didn't want to hurt her; and Chrysalis when the Queen was suped up by the power of love. (Which, similar to the Elements of Harmony, is a raw magical force of nature in Equestria.)

The unicorns raised and lowered the sun before, but that took many of them working in concert. Celestia can move both the sun and moon by herself. For comparison, Hercules can lift entire large trees out of the ground. Not impossible for many ordinary people working together to do, but the fact that he can do it alone clearly demonstrates his divine lineage. (Not to mention swinging it around like a practical weapon.)

(edited)

Celestia doing anything evil and not suffering the consequence is simply, out of character, and therefore Celestia herself isn't to blame but the person portraying her that way.

I guess that makes sense. I guess, I sometimes am a little harsh on Celestia due how some of the fandom has portrayed her and lose sight of what she's really like in the show itself.

I could be more protective (give constructive criticism or what have you) to the way to those that make her OOC.

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 1

My thought most of all is responsibility, as we grow we learn to be responsible workers and to do our jobs as we are trained, to show up on time for work and not to steal, this does not mean we cannot become irresponsible, and stop doing our jobs as we are trained, not showing up to work on time or stealing, but when we do that we lose credability, and witbout credibility we lose respect.

Without responsibilty we are nothing, thus it would be for Princess Celestia.

Honesty, integrity, loyalty, kindness, generosity, charity, forgiveness, acceptance, and tolerance are all marks of a good leader.

It is written: Heavy lies the crown upon the head.

• Brohoof 1

Probably not, Celestia is long lived so any mistakes, no matter how small she makes, she will live to see the results of. I can imagine moments where Celestia as taken more dangerous attitudes to things in the past but seeing them not really work will have made her the ruler she is now.

• Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...

considdering how the royal guard i probably more tradition and means to keep creeps away from the sisters ithinkt that an ALICORN is mighty enough to do whatever they please but celestia is a character build to be a morally intact  mother-role so she wouldn't just go awry with her powers.

Well so far she hasn't done anything that the mane six have done that would cause a lot of trouble yet so yeah can't say for sure on how the ponies would react.

Well since King Sombra was attacked for what he did no doubt Celestia would be treated the same if she abused her authority.

I feel like she does just get a free card.

She can do a lot of things and be forgiven or get out of it, being a goddess and a princess.

Though she probably couldn't get too out of line with Luna and the EOH.