Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are the writers foreshadowing characters?

TheMisterManGuy

I noticed that several characters on the show. Pinkie, Discord, Fluttershy, Celestia, Luna, have traits and backstory elements that are just brought up and completely glanced over as if they didn't happen. Pinkie's pinkie sense, Fluttershy's mood swings, Discord's origins, and Celestia and Luna's knowledge of the show's universe. I'm wondering, are the writers be setting up bigger plans for these characters in future episodes by only giving us vague traits and hints? This is similar to what Adventure Time and Gravity Falls do (I.E. establish plot points and character traits to be explored in future episodes). So do you think there's something bigger with these characters that the writers are only hinting at?

Edited by TheMisterManGuy
  • Brohoof 1

To a degree, yes. I think the writers lay seeds for possible future stories that haven't been written yet, but they want to go back to. Since each script is approved by Hasbro, follow through may not happen, but the seeds are likely intentional.

I say this because of (as yet) unutilized backstory with Applejacks parents. The staff knows they passed away, hinted in the show, but haven't found the best way to capitalize on it.

• Brohoof 1

To a degree, yes. I think the writers lay seeds for possible future stories that haven't been written yet, but they want to go back to. Since each script is approved by Hasbro, follow through may not happen, but the seeds are likely intentional.

I say this because of (as yet) unutilized backstory with Applejacks parents. The staff knows they passed away, hinted in the show, but haven't found the best way to capitalize on it.

Yeah, I forgot about AJ's parents. I hope to see more of them in future seasons.

I noticed that several characters on the show. Pinkie, Discord, Fluttershy, Celestia, Luna, have traits and backstory elements that are just brought up and completely glanced over as if they didn't happen. Pinkie's pinkie sense, Fluttershy's mood swings, Discord's origins, and Celestia and Luna's knowledge of the show's universe. I'm wondering, are the writers foreshadowing bigger plans for these characters by only giving us vague traits and hints? This is similar to what Adventure Time and Gravity Falls do (I.E. establish plot points and character traits to be explored in future episodes). So do you think there's something bigger with these characters that the writers are only hinting at?

That;s not exactly foreshadowing.  Foreshadowing is like when Luna brings up the book at the end of The Crystal Empire, which of course was paid off in the finale.  FOreshadowing is when something else is clearly implied or set up to be further explored down the line.  It's not something that can be used by itself without future payoff.  Pinkie Sense, for instance, isn't something that needs to be explored in the future, because it is what it is- a weird and quirky ability from a weird and quirky character.  Any kind of further explanation would violate the spirit of what makes it so entertaining.  It's strange and nonsensical, and should be left that way.  

Leaving things vague is not foreshadowing.  Rather I think they want to try not to be too boxed in and limited by canon.  

• Brohoof 2

Leaving things vague is not foreshadowing

It can be. It is hard to honestly evaluate whether something is appropriate foreshadowing absent the payoff. To need that to evaluate it. Example, RD says she hates being alone in MMDW. If we get a back story to that driven by that statement - that is foreshadowing. You don't have to be Lucas Obvious - but Steinbeck vague is OK. In the end, it is a literary device that can be deployed several ways. The OP asks whether or not there were hints given to the viewer about the characters that create an expectation of an event yet to be seen. And yes, it can be applied to unseen past events, especially if a narrative trigger that leads to said event is used. 

If I say, "it was a cloudy day", and afterward it rains -  that is foreshadowing. 

• Brohoof 1

It can be. It is hard to honestly evaluate whether something is appropriate foreshadowing absent the payoff. To need that to evaluate it. Example, RD says she hates being alone in MMDW. If we get a back story to that driven by that statement - that is foreshadowing. You don't have to be Lucas Obvious - but Steinbeck vague is OK. In the end, it is a literary device that can be deployed several ways. The OP asks whether or not there were hints given to the viewer about the characters that create an expectation of an event yet to be seen. And yes, it can be applied to unseen past events, especially if a narrative trigger that leads to said event is used. 

If I say, "it was a cloudy day", and afterward it rains -  that is foreshadowing. 

But the key to foreshadowing is that it creates an expectation of a payoff.  But with some of the things the OP mentioned, there is nothing to create that expectation.  They are what they are.  

Foreshadowing is something that intentionally creates an expectation of something to be paid off.  Your example, if it were left off at just being cloudy, would not be foreshadowing.  Just setting things up is not foreshadowing.  However, if they were to showan approaching storm in a nearby areas, that would be foreshadowing.  

To be honest, I feel like a lot of the things you listed in that first post are just random quirks to the character. Not every single bit of someone's personality has an explanation beyond 'they were born that way' or 'they grew up to be that way'.

(edited)

But the key to foreshadowing is that it creates an expectation of a payoff.  But with some of the things the OP mentioned, there is nothing to create that expectation.  They are what they are.  

Foreshadowing is something that intentionally creates an expectation of something to be paid off.  Your example, if it were left off at just being cloudy, would not be foreshadowing.  Just setting things up is not foreshadowing.  However, if they were to showan approaching storm in a nearby areas, that would be foreshadowing.  

OK, foreshadowing may not be the best word. I guess I'm trying to ask, could the writers be hinting at future plot points and backstory for these characters?

To be honest, I feel like a lot of the things you listed in that first post are just random quirks to the character. Not every single bit of someone's personality has an explanation beyond 'they were born that way' or 'they grew up to be that way'.

But since these are things that have popped up in multiple episodes, I feel as if the writers are laying down seeds for potential character arcs.

Edited by TheMisterManGuy

OK, foreshadowing may not be the best word. I guess I'm trying to ask, could the writers be hinting at future plot points and backstory for these characters?

Ok ok, sorry if I was rather insistent there.

Anyway, if they're never even going to look back and address this golden egg that's been under the table for three years

post-31545-0-82097100-1421024844_thumb.png

then I don't really trust them with anything else.

But since these are things that have popped up in multiple episodes, I feel as if the writers are laying down seeds for potential plot elements.

Eh, I don't think so.  Sometimes things just are the way they are.  With Fluttershy's mod swings, sometimes it's just fun to see such a normally docile character become such an angry jerk.  Pinkie's Pinkie Sense is just a weird, random ability from a weird, random character.  The appeal of it is in how nonsensical it is.  Sometimes things pop up multiple times just because they're a gold mine of entertainment to go back to.  

I noticed that several characters on the show. Pinkie, Discord, Fluttershy, Celestia, Luna, have traits and backstory elements that are just brought up and completely glanced over as if they didn't happen. Pinkie's pinkie sense, Fluttershy's mood swings, Discord's origins, and Celestia and Luna's knowledge of the show's universe. I'm wondering, are the writers be setting up bigger plans for these characters in future episodes by only giving us vague traits and hints? This is similar to what Adventure Time and Gravity Falls do (I.E. establish plot points and character traits to be explored in future episodes). So do you think there's something bigger with these characters that the writers are only hinting at?

I'd like to think that you're right about that it'd be a shame if these traits were just brushed aside.

Anecdotally the MLP writing process appears to be somewhat haphazard at the level of the individual writers. It's Meghan's job to keep things together and control the arcs, but last season the writers inserted stuff that they never intended to be shown again. It's only looking back that we can see where they followed up and connected the dots.

There are three analogies to this, imho.  You're either "Leaving the door open" to revisit it, "laying the foundation" if you want a bigger setup, or "planting seeds" for something to blossom down the road.

I've learned through my own writing experiences that it's best to leave little bits and pieces of elements within a story.  This allows you to revisit it for a story, and it doesn't have to be about foreshadowing of something for the future. 

Foreshadowing is a way of indicating or hinting at what will come later. Foreshadowing can be subtle, like storm clouds on the horizon suggesting that danger is coming, or more direct, such as Romeo and Juliet talking about wanting to die rather than live without each other. Sometimes authors use false clues to mislead a reader. These are called "red herrings," and they often appear in mystery writing. Foreshadowing can also be considered a literary device, but we have treated it as a narrative element because of its association with storytelling

I might be wrong here, but here's an example of what foreshadowing means to me.  I apologize for the bit of narcissism, using one of my stories and all. 

I've got a story that I have been working on for quite some time where the protagonist is journeying to Canterlot.  He's kind of led a sheltered life in his little village, and he finds the world he thought was kind/understanding to be rather cruel.  Prime example comes after the encounter with his prime nemesis.  The protagonist starts to have nightmares.  He mentions that he never had dreams before, except for one dream.  This is when the reader finds out about his first and only dream before the nightmare came as the dream came the very night he earned his Cutie Mark.  The dream is described with a few details, and it's left at that.  This becomes rather significant where the reader, I would hope, goes "So that's what it meant" when a chapter comes down the road.

Something that's simply there to be referenced/used for later story material, or to help out a story, would be a comment or occurence where the protagonist mentions his aunt who's a pegasus while he's a unicorn.  She's not really his aunt, but a good family friend to the point he calls her his aunt.  I use her in a later chapter for a bit of a friendly meeting. 

I don't believe the writers are foreshadowing content from Discord, The sisters, Pinkie Pie, and the like.  Pinkie Pie's "Pinkie Sense" might make a good episode/story down the road, and that's about it.  It might be rather funny to see Apple Bloom develop her own sort of "Pinkie Sense" and Pinkie Pie trains her on how to use it. 

• Brohoof 1

Really? I would like to see it.

Alright! Let's see here... *cracks knuckles*

Pinkie likes cupcakes covered in hot sauce.

Rarity was kind enough to volunteer herself to be the target of a difficult spell before anyone else.

Fluttershy has freaky knowledge o' sewin'.

Rainbow Dash once spent a whole afternoon helping Apple Bloom try to get her cutie mark.

Tiny filly AJ went all the way to Manehattan on her own because she wanted to live the sophisticated life.

Spike went on and on about wanting to show his friends the wonders of Canterlot.

Celestia has a pet phoenix.

Remember that Rainbow dropped out of flight school?

In addition to the hair, Pinkie became literally darker when she was depressed.

Spike enjoys baked bads.

Twilight actually blushes at her own expression of how cute parasprites are.

Spike apparently told Scootaloo how great ziplining is.

Spike goes to Canterlot without Twilight for royal business.

Spike has serious connections in Canterlot, able to convince a highly acclaimed fashion mogul to watch not one but two fashion shows after the first one is terrible.

Twilight used to be super overconfident, but that one I can chalk up to actual development.

Rainbow Dash likes doing tricks, remember? Spent just about all of season 1 practicing stunts, not just speed.

Fluttershy was totally infatuated with Spike.

Sweetie uses her tail to dust things.

Ponies can get tipsy from salt.

There's probably a lot more I'm missing here. C'mon everyone, join in!

Edited by Dulset Tarn