Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bad and Good Mlp Ocs

IINyanosaurusII

I was having some weird probs

So I decided to re-write the description.

And choose my own oc for this

post-31110-0-66991800-1424463523_thumb.jpg

Edit:

Now that I can sit down and complete this damn description

Any who

I took my oc and I shall tell the Good and bad things about her.

Good:

She isn't too clashy.

Not an alicorn

Not overpowered

Bad:

She has no reason as to why she has those things on her horn and tail

She looks blind for no reason.

(Not important but the shading makes me wanna puke ;v;)

(Btw I probably won't respond to most posts. I apologize)

Edited by IINyanosaurusII

While I won't post any directly (I'd feel bad if I did), rainbow colors on a pony (excluding Rainbow Dash of course) comes off as ugly. Red/Black emo evil alicorn OCs are bad too. I've yet to find a good alicorn OC.

Good OCs have normal colors that aren't over-saturated and doesn't blind people, a good backstory and personality doesn't hurt either.

• Brohoof 1

I can't post an image on an OC, but I can give you some guidelines.

Basically an OC has to follow these rules:

We have to like them because their great characters, not because they have a giant sob story. Don't make another Snowdrop!

Don't make them too overpowered unless precautions are made. Usually, if a character is an alicorn, they need to have some massive flaw that makes them believable, (aka Nyx from Pen Stoke's: Past Sins).

Don't make them a relative of the mane 6. That's been done to death already and it's really cliche.

Give them a solid, believable, design that would appear in the show. A natural color that isn't too saturated, along with a cutie mark that isn't the same color, and one that doesn't use red and black.

Make them INTERESTING. Don't just make them work in a shop, you need to give them personality similar to that of the mane 6. 

Edited by The Fiery Brony
  • Brohoof 1

I think threads like this should be locked. Having your own opinion is fine, but who has the right to tell anyone that their style of OC is bad? No one, thats who. Just because an OC is OP or has a tragic backstory, doesn't make them a bad OC. My character has both of those things, but I think he's awesome. Why? Because his past is sad, but he's currently a hero who's happily married, with 3 kids, and his powers, while very OP from a conventional stance, have glaring weaknesses.

So, I say that OP characters, with tragic backstories, and a few cliches, aren't so bad! And no one has a right to tell anyone how their OC is a bad one.

We all have that right. I reserve the right to trash talk anyone's OC, but it's all light hearted fun to me. If people seriously mock others for making up a "bad character" in a malicious way, they need to find a more constructive use of their time.

• Brohoof 3

I know, everyones entitled to their own opinion. But I mean that no one can fairly just tell another person that their OC is bad, while their own OC is good. The world is full of opinions, and everyone will always dissagree to something or another thing. I just think that OCs shouldn't be auto judged to be bad, simply for a dumb cookie-cutter set of rules. Some people call my mane OC terrible, bad, stupid, OP and a Gary Stue. But others call him awesome, unique, fun, interesting, and badass. Like I said, its just everyone's opinion vs more opinions.

It's great to have supporting and dissenting opinions on everything. If everyone was in agreement on everything, there would be no point in conversation at all. I understand frustration with it and the need to vent, but I enjoy light hearted fun-poking about it.

As for OC girth-measuring contests, I don't care for those. I don't honestly care if your OC beats my recolored Rainbow Dash OC, but I will enjoy clowning your punk ass.

its alright to have a over the top back story, and its alright (i guess?) to have a giant sob story.
as long as the character feels like an actual person (none of that marysue/garysue junk) then the character is fine :T

All OCs are amazing in my option, however when it comes to their appearance it gets overboard, and I can see why. Most people want their OC to be amazing, and for it to stand out. However most people want their pony to be their pony wanna be selves if they ever got to go into the world of Equestria. Like, pegasi OCs. Most people want to be pegasi because of course, they can fly, and that may be the reason there is hardly many Earth Pony OCs. And Alicorns do show as a valuable example of poor bio information. Most people want to be alicorns due to their a rare type of pony, they have more power, and they have the ability to fly and use magic.

See, thats just the thing, what gives someone the right to deem themselves "OC experts"? There is no official "rules" fir creating an OC, just guidlines. It's ultimatly just up to the creator's creativity and imagination. Period.

• Brohoof 1

Credentials? How the hell does one get credentials for creating a fictional character? Thats right, you don't. Experience does help, but it doesnt automatically make one an authority figure. I've been RPing for years, yet do you see me making OC rules? No.

I never said I was 'judging' it's my honest option. I never meant to judge, but it seems that most of the fandom cares more about their OC's physical form and less about their characters and development.

• Brohoof 1

You've been RPing for years, you say?

Here's my business card:

img-3515954-1-Capture.png

Join us and become an Expert OC Judge today, and get to call people's OCs garbage and get away with it because you're the expert.

Edited by Free C RIP

A bad OC, in my opinion, is an OC that is overpowered and has no flaws whatsoever.

They also seem to have the most unoriginal color schemes: Rainbow or black and red.

• Brohoof 2

People like to rely on the same tired and beaten cliches when creating characters. Giving a character colors that purposely clash, a mane of stars or rainbows or flames and making them all powerful royalty is not creativity. It's uninspired. It's because some want to see themselves as being part of Equestria and they see the OC as a way of expressing how special they are. Hence, making them powerful and visible in an excessive way.

• Brohoof 1

It's obvious that nobody's opinion really matters if you like your OC yourself, especially since each one of us has a different point of view from which we judge the OCs. Because that's what we do, we judge them in our minds and then express our opinions.

However, I like comparing creating an OC to writing a book. You can ignore all kinds of critique and write something the way you feel it, but then most probably you won't get very far with it nor will you receive much praise/credit. However, if you actually listen to what others say and try to piece it all together, you may create something that not only you yourself will like (because it'll still be YOU creating it) but also others will appreciate.

Sure, you can let your imagination go on a wild rampage and create something you'll love. But I guess it's the show itself that sets certain standards of creating characters. And if the OC isn't a crossover char but an attempt to make it look like a character from the show, it's most natural that people will most probably clash the OCs design against what we've seen in the show itself. And that's where the critique comes from.

Because if you ask people to rate your OC just to get angry or disappointed if you receive negative critique... well, I guess I don't have to explain how it looks.

EDIT: Anyway, I doubt that picking OCs and pointing out their flaws at random WITHOUT their owners' agreement is really a good thing to do.

Rather than that, here:

[LINK]

I chose my own OC to point out a few things about it, from my own perspective.

Good:

- it seems plausible to actually see her in the show as a character

- the choices behind CM story + physique actually serve something rather than being there just for the sake of application

- the color scheme doesn't clash that much

Bad:

- pink coat. It's a terrible choice, obviously. Especially that it makes her very similar to one of already existing characters.

- Caracara as a pet. I bluntly admit it's been chosen only to give that "OOMPH" to the character.

- the Celestia's school mention. She doesn't really have any skills or knowledge to attend or be accepted in it, yet it's mentioned. Needlessly.

• Brohoof 1

A bad OC, in my opinion, is an OC that is overpowered and has no flaws whatsoever.

They also seem to have the most unoriginal color schemes: Rainbow or black and red.

Why not both?

post-31242-0-91009200-1424470490_thumb.jpg

This one is mine. I call him Steve.

I should note that this was made as a joke. Mouse over the picture and it says "Godawful OC.jpg"

• Brohoof 3