Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Rainbow Dash and Applejack feminine?

Azureth

Yes, all of the Mane Six were designed to be feminine in different ways. That's kind of the point. Girls can be competitive and sports orientated, girls can be hard workers (ala Rosie the Riveter). Where tradition tries to constrain females to be a certain way, FiM has always been about allowing characters to be feminine on their own terms.

• Brohoof 1

they are both kinda tomboyish but I wouldn't call them masculine, they both show that girls can ne more then the stereotypical thing we always see like rarity. To me they are awesome because they feel so different to most of the girls I see on tv and in movies.

They are most definitely "feminine." Applejack and Rainbow Dash both value strength, which is just as much a feminine trait as it is a masculine one. Everyone should and can show strength, including women, which was the message when Rainbow Dash tried to coach Fluttershy (I forget what episode that was).

Apart from that, Applejack has a nurturing family mentality while Rainbow Dash is like a big sister to Scootaloo, and those are both "feminine" things.

Edited by SpiritoftheRadio

Yes, though Rainbow Dash is a bit more reluctant to show her feminine side due to concerns about maintaining a tough and "cool" rep though there are moments where it still comes out. With Applejack she seems to like what she likes and dosen't care what anypony else thinks which means a relatively even combination of masculine and feminine interests.

Well...let's say they are not stereotypical feminine.

This is the best summation of my feelings. Gender roles are in flux so it would be unfair to chategorize them unfeminine. My wife can kick my ass if she wanted, yet she can rock a dress better than most! Me? A little of column A and B. AJ and Dashie are feminine in my personal opinion.

But I may be confused on the question. ;)

Out of the Mane 6, Rainbow Dash and Applejack are the most masculine, but they have plenty of girl traits.  I think Applejack has masculine traits because of working at Sweet Apple Acres.  She's more of a country girl than a Tomboy.

AJ probably doesn't dress up a lot because her pretty outfits would get dirty when she starts working on the farm.

Rainbow Dash is a tomboy through and through.  She actually reminds me of myself when I was little.

I think they're feminine, alright. One of Lauren's intentions with the show was making it clear that there's a lot of ways to be a girl and AJ and Dash are prime examples of this. Much as I hate SJWs, they are right about the fact that a lot of gender stereotypes are rather outdated. Liking sports does not make you non-feminine, and liking MLP does not make you non-masculine.

• Brohoof 1

It depends on how you define "feminine". A quick search on Google defines feminine as, "having qualities or appearance traditionally associated with women, especially delicacy and prettiness." So in this instance, I would say that RD and AJ are both feminine. Let's just say that they don't fit the feminine stereotype very well. 

Dashie is brash and loves to compete, but also has a softer side with her love of reading, musicals, and adorkable geek out moments with her idols (Daring Do, and Wind Rider come to mind :wub:).  

AJ is levelheaded, sassy, and not afraid to speak her mind. She too also has a softer side as demonstrated in Simple Ways when she dressed up and did her hair in an attempt to bring her friend Rarity back to reality  :smug:

This is what makes the show so great. On the surface, one can say that these characters are one dimensional and are lacking in any feminine qualities. But if you really dig deeper, you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you'll find  :muffins:

Just like people IRL, AJacks and Dashie have both feminine and masculine qualities. For example, I draw artwork (sometimes), sing songs, and wash dishes a lot. Just because I'm into those things doesn't make me "feminine", it just means that I prefer doing those things. (Except for washing dishes, that kinda sucks...) Similarly, a girl I know is into both baseball and basketball, but that doesn't automatically make her "masculine", those are just the things she's into.

I think labeling an activity or job "masculine" or "feminine" is arbitrary. A male fashion designer or a female construction worker might seem weird, but it's completely normal for guys to be into "girly" stuff and girls to be into "guy" stuff. Guys and girls can share activities if they want to.

Now if you take it too far and get into gender fluidity or homo/pansexuality... that's where I get uncomfortable.

• Brohoof 1

Well it's all relative. They would be considered less feminine than Rarity and Fluttershy but also less masculine than Big Macintosh or Shining Armor. They've displayed feminine and masculine behaviour and attitudes. They're diverse characters.

I would say that Applejack is the introverted masculine character, Rainbow Dash is the extroverted masculine character, Twilight is introverted gender-neutral, Pinkie Pie is extroverted gender-neutral, Rarity is the extroverted feminine character, and Fluttershy is the introverted feminine character.

That's how I'd sum them up. 

If we're going by traditional definitions of masculinity/femininity, then no, they aren't really feminine.

I would say that AJ is a little more feminine than Rainbow Dash, though, because she has that "motherly" thing going on.

Edited by Detritus

@@Azureth

Just letting you know this was moved to Show Discussion as it's a character discussion.

Thanks. :)

• Brohoof 2

I think so. They're just a bit tougher kind of feminine. In the end, they still can act feminine, they simply prefer not to most of the time.  

Applejack is a rough and tough country gal. She needs to be tough because she's a farmgal. I did farm work as a child whenever I went to my cousin's over the Summer. It's not for the faint of heart.

Rainbow Dash is an athlete. Professional sports is an area (in our world) typically dominated by men. She needs to show that she can tough it out, that she's not a quitter and that she can take anything any other Wonderbolt can. 

Edited by Dinos4Ever

I agree, they might not exhibit normal femininity and that's the best part. Single dimension characters are what made the previous generations suffer, but to have such different character traits makes it much more engaging to watch.