Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony Sunset Shimmer?

AltoPony

I don't think she'll go back, mainly because the creators are quite intent on keeping EQG and the series itself separated, so that one can view the series without needing to see the movies.

She might return to Equestria at the end of the EQG movie series, but I doubt she'll ever appear on the show, except possibly in the final episode.

Flash Sentry in "Three's a crows" would prove your statement wrong

I'd like to see what would happen if Sunset Shimmer came back to Equestria, after all the Human World's inhabitants aren't the only ones she should ask forgiveness from. But like many others who have posted, I don't think it'll happen in the series proper. Maybe Sunset Shimmer will appear in Equestra in a future comic or something.

Flash Sentry in "Three's a crows" would prove your statement wrong

Flash made a cameo that doesn't require anyone to know EQG. Twilight didn't even react to his presence at all. Hell, I didn't even know it was Flash until I looked for it. The first time I saw it I just thought it was a random guard. Sunset has a more distinctive design that is much harder to put into a cameo, and I doubt Twilight would ignore her like she did with Flash.

Flash made a cameo that doesn't require anyone to know EQG. Twilight didn't even react to his presence at all. Hell, I didn't even know it was Flash until I looked for it. The first time I saw it I just thought it was a random guard. Sunset has a more distinctive design that is much harder to put into a cameo, and I doubt Twilight would ignore her like she did with Flash.

I don't see how taking into account whether or not anyone knows EQG would matter, though, given the argument in your previous post. And Twilight wouldn't have to acknowledge him, provided that earlier statement.

mainly because the creators are quite intent on keeping EQG and the series itself separated

If that were true, then Flash wouldn't have shown up at all, in that episode. It could've been just another copypaste guard and it wouldn't have mattered, seeing as how the guards aren't acknowledged all the same. But the fact is, he was there. Acknowledged or not- he- Flash Sentry, a pony who was created for Equestria Girls, showed up in the MLP:FIM series. Once again, that's not keeping both franchises separate, if you drag a character over from one to the other (with it also being implied that he's still in the Crystal Empire, in the series, after that). Call it whatever you like, but the facts are there.

If that were true, then Flash wouldn't have shown up at all, in that episode. It could've been just another copypaste guard and it wouldn't have mattered, seeing as how the guards aren't acknowledged all the same. But the fact is, he was there. Acknowledged or not- he- Flash Sentry, a pony who was created for Equestria Girls, showed up in the MLP:FIM series. Once again, that's not keeping both franchises separate, if you drag a character over from one to the other (with it also being implied that he's still in the Crystal Empire, in the series, after that). Call it whatever you like, but the facts are there.

Mccarthy has stated that it was an idea from the animators to put him in there, without the writers knowing about it. So it's not like they tried to integrate Flash into anything in the show, or give him some kind of purpose to be there. It was just a simple gag.

Do you think we will ever end up seeing Sunset Shimmer go back to Equestria?
The only likely scenario in which this would occur would be as some sort of development in EG3, perhaps in relation to either/both of the Twilights. But in my scenario it would only be brief, perhaps even allowing reconciliation with Princess Celestia before she returned after deciding her new home was in the human world.

From what I understand, FIM is supposed to be able to stand on its own and be completely understandable if one hasn't seen EG. Having SS in the show would disrupt this, as there'd be no easy way to explain her presence without sharing EG backstory ... But perhaps I am wrong.
You're not wrong and I'm pretty sure the creators of the show have even stated this a few times(no links unfortunately). 

• 1 month later...

Even better, what if the mane six switched places with the girls from the EG world? 

Imagine, Human AJ and Human Pinkie Pie in equestria... And Human Rarity freaking out over Pony Fashion...

I think thats a good idea actually. But the only thing is --> In EG the twilight sparkle wasn't there which means it would take an awful lot of time to find her and explain that there is an alternate pony universe... Good idea though :)

• 2 months later...

I actually think there's a very strong possibility that Sunset Shimmer will return to Equestria and that we'll see her as a pony soon enough. It was pretty heavily hinted at during the San Diego Comic Con. She's proven herself more than popular, is basically a seventh main character in the Equestria Girls films, and she has enough of her own character and backstory to make for some exciting future plotlines in Equestria. For instance, I would really love to see her return to Celestia and sort things out. It's common for popular TV shows featuring ensemble casts to introduce a new main character at some point, so it isn't completely out of the question in that sense either.

As for keeping the two brands separate, I honestly don't see the need for that, and especially if the only real crossover is a pony who was born in Equestria ends up returning. All that would need to be explained is that she was living in another world and is now back and ready to give life in Equestria a second try. I doubt any viewers will be "lost" seeing Sunny return given EG's popularity and canon status. The show has tons of continuity and development already. A minor crossover that can be explained in less than a minute wouldn't be that hard to follow, nor would it be relying too heavily on a confirmed-canon spin-off series.

I actually think there's a very strong possibility that Sunset Shimmer will return to Equestria and that we'll see her as a pony soon enough. It was pretty heavily hinted at during the San Diego Comic Con. She's proven herself more than popular, is basically a seventh main character in the Equestria Girls films, and she has enough of her own character and backstory to make for some exciting future plotlines in Equestria. For instance, I would really love to see her return to Celestia and sort things out. It's common for popular TV shows featuring ensemble casts to introduce a new main character at some point, so it isn't completely out of the question in that sense either.

As for keeping the two brands separate, I honestly don't see the need for that, and especially if the only real crossover is a pony who was born in Equestria ends up returning. All that would need to be explained is that she was living in another world and is now back and ready to give life in Equestria a second try. I doubt any viewers will be "lost" seeing Sunny return given EG's popularity and canon status. The show has tons of continuity and development already. A minor crossover that can be explained in less than a minute wouldn't be that hard to follow, nor would it be relying too heavily on a confirmed-canon spin-off series.

Wait where was it hinted at during the San Diego Comic Con?

I expect Sunset Shimmer to return to Equestria someday. The 2017 movie might be a good opportunity to have her come back through the mirror and help Twilight battle a super nemesis.  

I don't see any problem with her past at this point; she's atoned for it, and Celestia is probably ready to see her again. (Speaking of Sunset's past, I'd like to think she took classes with either Starlight Glimmer or Trixie.)