Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mage Meadowbrook and Eastern unicorns

ManaMinori

(edited)

So in the series 5 premiere, Starlight mentions a unicorn named Mage Meadowbrook. Even more interesting, Twilight seems to have heard of them, and in a line of dialogue, mentions that they were an Eastern unicorn, but she hasn't studied up much on that type of magic. I find this VERY interesting, for many reasons. One of which, because it deepens the lore of MLP, and we get to see - or at least hear a brief bit about another mage outside of Starswirl the Bearded. It makes me wonder of this Mage Meadowbrook guy (or gal) ever crossed paths, or worked under (or maybe even mentored!) Starswirl, at some point. Further still, when Starlight brought up Meadowbrook's ancient artifacts, I couldn't help but wonder if there may be some relation to this guy that ties into Daring Do's adventures, also; since in the book "Daring Do and the forbidden City of the clouds", there's a character- another powerful ancient mage- still alive in modern Equestria, named Comet Tail the Starry-eyed, who formed the Council of the ancients, and go after ancient artifacts. I'm thinking that maybe the artifacts this Meadowbrook pony had and were referenced to in the S5 episodes may have been some of them.....?

What do you guys think? How do you think Starswirl, Mage Meadowbrook, and Comet Tail the Starry-eyed all come into play? Super powerful rivals? Mentor, and apprentices? Siblings?

And who else is excited to dive deeper into knowing how Eastern unicorn (and likely Earth and Pegasi) magic differs from ....I guess Western/ Equestria's pony magic?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 5

Yeah it's very interesting, I hope we'll learn more about these characters.

However, we're not even sure they lived at the same time, or if they're still alive or not. :wacko:

• Brohoof 3

@@Nightmare Muffin

Added a spoiler prefix to your topic. While it is fine to warn members of spoilers in the OP, remember to use the prefix to warn them in advance. :)

• Brohoof 1

Well, Comet Tail the Starry-Eyed is founder of the Magical Counsel of the Ancients which currently has three other members, Precipita the Caring, Rosewater the Cheerful and Mooncurve the Cunning. It is said that the Magical Counsel of the Ancients also represents a path of maintaining harmony and that Daring has to touch the twenty-two enchanted artifacts of the ancient to become their fifth member, the Constant. However, legends say that Mooncurve once had drunk of the Eternal Flower a long time ago, it also was implied that Precipita has lived for a very long time too, and that Starry-Eyed is a legendary ancient too.

I wouldn't exclude the thought that Starswirl perhaps himself once was member of the Magical Cousel of the Ancients (perhaps the prior Constant) before his death, what again could mean that there were more evil forces that had to be fought back than we know yet. This of course is where Mage Meadowbrook with his/her eight artifacts comes into play - since we already know twelve of the enchanted artifacts of the ancients and Mage Meadowbrook was never mentioned so far, it is quite possible that these eight other artifacts are not part of the twenty-two enchanted artifacts of the ancients and represent some kind of (evil?) counterpart.

This of course is just some theory - to be realistic, I don't think there will be such a complicated backstory pulled up in the show and that Twilight's line was of no greater inportance to anything further.

Yeah it's very interesting, I hope we'll learn more about these characters.

However, we're not even sure they lived at the same time, or if they're still alive or not. :wacko:

but would it matter whether they lived at the same time, if time-travel comes into play (which we know Starswirl did. A LOT)

I can see some of them playing an important part in the plot soon enough. If not this season, it will the the next  :comeatus:

I hope you're right. I can only hope the staff won't leave us hanging with that

Either that or European.

only time will tell. But I'm hoping it's oriental.

(edited)

East Equestria (implied): An analog for the Eastern Bloc and Soviet Union (which the episode obviously took a stab at).

Mage Meadowbrook: An ancient powerful unicorn pulled out of the writer's rears to keep Starswirl's reputation clean (after all he wouldn't create that kind of artefacts).

Edited by WriteCodes46
  • Brohoof 2

I hope you're right. I can only hope the staff won't leave us hanging with that

only time will tell. But I'm hoping it's oriental.

It sounds more European than Oriental to me, I mean, I never seen the name "Meadowbrook" used in an Eastern setting. Not to mention there are some European influenced stuff among ponies, like Caballeron, who has Spaniard accent. He's probably from around there

Maybe the ponies living in the eastern parts of Equestria are more like the eastern Europeans or like the Russians. Maybe this Mage pony was a famous unicorn in eastern Equestria like Starswirl.

(edited)

(SEASON 5 SPOILERS) You've been warned.

So in the series 5 premiere, Starlight mentions a unicorn named Mage Meadowbrook. Even more interesting, Twilight seems to have heard of them, and in a line of dialogue, mentions that they were an Eastern unicorn, but she hasn't studied up much on that type of magic. I find this VERY interesting, for many reasons. One of which, because it deepens the lore of MLP, and we get to see - or at least hear a brief bit about another mage outside of Starswirl the Bearded. It makes me wonder of this Mage Meadowbrook guy (or gal) ever crossed paths, or worked under (or maybe even mentored!) Starswirl, at some point. Further still, when Starlight brought up Meadowbrook's ancient artifacts, I couldn't help but wonder if there may be some relation to this guy that ties into Daring Do's adventures, also; since in the book "Daring Do and the forbidden City of the clouds", there's a character- another powerful ancient mage- still alive in modern Equestria, named Comet Tail the Starry-eyed, who formed the Council of the ancients, and go after ancient artifacts. I'm thinking that maybe the artifacts this Meadowbrook pony had and were referenced to in the S5 episodes may have been some of them.....?

What do you guys think? How do you think Starswirl, Mage Meadowbrook, and Comet Tail the Starry-eyed all come into play? Super powerful rivals? Mentor, and apprentices? Siblings?

And who else is excited to dive deeper into knowing how Eastern unicorn (and likely Earth and Pegasi) magic differs from ....I guess Western/ Equestria's pony magic?

Meadowbrook is the name of a pony from G3, with a magic related cutie mark. archeopony at derpibooru drew a piece of fan art of her in a G4 style.867669__safe_unicorn_amulet_artist-colon

Edited by Disc0rded
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe it is Eastern Europe.  Where else did Starlight get the idea for a magic communism staff?  Came right out of Stalingrad.  Just a hunch.  I could be way off.

I'm think more East (please let us get some Kirins/Qilin) which would bring

some expanding to the MLP world as we know (i wonder about eastern dragons now...).

• Brohoof 1

Well, when Twiligt refers to the east, it's hard to tell exactly what she means by east. If we were to compare it to modern day allusions, would it be compared to what we, as the 'west,' refer to as Eastern Europe, the Middle-East (possibly Saddle Arabia), or the Oriental East (China, Japan, and the like)?

So many possibilities...

Yes, getting into non-anglo/european mythology for the setting would definitely help breath some interest into it.

Thing is does MLP have that?  Given in example of Pipsqueak being from Trottingham

and it seems to have a heavy U,K theme and such makes me thing that maybe Equestria is

something of a Pangea  which was a super-continent could explain why you have many

different types of ponies and etc given in using Zecora living in the same massive land

space but each is seen maybe as its own" nation" perhaps?

Yet we now in "The Cutie Map"  see all of Equestria and there is nothing which notes

of Zebras or Saddle Arabia at all which leads more of a break down that we have other

nations/contents and cultures in the MLP world and could also to a "Eastern nation"  

of ponies could exist! 

• Brohoof 2

That would make sense. One giant landmass without barriers for migration should mean there would only be one type of pony. Speciation requires isolation. The same applies to cultures. Either large distances or impassible terrain - mountains, oceans, deserts, etc.

But the world of Equestria already seems mega-diverse. There could be literally anything out there.

• Brohoof 1

But the world of Equestria already seems mega-diverse. There could be literally anything out there.

Which is true! Yet I find it strange that its pony/pony like creatures seem to be

the only ones to have any type of "culture" or civilization minus in also using

diamond dogs who seem to have a loose use of both....(which has never been

used again sadly...)  Or in fact we also have seen Griffons who can talk

and etc which seen in Glida but she went to the same flight school as Dash

did so does that mean other creatures answer to the ponies? Do you have

nations that are none pony raced?

• Brohoof 1

Clearly ponies are very successful as a species. They're everywhere and there are many kinds. As for other non-ponies, probably. I mean the dragons are out there. There's the cows and the donkeys. The Zebras, as you mentioned. Pretty much anything of sufficient size and a few of insufficient size (breezies) can communicate with language and develop non-genetic transmission of information (culture). As ponies become critically successful, they'll either drive other races into small secluded non-premium real estate, or absorb them into a blended pony mono-culture. The ponies already are powerful enough to affect the environment, they do a better job than we do at that.

Edited by Aidan OGain
  • Brohoof 1

As ponies become critically successful, they'll either drive other races into small secluded non-premium real estate, or absorb them into a blended pony mono-culture

That is a touch of a scary thought of the future of pony kind and other races...yet for say we do

get "Eastern "  Unicorns, could this be a good way to also expand in culture that MLP writers

but in which way?  Will they stand to mostly use Chinese? Or will they touch more also

into Japanese?  Also in throw,  the Eastern dragon is vastly cast as a divine and good

being which is a very black to white of examples of dragons we have seen in the show

to this point which is very European in given of the old tales/folklore minus Spike...

• Brohoof 1

Anaerobic bacteria, the original planetary inhabitants were driven into tiny pockets with the rise of oxygen producing photosynthesizing kinds. They were literally poisoned. Animals and plants that become successful naturally take up space. Rats are a good example. In fact, when we call something "pests" or "vermin" it's actually a compliment to their evolutionary success. So ponies, if they're successful, will become a kind of vermin. If not, they're a sad endangered species. Still, it looks like Dragons are the apex predator in this world. They can seriously throw their weight around and there are a lot of them. Ponies aren't the only successful species. As long as one creature doesn't gain an extreme advantage, the balance should be maintained.

Who knows what they'll use. They might not use any of it. To be honest, that sea serpent, Steven? in the river in Friendship is Magic seemed very much like a Chinese Dragon.

I'm very much into Chinese culture, so I'd prefer to see Chinese derived stuff. Japan is better known in the west, like our word for Chan, "Zen". But I have a lot of faith in the writers to make good and thought-provoking decisions.

Maybe Spike might learn how to be the good kind of eastern dragon and help rainbow dash with the weather.