Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Newbie Nervousness

The Lonely Paradox

>Be me

>Be a muffin

>Have only friends with at least 100 posts

>Be too afraid to make art requests

>Be too afraid to make friend requests to Butterflies, Squirrels, Dragons, etc.

>Be in a hurry to make posts so that the site stops telling me that I am too much of a noob to debate

Am I worrying too much about this? Tenure seems to be one of the things that consistently affects your standing in a community and the way others in that community perceive you, no matter where you are on the internet. I don't want to have an inferiority complex or anything, but I don't want to act all experienced when I'm not and suffer the embarrassment of having someone point out how new I am. Can anyone relate?

• Brohoof 4

I know that feeling, I felt that way when I first joined here :). However, I have grown used to being around users here and post counts doesn't really make you experienced, anyone can post a lot here ;). Even if you are inexperienced, it is alright, no one will judge you :D. I hope you have fun here and will make more friends that are above 100 posts  :smug:

• Brohoof 3

Thanks, man. The internet is a harsh place, even within some corners of the Bronysphere. I just have a mentality to never let my guard down and to never over-estimate my importance. It's nice to know that this place is truly different.

• Brohoof 3

I felt a lot like that too when I joined, it took a while until I saw that this enviroment is safe for me to be myself and I don't need to hide from anyone. =) 

and I feel like I have still a lot more to improve on me, but the major tension has finally gone away for me=)

• Brohoof 5

(edited)
Am I worrying too much about this? Tenure seems to be one of the things that consistently affects your standing in a community and the way others in that community perceive you, no matter where you are on the internet.

You're worrying too much about this.  What forums rank someone has isn't necessarily proportionate to how well-respected they are in a community.  It's who you are as an individual that determines whether or not you're likely to make interesting posts or topics, and - at the end of the day - it's just a damned forum.  You won't be run off the internet or kicked out of the fandom.  I would suggest not text-walling straight out of the gate.  Or spamming vs. and / or hyper-analytical "theory" topics.  Largely because those annoy me. xDD  And they seem a go-to for newer posters.

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby
  • Brohoof 3

Thanks

You're worrying too much about this.  What forums rank someone has isn't necessarily proportionate to how well-respected they are in a community.  It's who you are as an individual that determines whether or not you're likely to make interesting posts or topics, and - at the end of the day - it's just a damned forum.  You won't be run off the internet or kicked out of the fandom.  I would suggest not text-walling straight out of the gate.  Or spamming vs. and / or hyper-analytical "theory" topics.  Largely because those annoy me. xDD  And they seem a go-to for newer posters.

Thanks for the advice!

• Brohoof 3

Just be yourself and don't worry about what others think. No one is going to call you out for being new; that's not the type of community we are. :)

• Brohoof 2

Most people feel that way they first join, especially myself, it's a normal reaction.

No one is going to bite your head off lol, you're gonna be fine, best of luck in posting and making more friends~

• Brohoof 3

I still feel that way, Im afraid to send friend requests and stuff to people with higher rank then me. :mellow:

It is ok, we won't bite..... unless you are a Celestial Royalist post-28830-0-87867800-1428770358.png (JK  :derp:)

• Brohoof 1

I definitely relate  :lol:

I remember that if I just could reach cupcake, maybe it wouldn't feel that bad. It was better, but it wasn't before parasprite I felt comfortable.

Honestly thought now I don't care at the rank at all. All I care about is who is talking, which I base on the profile picture.

Which leaves me confused sometimes since I never look at the persons name...  so Alienman, Odd-pokemon-lady, Little-hipster-fella, Heroic-guy, Rarity-fan-guy, Soldier-boy and Baby-discord profile picture people should keep it up, whatever your names are :lol:

Basically if you reach cupcake, and keep a memorable profile picture, you're A+ in my book. Depending on what you write ofc  B)

• Brohoof 2

I was nervous when I made my Welcoming post. But I naturally got used to posting on the internet. Also, friendship seems to find me here rather that me looking for friendship. What I mean is that people add me as a friend more than I add them as a friend.

I was pretty nervous too when I made my welcome post but when I explored the forum, I made millions of friends on here

I am still an parasite though 

• 7 years later...
41 minutes ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

Only a month?  That's WOW:wau:  

Yeah. I was only active for like a month or so after joining. Then I went on a year long hiatus. Well more like after a year passed I remembered having an account on here and came back. 

When I first showed up here I was way more outgoing and outspoken than I am now. I couldn’t shut up! (Unlike now of course). The only thing I was nervous about was posting new threads of my own. I had my threads regularly locked on a previous site for very little reason and it made me feel self-conscious. I post threads now, but it took me years to get back into it.

• Hugs 1

• 10 months later...

I remember coming here for the first time. Not sure what to post or what- till I step upon “game forum” and participated in it. It was how i actually got comfortable and grow to know most of the members here. Then I begin to expend my socializing in debate and RP. Sign. Good time good time. 

43 minutes ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

Didn't know what to expect when I started here, got attached to the pony emojis. 

Made only few posts in the first few months, still uneasy posting my own topics.   

I am very certain that @Planeswalker Silky was around the Forums back in early 2020, but I was not even aware of her.  

I was always a lurker. I also fell in love with the emojis. Back then I took all my friends to Skype LOL! 

but I became super active after the pandemic made me close my business down LOL and I didn’t want this place to die or be forgotten as many had been planning to leave due to some strange misunderstandings. 

Look at it this way. This site has so many people it is near mathematically impossible for you to not be able to make friends.

The odds are completely in your favor.

So even if let's say you get rejected by someone oh well that's 1/2000+ people so you now have 1999 more chances.

And for this sites that's a really low number I'm sure someone can probably give you an even more accurate and bigger number which even better odds.

Now, knowing all of that do you feel better?