Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Discord's jealousy?

Bryght Knowledge

Amber, you do make some good points, though what happened if Discord actually thought that Fluttershy was in love with Tree Hugger. Discord is the master of Chaos, you don't know what he thinks.

(edited)

I think you could read it in a shippy way if that's your thing, but given the context, the fact that Discord has never had a real friend before and isn't exactly known for his calm, reasonable behaviour to start with it makes just as much sense for it to be platonic. Friend-jealousy is definitely a thing, and I'm pretty sure it's something most of us have or will feel at some point (I know I have :please: - also, it's more relatable to the younger target audience, who are more likely to have experienced "my friend has a new friend!!" angst than romantic jealousy). I think Discord's actions make sense whether or not you assume he also has a crush on Flutters - I'm not a shipper, but I could kinda see it from his side. I really, really hope they don't ever go there though because I love their platonic friendship so much :kindness:

As for what the writers intended...there was definitely a bit of ship-tease going on and I think they knew that and were having fun with it, but ultimately we're supposed to see it as platonic.

(Meanwhile, I'm a Dislestia shipper so I was squeeing over Celestia being the only one to laugh at Discord's joke about Twilight :lol: )

Edited by Coco before Pommel
  • Brohoof 2

The level of Discord's jealousy in itself doesn't imply a romantic relationship any more than it can be interpreted to come from the fact that Fluttershy is the only real friend Discord has. The remainder of the Mane 6 can't be considered true friends as they continue to be extremely annoyed and put off by his presence, except for Pinkie Pie who mostly seems too distracted to even care.

The less friends you have, the more protective and dependent you are over the ones you have. This I know from experience as I am just recently re-integrating after a period of social isolation with only a few friends from whom I am separated by time and distance. I've acted just like Discord on this very site in the past and continue to do so every now and again. I've also had a similar but slightly different situation where I feel that my friends are much better people than I am and deserve better than me as a friend. I credit @Geek0zoid for expanding on this issue as it was portrayed in the episode as I can relate to it very much.

• Brohoof 1

I think they very purposely made TreeHugger a female to avoid implying that Discord had a crush on Fluttershy and was jealous in a romantic way.  :huh:

Although, making Treehugger male would have added a whole new layer.

On the other hand if you change the gender of Discord into Eris and Fluttershy into a nice guy Butterscotch, then entire opening and episode feel even more moving toward the romantic type jealousy in that perspective. Is basically Discord hoping to be her date on the Gala and then being angry at her that she didn't invited him.

On the other hand if you change the gender of Discord into Eris and Fluttershy into a nice guy Butterscotch, then entire opening and episode feel even more moving toward the romantic type jealousy in that perspective.

I have no clue what you just said.

I have no clue what you just said.

You probably haven't heard of genderbend version of these two so here's one picture with them.

Is that girls acting excited about the guy asking them to the Gala would be more common depiction and more obvious shipping. Since roles are reversed in that episode, people just see this as innocent platonic friendship. Just like Treehugger being a girl change the implication about the jealousy. It would be different if this was a guy. Same if it was Futtershy being jealous and hoping to be asked by Discord to go for the Gala

post-22941-0-96298300-1432339546_thumb.png

In "Keep Calm and Flutter On", Discord was psychologically manipulated into believing that no Fluttershy in his life would be bad for him. I'm going to have put Fluttershy as the responsible one for not getting Discord past this mentality she put on him.