Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I absolutely LOVED Treehugger

Buck Testa

She seems to be getting a lot of flack after end of the episode so I'm going to throw my two cents into the mix.

People saw she was a hippie and seemed to of tuned out anything interesting she had to offer, writing her off as a bland one note stereotype. I can't help but be reminded of the same thing happening to one Maud pie, though not quite to this degree. When I watched her, I saw an eccentric and slightly snarky pony with an eclectic way of speaking. Her and fluttershy seemed to of bonded off screen while she was over on her trip to the breezies, and probably exchanged letters with Flutters since then like with how Discord and miss Shy interacts. They both share a love with animals and an innate ability to manipulate animals, Flutters with her Stare and Treesy with her voice. In a way Treehugger is to Fluttershy what Cheese Sandwich was to Pinkie Pie.

People have commented that she was oblivious to what was going on, and I ask if we watched the same episode? For example when she claims not to know Discord, that smirk, eyeroll, and eyebrow raise when she asks if they met in another life says to me she knew EXACTLY what the lord of chaos was up to and was just playing his own game better.

And the relationship between Flutters and Treesy is quite fascinating ( even beyond my own shipping goggles which have already launched them into practical otp status ). This is someone Fluttershy found where she can truly share her interests, some of which she could never talk about with the other mane six. Shes not going to discuss spirituality and auras with Twilight, she's far to scientific minded for that, and RD would get bored really fast. Rarity wouldn't want to hear about her animals, Pinkie is Pinkie, and AJ is on the farm a lot. Even Discord, one friend that she shares tuesday tea with, is largely immature and is more of a project than a friend she can truly rely on. 

Meeting someone who shares her interests and gives her own unique spin to the love of animals and nature is probably enthralling to Fluttershy, and she has been shown to take to calm and collected personalities, and Treehugger is nothing if not Mellow and calm. She's a friend like nothing Fluttershy has had before, and all because she stepped out of her confort zone, left her cottage, and took a chance to see the breezies on her own. 

This is about Fluttershy's impressive amount of character development this season, about her reaching out and making bonds a few seasons back she would of been to shy and timid to even attempt...

So when I see "ugh hippy boo, worst character ever" it just makes me wonder AGAIN why people who refuse to see the good in characters even bother to watch the show in the first place. Mellow out and enjoy the show man. 

• Brohoof 10

I'll admit that although I found her character to be very stereotypical, that didn't make her a bad character at all. I really like how chill she is. At the end of the episode she didn't even hesitate to forgive Discord straight away for almost sending her to another dimension.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You brought up some very sound points; and I agree with you 100%. I think people are being to harsh, as well. Treehugger is a stereotypical hippie, yes; but at the same time, she is quite unique to the show. Her mellow personality is a refreshing change. I personally found her to be a funny and intriguing character; and hope to see more of her in future episodes. I'm sure whatever scenario she would be added to would create some laughs.

Treehugger and Fluttershy are practically perfect for each other. I don't ship characters, but they are like kindred spirits -- the type of person that makes you think, where have you been all my life?! That's not diminishing Fluttershy's relationship with the mane 5, of course, but having someone to discussion your passions with that understands on a deep level is...a breath of fresh air, so to speak. It was great to see Fluttershy beginning to come out of her social shell and make new friends. And I'd say that it was quite a leap in her character development. I don't know about everyone else, but I felt proud of her, haha. :P

Edited by RainbowJaxs16
  • Brohoof 3

Hugs All Around

I also absolutely love Tree Hugger, her character design, the way she is voiced by Nicole Oliver (Princess Celestia!) and how she makes a such a perfect friend for Fluttershy while adding a delightfully playful poke at new-age naturalism.

That said, I can also understand how some fans may not warm to her, because she is pretty over the top in just about every way, and somewhat incongruous from other characters we've seen so far in the series. But I think that will eventually change.

post-2150-0-05297800-1432268992_thumb.png

People just need like a few minutes to clear out their chakras before they can hug her from a place of authenticity.

• Brohoof 5

You brought up some very sound points; and I agree with you 100%. I think people are being to harsh, as well. Treehugger is a stereotypical hippie, yes; but at the same time, she is quite unique to the show. Her mellow personality is a refreshing change. I personally found her to be a funny and intriguing character; and hope to see more of her in future episodes. I'm sure whatever scenario she would be added to would create some laughs.

Treehugger and Fluttershy are practically perfect for each other. I don't ship characters, but they are like kindred spirits -- the type of person that makes you think, where have you been all my life?! That's not diminishing Fluttershy's relationship with the mane 5, of course, but having someone to discussion your passions with that understands on a deep level is...a breath of fresh air, so to speak. It was great to see Fluttershy beginning to come out of her social shell and make new friends. And I'd say that it was quite a leap in her character development. I don't know about everyone else, but I felt proud of her, haha. :P

When I ship, I can go either romantic or deep friendship. Those two are just as you said, kindred spirits, and someone like that could bring out a side of Fluttershy that we haven't seen before. I really REALLY want to see an episode showing how they met and became friends, or some good fanfiction, it's just causing my brain to go into overdrive thinking about it. 

Hugs All Around

I also absolutely love Tree Hugger, her character design, the way she is voiced by Nicole Oliver (Princess Celestia!) and how she makes a such a perfect friend for Fluttershy while adding a delightfully playful poke at new-age naturalism.

That said, I can also understand how some fans may not warm to her, because she is pretty over the top in just about every way, and somewhat incongruous from other characters we've seen so far in the series. But I think that will eventually change.

attachicon.giftree_hugger__vector__by_davidsfire-d8u7gxk-460.png

People just need like a few minutes to clear out their chakras before they can hug her from a place of authenticity.

I also love her character design and how wonderful she looks next to fluttershy, which might add to the copious amounts of FlutterHugger pics I've made lol. 

Yes, Chackra clearing for everybody! 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

O.K., I couldn't help but read that in her voice and it made me laugh! :P I mean seriously, people really shouldn't get their auras all discombobulated, because it sends a wacked-out vibe that totally disrupts the mellowness of life, man. :comeatus:

Any-who, haha. :P I Googled pictures of Treehugger and apparently people REALLY hate her; because this popped up:

post-33008-0-23229100-1432278841.jpg

To such people I say, chill...seriously.

Edited by RainbowJaxs16
  • Brohoof 1

O.K., I couldn't help but read that in her voice and it made me laugh! :P I mean seriously, people really shouldn't get their auras all discombobulated, because it sends a wacked-out vibe that totally disrupts the mellowness of life, man. :comeatus:

Any-who, haha. :P I Googled pictures of Treehugger and apparently people REALLY hate her; because this popped up:

To such people I say, chill...seriously.

That pic was actually part of the episode. : P It's at 4:15, when Discord is using a periscope.

• Brohoof 2

I admit that my first impression to Tree Hugger was negative. This is because I have inside of me a little prejudice against "new age" people or something like that. Rationalizing it, of course, generalizations are never a good thing..

However, returning to the character of Tree Hugger (Treesy??..pff) I think that, basically, she's not so bad as I thought at first. Of course, not one of my favorite characters, but all in all, is a quite fresh character. Moreover I think she is the perfect friend for Fluttershy.And then I like her mane-dreadlocks.

Also many of you say that Tree Smoker..ehm Tree Hugger is a character hated by many people .. frankly,I don't see this "hatred" against her, indeed .. it seems to me the opposite. You just have to accept that not everyone can like that character. For some others she is simply indifferent.

Some say that she is a stoner? ( B) ....I'm kidding) eh,this is because of certain stereotypes (they often are not so far from reality, but that's another story) and however..I don't think they say this with hatred.

I kinda liked Treehugger as well.

I don't really get the hate for her, though. People don't seem to like their "hippies"...e.e

I think she was fine, there's not anything else I can say on her. XD