Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Shouldn't Mayor Mare be out of a job?

KillerKingBakudan

I don't think Twilight has the heart to take Mayor Mare out of her job. Plus she has better things to be doing other than sorting files and writing up documents that no one will ever read.

Twilight does not rule Ponyville.  She's the Princess of Friendship.  Her duty is to use her influence, with her friends, to spread the magic of friendship across the land and solve various social problems. 

I don't think Twilight has the heart to take Mayor Mare out of her job. Plus she has better things to be doing other than sorting files and writing up documents that no one will ever read.

Pretty much this.

Mayor Mare still runs Ponyville even though there is a princess residing there.  I doubt Twilight would take that post away from her.  More likely she would offer to help Mayor Mare organizing various things rather than pull rank and make all the decisions herself.

On the same token, Mayor Mare would respect Twilight's input on how things should be run and probably welcome the help.  I can't see the two of them quibbling over how Ponyville is governed.  More likely they'd just cooperate with one another to keep things running smoothly. 

Edited by J. Brony
  • Brohoof 1

Chances are Mayor Mare holds very little power anyway after all Equestria is an Absolute Monarchy, which has been ruled by the same Dictator for over 1000 years. There is seemingly no elections for the role of Mayor (infact the only example of Democracy in Equestria seems to be for ponyville school president).

• Brohoof 1

Mayors existed in the middle ages under kings and queens. Same deal.

Besides, Twilight's rulership seems to be much like Luna: I.E. she rules over an esoteric domain (like the night for luna, Friendship for Twilight) and does very little to no actual beaurocracy except in special situations.

Well, my ideas on the matter have already been stated, but I'll say them anyway.

Mayor Mare has an administrative position; organizing town events, keeping things running, settling minor disputes. Twilight is the Princess of Friendship and just so happens to be based in Ponyville. Twilight's role is to spread and encourage friendship with the help of the Mane 6. While Twilight Sparkle may, as a Princess, have certain rights to create, alter, or veto bylaws and local policy, she is not responsible for day to day operations. I would even go so far as to say she is not responsible for Ponyville at all, only to the concept and magic of friendship, and her jurisdiction has no regard to geography.

• Brohoof 1