Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Questions about MLP! (For a school documentary)

mew22

Hi everyone!

I am making a documentary on MLP, bronies in particular, for a high school project. I was hoping that I could get some true MLP fan opinions. This film is not meant to show MLP fans or bronies in a negative way, it is simply meant to shed truth and light on the growth and transformation of the MLP fandom. So if ANYONE (boys, girls, young or old) would be willing to answer any of the following questions on the topic I would REALLY appreciate it. Stories about your journey into the fandom, experience in it, effects of being a fan, or any other stories you wish to share very welcome! There is no judgement here, so please be as honest as you can with your answers.

(There are a lot of questions so, again, you don't have to answer all of them, only what you feel comfortable answering, or you can just explain your general experience with MLP and Bronies)

Questions:

What gender do you identify as?

When and how did you find out about MLP?

Why do you like the show?

Do you think MLP is a high quality show? Why or why not?

What about the show (how its written, characters. etc.) do you think makes it appealing to both children and adults?

Do you think the show provides valuable morals and if so why (give some examples from the show)? And what demographic do those morals apply to?

What do you think is MLP's target audience?

Which character do you most identify with and why?

Why do you think the creators decided to make the majority of the main characters adults, and do you think this is a good thing for a children's show?

What is a "Brony" (In your opinion)?

What is a stereotypical "Brony"?

Would you identify as a "Brony"? Why or why not? (If "yes" then continue on to the numbered questions, if "no" skip the numbered questions)

Questions for Bronies in specific

1. What makes you a "Brony"?
  2. When did you first identify as a "Brony"?
  3. Why did you decide to join this particular cummunity?
  4. Why do you identify as a "Brony" as opposed to just a normal MLP fan?
  5. Has your experience in the community overall been positive or negative?
  6. Have you received any judgement, harassment, or ridicule for being a "Brony"? If so, what happened?
  7. How does MLP relate to you on a personal level?
  8. Has the Brony community helped you in any way? 
  9. Has any part of the Brony community done anything you thought was wrong?
  10. Do you have ANY interesting or emotional stories you wish to share on the topic?

(If you already answered the Brony questions, you can skip the rest)

What is your overall opinion of "Bronies"? What do you think of them? Do you think it is wrong to be one?

Has any part of the Brony community done anything that you thought was wrong?

Have you ever observed judgment, ridicule or harassment aimed at the Brony community?

Do you have ANY interesting or emotional opinions or stories you wish to share on the topic?

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Any feedback is really appreciated  :)

• Brohoof 2

Male

I've always known about MLP. It's just one of those things you know exist.

Its Innocence and Optimism. It never fails to cheer me up, and that's rare these days.

The fact that it has such a high Viewing rate among such a wide variety of viewers signifies that's it's a High Quality show.

My Personal thoughts, Yes. It has wonderful story telling, and relateable characters. Those two things are the most important things I look for in any Entertainment Medium.

What about the show (how its written, characters. etc.) do you think makes it appealing to both children and adults?

Characters and Story. It's funny, and people can relate to the problems that are solved (Usually).

Do you think the show provides valuable morals and if so why (give some examples from the show)? And what demographic do those morals apply to?

The Morals are pretty hit-and-miss for me. Some of them I've found are very good, Such as "Never underestimate a friend (Dog and Pony Show/Swarm of the Century/Dragonshy). Others I just flat out disagree with. (Pinkie Keen/Cutie Mark Chronicles)

Young Children. Girls mostly. MLP was made to sell toys. Though Hasbro has been expanding their target demographic quite a bit lately.

Season 1 Twilight Sparkle. I'm like she was. Terribly lonely, but confident in myself. Very booksmart, but incredibly street dumb.

Why do you think the creators decided to make the majority of the main characters adults, and do you think this is a good thing for a children's show?

Never thought about that before. I don't know.

A Non-Target Demographic fan of the Show or concept. The way I see it, if you like the show, or the fandom, or even just the toys, than you're a brony.

Bronies defy stereotypes. The only trait I've found in most Bronies is optimism and tolerance. Pretty much everything else is completely different.

Would you identify as a "Brony"? Why or why not? (If "yes" then continue on to the numbered questions, if "no" skip the numbered questions)

Yes. I love the show, and the fandom.

What makes you a "Brony"?

I love the Show and the Fandom.

When did you first identify as a "Brony"?

February 13th, 2015, 4 O'clock in the morning. I'd just finished Binge watching the first half of Season 1 for the first time.

Why did you decide to join this particular cummunity?

I was tired of no one knowing i was a brony, but I knew no one in real life who would accept me as one, so I came online to find others I could talk to.

Why do you identify as a "Brony" as opposed to just a normal MLP fan?

I don't see those two things as different.

Has your experience in the community overall been positive or negative?

Very Positive. This is literally the friendliest place I've discovered on the internet.

Have you received any judgement, harassment, or ridicule for being a "Brony"? If so, what happened?

No, but only because no one know's I'm a brony.

How does MLP relate to you on a personal level?

It cheers me up, and many of it's problems are things I've faced before. It's driven me to become a better person.

Has the Brony community helped you in any way? 

I've learned how to draw! And how to Write!

Has any part of the Brony community done anything you thought was wrong?

Clop. Just, no. Ugh. 

Do you have ANY interesting or emotional stories you wish to share on the topic?

Nah.

• Brohoof 2

@@mew22

I'm gonna go ahead and answer these ^_^ I hope my feedback and any future posts will help you with your project ;)

What gender do you identify as? I was born a female and identify myself as a female, I may be a bit of a tomboy but I'm a girl through and through ^_^

When and how did you find out about MLP? I had already known about G3 during my childhood but never took an interest or watched it. As for G4, I discovered it through some posters for a Brony fan club going on after school during eighth grade. Didn't pay much mind to it, only knew some of my guy friends were members. It wasn't until ninth grade when I was reintroduced to the show that I truly immersed myself in the show.

Why do you like the show? While many can comment on the animation and character depths to justify their liking of the show as adults, I'm gonna be honest with my reason. It's simply a good time. When I actually sat down to watch the show at a friend's request and recommendation, I realized I was enjoying it and that there was actually a show obviously made for kids that doesn't talk down to its audience and is pretty smart and funny for any age :)

Do you think MLP is a high quality show? Why or why not? With its production and creation, yes it's very high quality compared to other shows targetted at the same demographic. The animation is superb and you can tell alot of care and thought goes into the creation of the episodes and the characters' personalities.

What about the show (how its written, characters. etc.) do you think makes it appealing to both children and adults? The humor for one is something anyone can laugh at really, it's not dumbed down or resorts to fart jokes and the like. The characters are also very relatable. To a child they're simply colorful ponies with different personalities, but for older fans we tend to look at every aspect of the characters and are even inspired by them. They're characters we can root for and love and they aren't bland like in some other little kid's show. Also there are some clever references thrown in every now and then for an adult eye to catch ;)

Do you think the show provides valuable morals and if so why (give some examples from the show)? And what demographic do those morals apply to? The show definitely does a good job at providing some important morals for children to learn. Lessons like don't judge a book by a cover or a pony before getting to know them, the value of patience, and everypony's contributions are important no matter how small are mostly helpful for kids. Yet there are some like how hurtful gossip can be, how your desire for responsibility can outrun your ability to handle it, and you can't force two people to be together plus many others are actually targetted more towards a slightly older audience if you think about it and I think they're all valuable and important to learn :)

What do you think is MLP's target audience? Of course the first priority is making something that makes the little kids this show was created for happy. So they're the target, and always will be truthfully. The show may include nods to the fandom and older viewers, but it will always be a show for kids no matter what.

Which character do you most identify with and why? Given how much depression has completely broken me down these past few months I can't say I identify as much with Pinkie Pie like before, but I am starting to relate to another character I also love, Princess Luna :) I hope to become stronger with all that I've gone through and I'm willing to put forth effort to control my emotions more and create a new beginning in my life eventually. The character that represents new beginnings and second chances in the show is definitely Luna. Although we both have obviously gone through pretty different experiences, I hope to grow like she has over the show's run. From a naive and curious young princess to a helpful guide to younger ponies, I hope to put aside my past just as she has and work hard to help others around me.

Why do you think the creators decided to make the majority of the main characters adults, and do you think this is a good thing for a children's show? From my viewpoint and from what I've seen this is a thought commonly shared among bronies and even the show's creator, there are actually few true adults in the show. The Mane Six are seen as young adults since they are still in the process of discovering their permanent and true role in life. They may have their cutiemarks and talents clear, but they still have yet to truly see where these will take them, and that's actually a good thing for a children's show. These characters show young viewers what it's like to become better in what you do and truly finding your purpose and where you belong in life and we can grow along with them.

What is a "Brony" (In your opinion)? Male or female older fan of MLP.

What is a stereotypical "Brony"? From what I've seen floating around the interwebs, the common definition of a brony is "An older man or teenage guy who still lives in their parents' basement and spends all their time on the internet looking at ponies and clopping." ^_^

Would you identify as a "Brony"? Why or why not? I do. I still enjoy this show though not as much as before due to my depression, but I will always say I'm a fan and part of the community, and that to me makes me a brony.

Brony Specific Questions

1. What makes you a "Brony"? Loving the show, the characters and the community centered around it and being a part of it.
  2. When did you first identify as a "Brony"? After marathoning all the episodes that had aired up to that point (2 seasons and a few episodes from season 3) and realizing I wanted to stick around for the new ones.

3. Why did you decide to join this particular cummunity? Around the time I actually immersed myself within the actual Brony community it was simply because I wanted to meet and talk to other fans and share my thoughts on the show.

4. Why do you identify as a "Brony" as opposed to just a normal MLP fan? Because as opposed to just watching the show and nothing else, I'm actually a part of the community. I've been a member of these forums for quite some time now, I make pony art on deviantART and make review videos on Youtube.

5. Has your experience in the community overall been positive or negative? For the most part, quite positive.

6. Have you received any judgement, harassment, or ridicule for being a "Brony"? If so, what happened? Pretty much most of the time I comment on a nonpony Youtube video ^_^ The haters always come storming in with insults and say pretty judgemental and harsh things. Of course this is because they simply don't understand what the community actually is.

7. How does MLP relate to you on a personal level? Not that much as of late to be honest, but in regards to my past it did connect me with this lovely community and though that's done me some personal harm, it will always have a special place in my heart :)

8. Has the Brony community helped you in any way? It's given me somewhere I can always come to just kill time or talk to a friend or two, and honestly that's what I need most now.

9. Has any part of the Brony community done anything you thought was wrong? I will admit there are certain more radical and hardcore fans that have done some pretty questionable things when something in the show goes awry or not to their liking and they retaliate by attacking the people in charge. Not the best image to give, but that's not the majority thankfully.

10. Do you have ANY interesting or emotional stories you wish to share on the topic? Let me just say that this show connecting me with the community and the forums in specific have done quite alot of personal harm for one reason alone, but I would prefer not overwhelming anyone here once more with that story again.

• Brohoof 1

Questions:

I am male. 

Must have been...four or five years ago when it was still...new.

- It's a nice break away from my life, expectations, stress. 

- It didn't always do this, but it make references to so many things like Blazing Saddles, Alcoholic recipes, Video Games, it's neat to        .just rewatch it and look for them.

-It's kinda cheesy to say it has a good message, but it does encourage being friendly to others and value the people near to your heart

-I think on some level, it is. It was initially built for...well, little girls, (and their mothers, actually), but when guys picked it up, they had to  do a 180 and please a more diverse crowd than anyone expected, which they've both failed and succeeded at, as to e expected. 

-I think that the clarity of the personalities, if one can get past the medium, somehow resonates with people. They see something in them that they wish they could just strive towards. 

-I personally enjoy the style of animation, the humor and the carefree attitude that revolves around the show, it's nice.

-I can't personally say the show has taught me any lessons, but hanging around the fandom has been enlightening in unexpected ways. Though I do see a lot of females, mostly, telling people it has a good message, not really sure why. 

- Initially, it was for little girls and their adult mothers, but the writers had to target both genders to some degree, with age being irrelevant. 

- I have similarities with a number of the charecters, but i prefer to not identify with any of them, they aren't real after all.

Princess Twilight Sparkle: We share the same personality type, (ISTJ), and a joy for learning. 

Fluttershy: I have my issues with being social, and assertive at times. 

Applejack: I have country roots, and proud of it. 

Rarity: I'm quite the perfectionist at times.

-I have never considered what age the charecters were, but I don't think that it matters all the much to the audience in general.

A fna of MLP that lies outside of what people would consider to be the correct audience.

I've been...'informed' that we are all...'Basement lurking, fedora wearing neckbeard (fags) with pedophiliac and zoolfiliac (tendencies) that have been planted in us by Satan to sway us (from what men should really be)'. (That is a quote by the way, cleaned up for you)

I will probably never dall my self a Brony, (I dislike labels), but I'm a pretty big fan of MLP. (In reality, I could probably play either side of the whole brony v.s. fan thing). It's helped me get through some stuff, and let me tell you: I have no clue why I'm drawn to it, I never expected to be, and I can't drop it for some reason. 

1. What makes you a "Brony"?    Enjoying the show, despite 'my demographic'
  2. When did you first identify as a "Brony"?     After I learned I wasn't the only male fan, and it was okay to like the show.
  3. Why did you decide to join this particular cummunity?     I have something in common with them, and it's a unique community.
  4. Why do you identify as a "Brony" as opposed to just a normal MLP fan? I've invested more energy into MLP than the norm fan, 
  5. Has your experience in the community overall been positive or negative? It's been positive, mostly.
  6. Have you received any judgement, harassment, or ridicule for being a "Brony"? If so, what happened? Yes, I certainly have gotten my (un)fair share of flak, from close minded people around my school. Names, mostly. Nothing I like to dwell on.
  7. How does MLP relate to you on a personal level? I've used the idea of ponies for my own theraputic...services in the past. I am writing a book, and what appens to the main charecter, symbolizes what I go through, I try to search for ways out of my turmoil. 
  8. Has the Brony community helped you in any way? Well, it's helped a bit with my loneliness, given me a place to connect with people and things of that sort, but nothing life changing.
  9. Has any part of the Brony community done anything you thought was wrong? Of course. Alicorn OC's, (*shudders*), Equastria Girls, (*Shudders even more*), random shippings, porn, bad fan fics, cosplay, (*shudders uncontrollably*), but not much I can do besides remaining aloof at times.
  10. Do you have ANY interesting or emotional stories you wish to share on the topic? Hmm...telling people you're a brony certainly can be a fun thing to just drop on people. (Then again, telling the people you love is never easy.)

I hope my answers offer a glimpse into our strange, strange little community, and I greatly appreciate the chance to investigate my own feeling on such matters. I hope the best for your documentary, feel free to share it with this site if your up to it. (I apologize for the dictation of the second set of questions, it go rather hard to control.) Thanks again!

• Brohoof 1

General Questions:

I am biologically and mentally female.

I knew of the show's existence ever since I was little, but regarded it as a childrens' show.  In other words, stereotypically hyper-feminine and poorly written garbage. I didn't know anything about the different generations or the characters.  Finding out about the Bronies was the real surprise.  In my mind, that was like finding out there was a massive adult elmo fandom.

Well, on a basic level, I like the show because it is entertaining.  The characters are very sweet, simple, and genuine, the animation is bright and colorful and beautiful, and while the plots are simple, they are still interesting and very creative. The most important point to it, though, is that MLP, in it's capacity as a morals show, isn't afraid to tell the truth in a simple and clear way.  It isn't afraid to sometimes make you feel bad past behaviour in order to show you better way.  I will always remember when I first watched the episode "Sisterhooves Social", because I have had a difficult relationship with my youngest sister, and I learned right along with Rarity that I "give, but you never give in".

For a children's show, MLP is about as high quality as you can get.  For entertainment for adults, it is slightly lacking.  The MLP fandom needs its fan-generated material to suplement the show which is limited in its ability to please them.  However, I enjoy that interactive feature, so for me the show is very high quality.

For the same reason adults still enjoy Disney movies.  The characters are relateable, the songs are great, and the humor is mostly universal.

Simply put yes.  One notable example is in the episode "The Art of the Dress".  The episode deals with the issue of artistic expression, specifically about staying true to your artistic vision and sensibilities in the face of criticism.  It teaches the audience that an artist should trust themselves to know best rather than limiting themselves to following directions and meeting demands.

Initially the target audience may have been children, but MLP now caters to its adult fandom as well.  Luckily, they don't make too many concessions, though.  They keep the show pretty pure and sometimes slip in a video game reference or two.

I identify very closely with Rarity.  When I was first researching the show, I was sure that I wouldn't like Rarity.  She is a "fashion diva", which usually means an incredibly shallow character who is usually the villain of the story.  I thought she would be the stereotypical girly girl, and she is more traditionally feminine than most of the other characters, however, I was not expecting such a genuine and comprehensive representation of her fashion interests.  Rarity is not a fashion diva who just likes to look nice, she loves to create, and she loves to express herself in unique and powerful ways.  She loves to be true to herself and take pride in her work.  Rarity represents every kind of artist, visual, vocal, or textual.  I very strongly identify with her passion and insecurities.

I think this is a very good choice, because it provides children with role models while at the same time showing that adults have more in common with them than they might believe.  The adult characters are relatable, even to children, which might give them a more realistic idea of growing up.

To me a Brony is someone who is unbiased in their opinions.  They are willing to try new things that others will not, and they are patient and eager to understand.  They are creative, tolerant, and some of the kindest people I have ever met.  They aren't afraid to be genuine and open with their feelings.

The stereotypical Brony is a sexually frustrated young man with a social disorder.  It is a very cruel depiction of very kind people.  Just because someone has different tastes does not make them inferior.

I am a Brony.  I love the show, I love the community, and I don't see myself falling out of love with it anytime soon.

Brony Questions:

More than just enjoying the show, I am a Brony because I love new experiences, I value creativity and fresh perspectives, and I won't let fear of negative judgement stop me from enjoying the things that I love.

I realized I was a Brony after I spent a little time on Brony forums.  I had already watched all four seasons of the show, and I guess I went on the forums to find out why the heck I had done that, to find some validation for all the times I'd laughed or cried while watching.  In other words, I wanted to make sure I wasn't insane.  When I logged on, I found a group of very welcoming and like-minded people, and I realized there was no need to second guess myself so much.  Becoming a Brony was my way of excepting my most bizarre odities and making friends with people just as strange as me.

Why did you decide to join this particular cummunity?
The other bronies were very respectful and interesting.  They are open to discussing meaningful topics and are very intellectual people.  I just wanted to spend more time with them.  Plus, the artistic material they were producing was just amazing.

Because I don't just enjoy, I analyze.  Bronies are fans who take the show further.

Very positive.  There may have been one or two individuals I have had risky interactions with, but the community at large is full of kind and respectful people.

Have you received any judgement, harassment, or ridicule for being a "Brony"? If so, what happened?
Not really.  My family know and disapprove of my inclusion in the fandom, but we don't really openly discuss it.

The Brony community has helped me to stop being so anxious about judgement and just accept myself as the bundle of complexities and contradictions that I am.

I don't think so.  Sometimes Bronies are a little short-sighted in their defense of those they view as socially disadvantaged, but that's an understandable fault, I think.

Do you have ANY interesting or emotional stories you wish to share on the topic?
Not really.

Female.

One of my friends talked about it in 2013. I became a fan sometime in 2014.

It's cute, colorful, and makes me feel like a kid again.

For some reason some of the animation doesn't look very decent to me, but the expressive personalities and unique plots make up for it.

I'm not entirely sure. I guess the plots are more interesting than most kids' shows instead of just being about teaparties and stuff like that. XD It probably appeals to adults because of the humor and references.

The morals are valuable, my favorites being the ones from Feeling Pinkie Keen (Just because you can't explain something doesn't mean it's not real) and Suited for Success (If a friend does something for you for free, be thankful instead of taking advantage of their generosity). I think the morals can apply to anyone, but to be honest I see them applying more towards children because adults don't really need to be taught about friendship. And even those that do need it probably won't listen to the morals. :/

I think it's primarily targeted for girls under 13 but because of bronies, the more later episodes are made with older fans in some consideration.

Apple Bloom because she's trying to find her place in the world and stresses about it a lot. Also,

I personally see the main characters as teenagers. I don't think it's good for them to be adults because children expect adults to be the type of people they should grow up to become. And the main characters do many immature/bad things such as in Fall Weather Friends when Applejack and Rainbow Dash made fun of Twilight for wanting to race.

Anyone who considers themself as one! But for some reason the word brony makes me think of male fans only.

Hmm, a man who is 100% obsessed with MLP but nothing else and looks at inappropriate pony pics, I guess.

No, I call myself a pegasister because I'm a girl. And I would feel out-of-place in the "brony" community because most of them are males twice my age, it seems. :P

----

What is your overall opinion of "Bronies"? What do you think of them? Do you think it is wrong to be one?

I found it surprising so many adult males like MLP, considering I liked MLP:FiM before I found out about the fanbase. XD  But I think it's a-okay to be a brony!

Has any part of the Brony community done anything that you thought was wrong?

Yeah, I think there's too much flaming over opinions and stuff. :/ But oh well, all fandoms have stuff like that.

Have you ever observed judgment, ridicule or harassment aimed at the Brony community?

Yeah, but as long as they aren't harassing individuals directly, I don't care.

Do you have ANY interesting or emotional opinions or stories you wish to share on the topic?

Hmm, one of my friends used to start doing really mean things but once she started watching MLP she became a wonderful person again. I know that's not very detailed but it's one of the reasons MLP means a lot to me.

• Brohoof 1

What gender do you identify as? Female

When and how did you find out about MLP? Through the wonderful thing called Netflix and the internet!

Why do you like the show? It is the most cheerful thing that has ever happened to me thus far and I have made a lot of friends because of it!

Do you think MLP is a high quality show? Why or why not? The animation and everything could be better but, the entire plot and character personalities/traits are superb!

What about the show (how its written, characters. etc.) do you think makes it appealing to both children and adults? Due to all the happiness, running around, adventure, and etc. it has attracted a much older audience, but, the younger audience is still there it has just faded.

Do you think the show provides valuable morals and if so why (give some examples from the show)? And what demographic do those morals apply to? The earlier episodes of G4 had all of the morals but as time goes on it just the exact same moral. "Be nice to others." or "Treat others the ways you want to be treated.". These morals can and have been used but they aren't the same anymore.

What do you think is MLP's target audience? Supposed to be little kids like 5 years old, but now a days with Lauren Faust accepting the fact that everyone watches the show I think there is no target.

Which character do you most identify with and why? I think I would have to be a Rainbow Dash, because I am so loyal to my friends and I won't let go of them unless my mother steps in or they did something terrible enough to let them go their own way.

Why do you think the creators decided to make the majority of the main characters adults, and do you think this is a good thing for a children's show? I really never thought of all of their ages because Mr. and Mrs. Cake had two children but the main six hasn't even thought to get into a relationship. So to that extent I really don't think they are that old at all.

What is a "Brony" (In your opinion)? Everyone and anyone who has watched or is currently watching the show MLP: FIM male or female it does not matter to me.

What is a stereotypical "Brony"? From what I heard around the internet. It is a overweight male who sits alone at his computer all the time and watches the show.

Would you identify as a "Brony"? Why or why not? (If "yes" then continue on to the numbered questions, if "no" skip the numbered questions) Yes, I do, in fact with being a female people say I am a pegasister and not a Brony. I tell them no, I am a Brony because I watch the show like they do. I am 100% Brony because I love the show, talk on forums, and collect the merchandise.

1. What makes you a "Brony"? For watching MLP:FIM for 2-3 years straight, I think it is safe to call myself that.
  2. When did you first identify as a "Brony"? After 2 days of watching and finishing the first and second season of MLP
  3. Why did you decide to join this particular cummunity? Just the continual happiness and the nice people who have banded together to be Bronies, not as one gender or race but all of the genders and races! Also, there were a lot of memes about it so I decided to check them out.
  4. Why do you identify as a "Brony" as opposed to just a normal MLP fan? Being a Brony take the time and effort to collect and talk about the show and also to protect your rights as a Brony. It also takes the calmness when anti-bronies are running their mouth. Being a Brony to me takes the time wo watch the shows when they come out on Saturday and when they come back out of Netflix and rewatch them over and over when a newer season of the show is coming out.
  5. Has your experience in the community overall been positive or negative? It has been the best 2 or 3 years of my life. Due to the fact I have made so many new friends and the show being my source of happiness.
  6. Have you received any judgement, harassment, or ridicule for being a "Brony"? If so, what happened? Not only from my family but from people online and sometimes at school. Like I said before it takes a lot to stay calm during those times but I try and I do sometimes get out of it before I lose control.
  7. How does MLP relate to you on a personal level? Canterlot and Manehattan. I have always wanted to be in the big city and I am always creating new pieces of art that I wish could go to the major level.
  8. Has the Brony community helped you in any way? I get called a Sociopath a lot, not because I am violent or I am a murderer. They call me that because I am a loner and I am bi-polar. After I started watching the show my bi-polar "malfunction" has gone away. I am still kind of a loner but not as much.
  9. Has any part of the Brony community done anything you thought was wrong? R34 and Clop. As long as it doesn;t come to me I can live with it. I really just don't like bestiality because I think it is wrong in every way. 
  10. Do you have ANY interesting or emotional stories you wish to share on the topic? The show and it's community has changed my life forever it has helped me find new people and cure myself of being bi-polar. It is the best thing that has ever happened to me and without it I would not have found the love of my life or my true self.
  • Brohoof 1

Male

Around 2012 when Memes started to pop-up more frequently and I got interested so I started to watch the show.

Good question. I like the drawing style, the characters, the humor, the references to all kinds of stuff, the topics etc.

Well, yes but I do think it is a bit overrated and people tend to make the show better than it actually is... It sure is a good show, especially for a kids show.

The characters are lovely written, the humor is pretty interesting even for adults and the topics dealt with and lessons learned can be of equal value to many adults too.

Yes, it does but I can't come up with good examples here atm.

It used to be mainly little girls around 5-11 years old but I think it changed after the Brony fandom became popular so they are trying to aim the show more at adults too.

Tough one, I actually don't really know.

The mane 6 are more in their teens from their behavior... Is that a good thing for a children's show; possibly but I'm not a child and I have no idea what they would think about this.

A (male) fan of the show that is over 12 years old. Can include being part of the fandom but doesn't have to; I'd consider everyone in this age group who likes the show a Brony.

Got a rough idea but I haven't met a "stereotypical" Brony and I don't really care too much about stereotypes anyway.

Yes, given the definition of Brony I've given above

Being a fan of the show and being a part of the fandom too.

In 2012 when I started watching the show.

Why did you decide to join this particular community?

The people are nice and I enjoy talking with them not only about MLP in general.

I consider those to be the same. I don't differentiate between a fan of the show and a Brony.

Positive, haven't experienced anything negative myself.

Not really, a little teasing maybe but nothing I would care about.

How does MLP relate to you on a personal level?

No idea what to answer really.

Maybe, nothing major though.

Probably but I don't know of any such case and I don't really care since it doesn't affect me personally.

No, I don't.

• Brohoof 1

Questions:

What gender do you identify as? Male.

When and how did you find out about MLP? I was nagged into watching by a woman I was seeing in late 2011.

Why do you like the show? It makes me happy.

Do you think MLP is a high quality show? Why or why not? Depends on what you consider high quality. :derp:

What about the show (how it’s written, characters. etc.) do you think makes it appealing to both children and adults? I feel they’ve added more references and jokes for the older fans as time has passed.

Do you think the show provides valuable morals and if so why (give some examples from the show)? And what demographic do those morals apply to? Being a good friend, a loyal companion, someone who can take or make a joke, a generous, honest, and a kind person, are excellent morals that apply to every age group. Getting old doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be any of those things. c:

What do you think is MLP's target audienceI don’t need to think, I know it’s families. It’s targeted so that parents can enjoy it with their kids, which is why adults without kids can also enjoy it. :muffins:

Which character do you most identify with and why? I would consider myself most like Rarity, I suppose. I’m generous, previously I was such to the point of near self-destruction.

Why do you think the creators decided to make the majority of the main characters adults, and do you think this is a good thing for a children's show? I don’t know that I’d say they’re adults. I’d peg the cast as late teens, early twenties… so young adults at best. It’s the right age for being silly and serious, all at once.

What is a "Brony" (In your opinion)? Any fan of the show, or the fandom. If you hate MLP, but love all the PMV’s, or fan ponies (such as Fluffle Puff), I’d say you’re a brony at heart.

What is a stereotypical "Brony"? The actual general brony, or the negative stereotypes created by the world? Based on my own experience, real bronies range in age from five to seventy-something, all types of genders and orientations, many have issues, many do not… Is my point coming across? There are people on this forum you would never know are bronies offline, myself included, unless you mention MLP. :derp:

As for the negative stereotypes… they are unimportant to me, or in my life.

Would you identify as a "Brony"? Why or why not? (If "yes" then continue on to the numbered questions, if "no" skip the numbered questions) Of course. I am, by my own definition, a brony.

1.     What makes you a "Brony"? The same thing that makes anyone else a brony. I love the show and/or the fandom.

2.     When did you first identify as a "Brony"? I hid it for a long time because of those negative stereotypes I didn’t go into detail about, but stopped after I saw the “Unexpected Fans” documentary.

3.     Why did you decide to join this particular cummunity? I was lurking, and noticed a lot of deep conversations, and a huge amount of respect and care among the members. I blame @ooBrony, since it was mostly his posts that swayed me at the time. :derp:

4.     Why do you identify as a "Brony" as opposed to just a normal MLP fan? I don’t consider those things to be separate.

5.     Has your experience in the community overall been positive or negative? Positive.

6.     Have you received any judgement, harassment, or ridicule for being a "Brony"? If so, what happened? Nothing as bad as some stories I’ve heard. The worst I’ve had to deal with was actually quite recent. My brothers little brother (not a typo) was dating a girl, and she was talking crap about bronies, but she got quiet and awkward when I mentioned I was one.

7.     How does MLP relate to you on a personal level? Does it need to? Their lives are nothing like mine, really. It just makes me happy, which is my reason for doing pretty much anything I do.

8.     Has the Brony community helped you in any way? I’m less of an angry person offline than I was before, I suppose.

9.     Has any part of the Brony community done anything you thought was wrong? I guess if they have, I haven’t noticed? I don’t really see people in the community do something wrong, and then decide “wow, bronies are mean.” I don’t hold the community responsible for the actions of its members. :U

10.   Do you have ANY interesting or emotional stories you wish to share on the topic? Derpy is bestpony. You can have your own opinion on that, since I can’t force you to be right. :derp:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Male, which i am biologicaly

I first found out about it when i was 13 and it was starting to become a large thing. It took me another 3 years, however, before i actually watched the show.  This came about via a week of Brony/pony related things happening in my life which sparked my interest into starting a 'social experiment' on the show, then came winter wrap up!

The animation is amazing, the songs sound like proper music that you would hear on the charts instead of rushed lyrics to fill two minutes like other shows and the stories remind me of the cartoons of the 90's, early 2000's which i have enjoyed since i was a kid.

Yes, this is due to the effects they put into it (e.g. shading, lens flairs, use of non-cartoon clips, etc). It is also shown in the songs and how well they are written/executed in the show and the voice actors they have all show how far the people behind it are willing to go to make the show the best it can be.

The morals of the episodes are a first: they are similar to those of the the adults childhood cartoons had and are different to the other cartoons of the modern day. 2nd, The humour: There are several comedic  affects that are used in the show, e.g. breaking the 4th wall, timing, etc, that both the adults and kids can find funny. 3rd, the references: these are a massive part to the success of the show on adults. There have been multiple references made to shows/movies/games that kids wont know of, and the same goes for references made towards the kids. Some of them aren't as obvious at first (big Lebowskie reference) and some are plain as day to see (Metal Gear solid and Game of Thrones references).

The morals of the show are valuable and are intended for everyone. Sure, some don't come off to well (Mysterious Mare-do-well) but then some bang it straight on the nail! An example of this would be the season 3, two-parter opening where twilight tries all through the episodes to solve the problems herself to improve her status with the princess, but realises that the only way to complete the task and save the empire was to let spike help, whether the princess saw her better or worse for doing so. This gives the moral that people will help if you allow them to, and that is a moral that both kids and adults have to learn to succeed in the real world. 

At the moment, it has moved to more teenage girls (aged 11-14) with the references and jokes made in the show not being know by the original target audience from 2010. However, the show is now starting to move more towards adults with the references and action scenes, but is forced to stay for young girls in order to sell toys!

Pinkie Pie: Energetic, likes sugar, completely random, always breaks the 4th wall, isn't afraid to be different, is prone to go a little crazy. She is in most ways me, but as a pink, female pony.

To show that adults can have these morals affect their lives positivity, so the kids aspire to be like them.

A fan of one of the multiple sections of the franchise My Little Pony, that is of either gender, that is outside of the intended target audience. 

A loner, paedophile who sits in his basement, getting sexual thrills off of ponies in sexual positions/clothing. They are usually surrounded by pony merchandise and are overweight and not loved by anyone.

Yes, this is because i like the show Friendship is Magic and i have interacted with other people who call themselves bronies, and non of them have been like the "stereotypes" portrayed by the media and internet.

1. What makes you a "Brony"? My passion for the show and contribution to the fandom via my energetic, helpful personality.
  2. When did you first identify as a "Brony"? November 2014, after i first watched Winter wrap-up!
  3. Why did you decide to join this particular community? Because it seemed like a group of nice people who wouldn't judge me for my past mistakes, i have yet to be proven wrong.
  4. Why do you identify as a "Brony" as opposed to just a normal MLP fan? Because i like to think i contribute to the fandom in some way, which involves me inside of it.
  5. Has your experience in the community overall been positive or negative? Posotive
  6. Have you received any judgement, harassment, or ridicule for being a "Brony"? If so, what happened? I have, but after my past experiences i just shrugged it off as people being afraid of change.
  7. How does MLP relate to you on a personal level? It shows what i could have done in the past to try and make more friends via its morals. It, as well as the fandom, help to cheer me up when i start feeling down.
  8. Has the Brony community helped you in any way? It has helped me to combat my lack of social interaction and has helped me to trust people again.
  9. Has any part of the Brony community done anything you thought was wrong? No, or at least i haven't seen them do anything any other fandom does.
  10. Do you have ANY interesting or emotional stories you wish to share on the topic? Since becoming a Brony, i have been harassed, mocked and even had a dagger put to my throat by people I've known most my life because i became one. However, i would go through that a million times a day if it meant that at the end of it i got to talk to the lovely people here and on other sites, because with out you i would still be the unsocial loner in the corner of class. For that i owe my life to the people of this community and i hope it lasts on the earth as long as i do.
Edited by Buzz
  • Brohoof 1

Questions:

Female

It was 2 years ago, I didn't know what to do and there was an episode of MLP on TV, so I watched it, and I loved it! Then I searched all the episodes on internet and in a short time I watched all the episodes.

Honestly, I don't really know. The story telling is good. I like the animation, the characters, well... everything! :muffins:  

Yes, I think it is, but I don't know how explain (I would say the same reasons than in the previous question)

Yes, because there are a lot of things that only adults can see (Like references...)

The shows gives morals like being a good person (Kind, generous, loyal...), being good with our friends... I think these morals apply to all demographics, both children and adults can learn to be a good friend or a kind person.

Initially I think it was the little girls, but now I think the older fans are target too.

I identify myself to Fluttershy and Twilight, because I am shy, passioned about animals, quiet and easily scared  :(  like Fluttershy, and I am lonely, I like studies and books like Twilight.

I think they made the characters adults to show to the children how they should be when they will be older, to make them take example on the ponies. So this is a good thing.

A brony is a fan of MLP older than 10 at least.

I don't really know stereotypes about bronies.

Yes, (Or rather as a pegasister, because I am a female) because I love MLP fim, I watched all the episodes, I read all the comics, I buy pony merch, and because I'm here!

1. What makes you a "Brony"? My passion for MLP, of course.
  2. When did you first identify as a "Brony"? When I discovered what a brony is.
  3. Why did you decide to join this particular cummunity? This is the first community I joined, I didn't really come just to be a part of the community but to talk with other bronies about MLP.
  4. Why do you identify as a "Brony" as opposed to just a normal MLP fan? Well, for me a Brony is a fan of MLP. 
  5. Has your experience in the community overall been positive or negative? Positive.
  6. Have you received any judgement, harassment, or ridicule for being a "Brony"? If so, what happened? No, people just say I like weird things xD
  7. How does MLP relate to you on a personal level? When I watch an episode I feel happier. I don't know what else I can answer.
  8. Has the Brony community helped you in any way? Not really, I'm just happy being in the community.
  9. Has any part of the Brony community done anything you thought was wrong? No.
  10. Do you have ANY interesting or emotional stories you wish to share on the topic? No.
  • Brohoof 1

Hi everyone!! I just want to give a huge THANK YOU to everyone who responded!! There is a lot of great content here that will shed light on what the MLP community is all about. I was super surprised at how many people responded and the quality of the responses. You guys are great! And if anyone else wants to reply feel free :)  :squee:

Thanks again guys!

• Brohoof 1

I was super surprised at how many people responded and the quality of the responses.

That pretty much sums up most people's reactions to bronies. We're willing to help others in return for a smile or a laugh.

I hope you documentary turns out Ok! Will you show us it when it's finished?

Female, which I am.

My friend introduced it to me.

The animation, the hilarious references and subtle humor.

I don't think it's very high-quality, no. Despite being very enjoyable, it's still a kid's show. The plots aren't phenomenal, though they're fun, the characters aren't phenomenal, though they're also fun, the animation is phenomenal. :)

I think the subtle humor makes it very appealing to adults, and I think a lot of people were initially attracted to the show through its animation. For younger children, it is a show about colorful magical ponies.

I think the morals are valuable, especially to younger people who can learn easily. The episode with Zecora and the newest with Discord and Tree Hugger have some of my favorite morals.

Originally, I firmly believe it was for the younger girls. But now I actually think it's more directed to the older male teens.

Rarity. I always try to be generous to my friends, and Rarity is easily the most sociable of her friends, the classiest. I often feel like I am the only one that understands how social situations work in my family, which can lead to difficulties.

I actually don't think of the mane 6 as adults, I think of them as 16 year old teenagers, translated to human years. I think children look up to teenagers, especially young girls with extremely romantic ideas about high-school, which is the age I imagine them to be.

A brony is someone above the age of 13 who likes My Little Pony, in my opinion.

To the world, someone with a beard and a bunch of children toys with a Rainbow Dash hat, constantly at the T.V, who finds unicorns sexually attractive.

To me, the kindest, most productive (arts-wise) fandom I have ever seen, that support each other a lot, that often have to face a lot of hardships or liking a T.V. show.

Yes, I would identify as a brony.

1. What makes you a "Brony"? I am someone that is not technically a child that enjoys the show My Little Pony.
  2. When did you first identify as a "Brony"? A couple months ago when I began obsessively searching up all My Little Pony fan videos I could find.
  3. Why did you decide to join this particular cummunity? I desperately wanted to join a forum for any fandom I loved. I hadn't roleplayed for years, and had very good memories from the last forum I was on. I looked up MLP forums and found this one.
  4. Why do you identify as a "Brony" as opposed to just a normal MLP fan? Why not? I feel like the term "brony" originally referred to what people now consider "normal MLP fans." Anyway, I'm proud to consider myself part of this amazing fandom.
  5. Has your experience in the community overall been positive or negative? Positive. I don't have many social media outlets, and I don't really talk with the overly ridiculous bronies that people most commonly associate the fandom with. I mean, I know there are bronies out there who clop to everything and objectify women and are just jerks, but I've never experienced them myself.
  6. Have you received any judgement, harassment, or ridicule for being a "Brony"? If so, what happened? I guess a little. My dad and friends sometimes crack a joke or two. They don't understand my liking of the show. But, they accept it. :)
  7. How does MLP relate to you on a personal level? Honestly? I just like watching the show. People that can connect with the characters must have a lot more fun with the show than I do, but I just like putting it on and watching an episode. For me, there's nothing too deep about it.
  8. Has the Brony community helped you in any way? Well, I've only been a brony for a couple months. :) But I've been pretty lonely lately, and coming on the forums has given me people to talk to. Also, I got inspired by the show to go back to drawing. Maybe one day I'll be good at it!
  9. Has any part of the Brony community done anything you thought was wrong?
  10. Do you have ANY interesting or emotional stories you wish to share on the topic?

You can use the forum to set this up as a survey.  This would mean the system would keep track of your results & everyone wouldn't have to keep rewriting your questions so you could tell which answer went with which question.

As to me, I'm a male Baby Boomer.  Started watching cartoons on TV with Loony Tunes cartoons (Warner Brothers) & Saturday morning cartoons back in the 1950s.  I liked them & never saw any reason to stop watching, so I didn't stop.

In the late 1980s, early 1990s the G1 & G2 ponies were on free TV about the time I got off work.  I would watch them while eating breakfast & then go to bed  (Even 1/2 asleep Glow Friends were about the frozen outer limits of what I can tolerate).  Missed the G3 ponies, saw MLP FIM on the internet & so I watched it with a niece & became a fan. 

I was a Trekie back in the 70s (Star Trek III, In Search of Profits killed that.  Sheldon on Big Bang Theory said Star Trek V was worse.  IDK how that is possible).  IMO, bronies are the same song, different verse.  I'm not a brony because I'm too old to get that excited about stuff anymore.

Even in an era which invented Cyber Punk (Ever see the movie Blade Runner?  The book is even grimmer) Star Trek was always popular because it showed "a future worth living in" (ICR who said that).  IMO, MLP is popular because of the same optimism & because it is well written & doesn't talk down to its fans.

• Brohoof 2