Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why wasn't Twilight a princess before she became an alicorn?

cider float

Prince Blueblood is a distant relative of Celestia. So by that sense Shining Armor should be a prince when married to Princess Cadence if we're going on the whole monarchy idea. And this also means Twilight should be a princess even before she became an alicorn. But why did she get the title after becoming an alicorn? She should of been a princess when her brother married Cadence.

Marrying into royalty doesn't automatically make you a prince or princess, even in our world. It's possible this is the case in Equestria, and it would seem that Princess might be an earned title, as well as (or instead of) hereditary. We just don't have info on that.

And besides, even if Shining Armor became a prince, that doesn't necessarily mean all his siblings get the title too.

I think princessness and alicornness go hoof-in-hoof in FiM. One means the other and vice-versa, at least that's all we have seen so far. Prince Blueblood could be a prince to another place, since we have not seen him again and there are so many different places in Equestria. He could be the prince of rudeness. :P

I don't think being related to someone that is married to royalty would be enough. At the time, Twilight just wasn't ready I don't think.

(edited)

Do any real world monarchies make someone a princess/prince just because their sibling married a member of the royal family? I wouldn't know, but I highly doubt it.

Edit: I mean, are the Duke of Edinburgh's siblings (does he have any?) princesses/princes of the UK? What about Kate Middleton?

Edited by Knight Dash

Do any real world monarchies make someone a princess/prince just because their sibling married a member of the royal family? I wouldn't know, but I highly doubt it.

Edit: I mean, are the Duke of Edinburgh's siblings (does he have any?) princesses/princes of the UK? What about Kate Middleton?

From my very brief research (aka google), no they don't. Only the spouse (and not always) gets the title.

I think princessness and alicornness go hoof-in-hoof in FiM. One means the other and vice-versa, at least that's all we have seen so far.

I disagree.  The Sisters were born alicorns, and were not appointed as princesses until approached by Starswirl.  Being an alicorn doesn't necessarily make one a princess/prince.  It's just that alicorns are so rare that all four in the world (that we know of) are princesses.  I believe that princess/prince is an appointed position in the FIM universe.  Because of that, I think it would be neat if the six met some alicorn hermit that lives in a cabin, completely removed from society.  Kind of a Tom Bombadil alicorn.

• Brohoof 1

Well, IRL you have what are called "morganatic marriage" where somebody marries into nobility (especially royalty) but doesn't have the rank for themselves or their children to inherit the title.

Applying that to EQ, Shining Armor probably has the courtesy title of "Prince" while he is married to Cadence, but his children will not be nobles, nor will he if Cadence dies.

The cartoons haven't gone into Cadence's background, but one of the official books covers Cadence's backstory.  She was born a Pegasus & became an Alicorn after defeating a witch.  This made her a Princess, like Twilight, but she didn't have a kingdom until the Crystal Empire returned & it was given to her.

(edited)

Well, IRL you have what are called "morganatic marriage" where somebody marries into nobility (especially royalty) but doesn't have the rank for themselves or their children to inherit the title.

Applying that to EQ, Shining Armor probably has the courtesy title of "Prince" while he is married to Cadence, but his children will not be nobles, nor will he if Cadence dies.

The cartoons haven't gone into Cadence's background, but one of the official books covers Cadence's backstory.  She was born a Pegasus & became an Alicorn after defeating a witch.  This made her a Princess, like Twilight, but she didn't have a kingdom until the Crystal Empire returned & it was given to her.

It said Princess Celestia adopted her as her "royal niece", though. So I assume her title title comes from that.

And thanks, manic! That's what I thought.

Edited by Knight Dash

I disagree.  The Sisters were born alicorns, and were not appointed as princesses until approached by Starswirl.  Being an alicorn doesn't necessarily make one a princess/prince.  It's just that alicorns are so rare that all four in the world (that we know of) are princesses.  I believe that princess/prince is an appointed position in the FIM universe.  Because of that, I think it would be neat if the six met some alicorn hermit that lives in a cabin, completely removed from society.  Kind of a Tom Bombadil alicorn.

I am going by what we have seen so far. Of course the sisters might be a special case but there is so much that we don't know about then at this point so it's hard to pinpoint reasonings. They may have been the first Alicorn's ever or maybe the first of their type. Currently, the only Alicorn's we see are all princesses and going by what you are saying, only two of them had a different reasoning (which we don't know much about at this point) and the rest could be different as was Cadence and Twilight.

And besides, even if Shining Armor became a prince, that doesn't necessarily mean all his siblings get the title too.

The show made it quite clear that he is a prince. As for Twilight, that is less clear. I suppose she could have been a princess if that system supported that but it obviously did not.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

No not quite. As said before arriving into royalty doesn't make siblings royal. (Its news to me that the siblings dont become nobles. I always assumed they did) What made Twily become a princess was a distinct ability to show worthiness. She on multiple occasions, saved equestria from destruction. Ie discord crysalis, and nightmare moon herself. (There's also tirak but she was already a princess at that point so I dont think it counts)This was all done by the help of her friends who stuck by her. However six princesses is kind of overpowered. So Celestia chose twily as a princess. After all, shes the one who figured out the sixth element and in this way, gave a rebirth to the elements of harmony. If not for that one instance, equestria would have fallen several times over. Therefore she was hoof chosen by the princess to lead the mane six amongst their journey. You also need to update this to a spoiler alert discussion.

Edited by Firedusk
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not sure how Celestia and Luna were crowned, but Twilight and Cadence ascended into alicornhood when they became princesses, so, I guess alicornhood could follow princesshood in some cases, but not always (ie Prince Blueblood). Marrying your way in the royal family would make just the marrying one a prince(ss), not their siblings =P

(edited)

We have a few canon ways to understand being a princess. Princess Amore unicorn and ruler of the crystal empire (distant relative of Cadance). Princess Platinum daughter of the unicorn king. Finally the Alicorn sisters who apparently were born alicorns and made princess at some later date. Finally Cadence and Twilight who were "reborn" as alicorns and crowned princess, but without any duties at first.

According to some dictionaries I've read a princess is normally considered just the daughter of a king (like a prince is a son of a king), but can be a ruler themselves; generally though when ruling they act under the direction of a king or emperor. Prior to Cadance getting the Crystsl Empire and Twilight the Friendship Kingdom they did act under Celestia's authority, so that holds true.

I agree with those that say having a royal sibling is not enough to be given a title. As the Princess of Friendship she out ranks her brother although I've read that Shining Armor is considered a co-leader with Cadance.

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 2

Lauren Faust originally intended for Blueblood to be a duke but Hasbro insisted that he be a prince. With that said Twilight was technically already royalty through marriage after her brother married Cadence though her "ascension" made it a tad more official. There does seem to be somewhat of a hereditary aspect to royalty in Equestria but it dosen't seem to hold nearly as much importance as it did in real life back when monarchies were much more common.

(edited)

Lauren Faust originally intended for Blueblood to be a duke but Hasbro insisted that he be a prince. With that said Twilight was technically already royalty through marriage after her brother married Cadence though her "ascension" made it a tad more official. There does seem to be somewhat of a hereditary aspect to royalty in Equestria but it dosen't seem to hold nearly as much importance as it did in real life back when monarchies were much more common.

Ironically they've introduced the idea of dukedoms with the Duke and Duchess of Maretonia and amazingly the "demographic" can handle it! Kids are smarter than we think. That's why I don't let Blueblood affect anything. He was simply a poorly named background character and prop for Rarity and nothing more.

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not sure how Celestia and Luna were crowned, but Twilight and Cadence ascended into alicornhood when they became princesses, so, I guess alicornhood could follow princesshood in some cases...

The Sisters were born alicorns, and were approached by Starswirl shortly after Equestria was founded.  After the earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi decided to cooperate and make peace, it was thought that Equestria should be ruled/led by ponies who represent all three races, which is why Starswirl asked the Sisters if they would accept the responsibility.  They did, and were crowned princesses.  It's all in their journal.  Also, I would argue that the order of events concerning Twi and Cadence were opposite of what you said.  They were crowned princesses upon transforming into alicorns, not the other way around.  At least, this was the case with Twi.  I'm not positive about Cadence.

Also, I would argue that the order of events concerning Twi and Cadence were opposite of what you said.  They were crowned princesses upon transforming into alicorns, not the other way around.

it felt like "Congrats, you're a princess, here's alicornhood" to me. Regardless of order, alicornhood and princesshood seem to be things that come together.