Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Yeah, I'm definately making a Visual Novel

SweetTea

And yes, by visual novel, I basically mean a date sim, with ponies. However, before I go on, I want to make one thing very clear. This will not be one of those date sims. The goal would be to get the main-character-oc-pony together with one of the mane six, but there will be no r34 at all. It would focus mainly on telling a good story, not on fulfilling people's pony-related fantasies. Not that there's anything wrong with you if you like that sort of thing, but it's simply not my cup of tea.

That said... I kind of want to do this. The internet lacks a good MLP related date sim, and as they say, if you can't find the book you want to read, you should write it. I've even begun work on the character sprites, starting with Apple Jack. ...I'm going in alphabetical order I suppose. XD;

Posted Image

These are her four basic poses, all of them based off of poses seen in the show. Each pose will have several facial expressions. And there might also be a version of her without her hat if the situation ever required it. ...Also, these are not vectors. I drew them in Manga Studio. Mainly because I don't know how to make vectors. :/

Well anyway, the reason I'm posting up this thing because I'm starting out on the visual novel making journey, and I realize that this project is too big for a single person to do. ...At least if I plan on ever finishing it before season 10.

As you can see, I am able to make character sprites. That job is mine. And I'd also like to be involved in the writing. But I need help. I need background artists for one.

And I need some people who can write, or at least come up with good ideas. I only have a vague idea of what the story will be like, and, of course, the story would split six ways depending on which pony the player romances.

I also wouldn't mind getting help from a programer, who knows how best to make a visual novel. If left to my own devices, I would likely make the whole thing in Novelty, which is a bit like Ren'py but for people who can't code to save their own life.

I'm not looking for voice actors at the moment, since I could make a visual novel without voiceovers fairly easily. But if the project grew big enough? Sure, why not.

Edited by SweetTea
  • Brohoof 6

Cool idea. I could have a go at writing... something.

Perhaps. I do need to figure out a lot. Mainly the main-character's backstory, and some sort of overarching plot. I do have a few vague ideas, but they're only ideas.

You should draw some inspiration from Saya N----

I mean. Ahem. Interesting idea, this. Novelty seems like an interesting engine, I might have to take a look at it, especially if it's a bit less complicated than Ren'Py and - dare I even say - ONScripter. D:

• Brohoof 2

You should draw some inspiration from Saya N----

I mean. Ahem. Interesting idea, this. Novelty seems like an interesting engine, I might have to take a look at it, especially if it's a bit less complicated than Ren'Py and - dare I even say - ONScripter. D:

Saya no Uta? ....Actually I think that's a rather interesting visual novel if you can get past the obvious. It's got me to feel sorry for an eldrich abomination, so they must have done something right. XD; ....Needless to say, I don't think this visual novel will be nearly as.... er.... grimdark seems like an understatement somehow.

...That aside, I do hear that Novelty is about the same in complexity as Ren'py, but it's set up in such a way that if you don't understand coding then you can still work with it. But more complex things require you to learn the code. ...I'm able to make things with it, but I have trouble even changing the look of the text boxes to something besides the one in the demos. ^^;

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

This sounds awesome, I might myself join in with some writing if you don't mind. :)

Of course I don't mind.

Thing is though, I'd need to discuss the overall plot with the people who want to write it. It's possible that we could have one person, for example, writing the Rainbow Dash plot, while someone else writes the Fluttershy plot. But we'd have to make sure that all the story continuity fits together, and that the main character pony acts like himself in all of the plots.

So basically... I need to gather all the writers and have a brainstorm session.

----------------

New update... Fluttershy's pose-sprites were made today. You may notice that three of them look suspiciously like they were copied from Applejack's. ...That's because they were. ^^; ...>8/ Don't judge me. If the show can do that with animations then I can do it with poses.

Posted Image

----

New update again. Derpy was made today. Prolly won't be a romance option, but she HAS to show up. I'd have to turn in my Brony Badge if she didn't.

Posted Image

Edited by SweetTea

I'd volunteer for writing, buuuut... seems that you've already got a ton on board, and only one offer for non-writing.

So, I'll offer myself as a coder for Novelty. I don't have any experience in coding, but I've looked through Ren'Py coding before and it doesn't seem complicated for me to do (maybe because I'm computer savvy, I dunno, or maybe just me). A quick skim of Novelty documentation looks even easier. I'll also offer to write if you need anyone else, but if I'm programming, then I'll just do proofreading or QC (quality control, to make sure every writer's work matches up with one another), or a gag mini Derpy Easter Egg route or something. Assuming that you'll get many other people who want to write as well; if you come up short, then I'll write some more.

This project looks really interesting. Were you planning on keeping it focused more on friendship than romance?

::edit:: And maybe, maybe, I could make music if I could get my friend's keyboard and learn how to work this danged Garageband. Don't count on me though, I'd prefer you try to get a more experienced brony musician, and maybe keep me to make a few minor tunes here and there. :)

Edited by Tteok

I'd volunteer for writing, buuuut... seems that you've already got a ton on board, and only one offer for non-writing.

So, I'll offer myself as a coder for Novelty. I don't have any experience in coding, but I've looked through Ren'Py coding before and it doesn't seem complicated for me to do (maybe because I'm computer savvy, I dunno, or maybe just me). A quick skim of Novelty documentation looks even easier. I'll also offer to write if you need anyone else, but if I'm programming, then I'll just do proofreading or QC (quality control, to make sure every writer's work matches up with one another), or a gag mini Derpy Easter Egg route or something. Assuming that you'll get many other people who want to write as well; if you come up short, then I'll write some more.

This project looks really interesting. Were you planning on keeping it focused more on friendship than romance?

::edit:: And maybe, maybe, I could make music if I could get my friend's keyboard and learn how to work this danged Garageband. Don't count on me though, I'd prefer you try to get a more experienced brony musician, and maybe keep me to make a few minor tunes here and there. :)

No please! By all means, be a writer if you'd like! A lot of people may have offered, but I don't know how many of them are serious yet. Time will tell I suppose. It's good to know that there's someone who can program out there though, and I'd need someone who has that kind of know-how. ^^

As for the friendship/romance/plot thing... Friendship is a reoccuring theme in Friendship is Magic, so that will certainly play a large role in the plot. I suppose, the way I see it, the relationship between the main-character-pony and whomever he ends up with will at least start off as friendship, and then, maybe halfway through, romantic feelings get involved. This of course depends on the character. ...I'd really like it to feel like, by the end of the story arc, these two ponies have made a very real connection.

...There's also the matter of figuring out main-character-pony's backstory. The visual novel would be seen through his eyes except in.... whatever it is that they call it when they have a picture instead of sprites. Let's call it a Kodac Moment. Basically you'd only see him then. ...I'm thinking he'd likely be an earth pony, just to keep things simple. ...And I'd rather him not be a random amnesiac, like about 90% of mediocre date sims are. XD;

....As for music, I hadn't even thought of that yet. If left to my own devices I'd likely scour the web for royalty free things. Incompetech's stuff is pretty good... even if it's used all the time everywhere. But I'd certainly love having custom music if that was at my disposal. ^^

--------

And now Pinkie Pie. ...May or may not make a straight-haired-depressed-pinkie later if ever the plot calls for that. I also think there'll prolly need to be more than these four sprites for Pinkie's Poses. She moves arround quite a lot after all.

Posted Image

Also, Celestia. She's only got one sprite right now because I don't forsee her showing up often enough to need more than one pose. I'll add more if I need more.

Posted Image

..May or may not make a straight-haired-depressed-pinkie later if ever the plot calls for that.

I don't think this is a good idea, we have seen over and over again that it was a one time event in the show, you can't "deflate" her hair on a bloody whim, every half-assing lazy fan of the show has done their straight hair pinkie scene thousand times over already, don't jump on that bandwagon, please.

I don't think this is a good idea, we have seen over and over again that it was a one time event in the show, you can't "deflate" her hair on a bloody whim, every half-assing lazy fan of the show has done their straight hair pinkie scene thousand times over already, don't jump on that bandwagon, please.

*shrug* o.o

Personally, I don't see the harm in using the flat-hair if the situation called for it. Such as... if her heart got broken...somehow. Granted, I think it would take a pretty rare and groundbreaking event to break Pinkie's heart. But if it DID happen, I would think using that deflating her hair would definately be called for. Cliche or not. ....And in any case, I'm only considdering the option. If I don't have to use it, I won't bother drawing it. Simple as that.

If you don't already have enough, I'd like to volunteer for writing as well, please.

VNs are one of my favourite genres, and I think a pony VN would be amazing, so this looks really exciting to me :lol:

If you don't already have enough, I'd like to volunteer for writing as well, please.

VNs are one of my favourite genres, and I think a pony VN would be amazing, so this looks really exciting to me :lol:

^^ By all means.

...By the way. To everyone who is thinking of volunteering themselves. Please get in touch with me. Send me PMs. Allow us to get to know eachother and stuff. ^^ ...Please don't just post here and dissapear off the face of the earth.

---------

Ideas about the possible color schemes for the main-character guy. These are only ideas. And I'm not really sure I like any of them just yet. :/ ...Any suggestions?

Posted Image

I like the black/yellow combination on the mane/tail. I think the grey works as well, or at least a light body colour :lol: Green or blue eyes might work for that scheme, just to contrast with the mane. Very nice drawings, by the way!

I can write, kinda... well, i can create stories.

I already have a few stories and characters in mind for novels i wish to write later on in life, so writing with a preset idea should be fairly easy for me. I can't do much when it comes to art though...

Just remember, you can always turn to me if you need help

(edited)

I can write, kinda... well, i can create stories.

I already have a few stories and characters in mind for novels i wish to write later on in life, so writing with a preset idea should be fairly easy for me. I can't do much when it comes to art though...

Just remember, you can always turn to me if you need help

We've got a lot of spots open for writing. I already recruited someone who wants to write Rarity's story-arc. And I'll be writing the introduction-chapter aswell as editing. If you're serious about helping with the writing, please get in contact with me. ^^

------------

Rainbow Dash is now done. And boy did her mane give me trouble. o_o;

Please ignore the fact that she looks overly happy in these pictures. For each of the poses there will be several facial expressions, and I always initially draw them in the generic happy expression. Oddly enough, I couldn't draw her facing the camera with a closed-mouth smile without her looking odd. I had to make her mouth open for her to look like herself. *shrug*

Posted Image

That means that only Rarity and Twilight are left in the Mane Six. Then I'll move on to the Cutie Mark Crusaders, possibly Luna, and... Discord. >83

Yes, Discord is in this game.

Edited by SweetTea

For the guy, I like the vanilla/caramel scheme and the caramel/chocolate scheme.

And if you don't mind, I think Ren'py would be a better choice, for me at least. Not sure if anyone else is programming yet, but if so I'd like to ask them their preference.

We've got a lot of spots open for writing. I already recruited someone who wants to write Rarity's story-arc. And I'll be writing the introduction-chapter aswell as editing. If you're serious about helping with the writing, please get in contact with me. ^^

I could help, if you wish.

I wrote a few chapters of a fanfic so far, and got quite positive comments on it, so I'm willing to help.

http://Massella42.deviantart.com/art/Fanfiction-Doctor-Whooves-ep-1-292018359?qo=0&catpath=gallery:massella42:36722594&order=0&offset=0

Please contact me if you decide so.

------------

Rainbow Dash is now done. And boy did her mane give me trouble. o_o;

Please ignore the fact that she looks overly happy in these pictures. For each of the poses there will be several facial expressions, and I always initially draw them in the generic happy expression. Oddly enough, I couldn't draw her facing the camera with a closed-mouth smile without her looking odd. I had to make her mouth open for her to look like herself. *shrug*

Posted Image

That means that only Rarity and Twilight are left in the Mane Six. Then I'll move on to the Cutie Mark Crusaders, possibly Luna, and... Discord. >83

Yes, Discord is in this game.

:D just :D omg just :D

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG OH MAH GOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH!!!

awesome! :D

Posted Image