Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media How do YOU define the greatest ________ ever?

cybershocker455

I've been thinking: how does a person personally define something is the greatest movie/show/book/song/whatever ever? I know these things are inherently subjective things and everyone is going to have a different opinion on it. 

Obviously everyone has their own personal tastes on what they exactly want but I don't know if quality is something that should be approached psychologically or sociologically because a part of me want to generate something worthwhile, you know. So, tell me bronies, how do you define "the greatest?"

• Brohoof 1

For me, it is generally a combination of the following:

• creative idea
  • coherent and interesting story
  • balance between the action and plot, and characterization and deep, emotional scenes.
  • likability and plausibility of the characters (e.g. not OP or Mary Sue-ish)
  • if applicable, incorporation humor without involving an excessive amount dumb or cliched humor

Personally, I don't put much thought into something like this mainly because I'm not too curious, and trying to figure out what the best or worst something of all time seems pointless. For example, how would one compare Toy Story to The Godfather?

Of course, there are things I enjoy more than others, but that's not quite saying that one thing is better than another.

By just simply not defining anything as the greatest ever.

Everything is subjective I can't even decide what's my favorite color atm so why would I chose like the greatest artist, singer, painter or something? I like a lot of those and none are the greatest, they're good in my opinion and might not be to others.

I go by how much of a lasting impression, emotional or otherwise, it makes on me.  By no means is it an exact science; it's founded in feeling something deeply.  An author, artist, story, piece of music, series, or film can change your life, if you let it.

I say let it.

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby

By just simply not defining anything as the greatest ever.

Everything is subjective I can't even decide what's my favorite color atm so why would I chose like the greatest artist, singer, painter or something? I like a lot of those and none are the greatest, they're good in my opinion and might not be to others.

I completely agree.

Everyone has different opinions, so it would be near impossible to determine an objective greatest movie/show/book/song/etc. Instead, people should choose a personal favorite.

• Brohoof 1

• 7 years later...

I simply don't define it at all because it changes so often for me. If you ask me what's the greatest or my favorite video game, and you did that each month, I would say something different almost every time you asked.

The “greatest of all” is the thing you keep coming back to, and that has made an impact in your life that changed who you are. For me, MLP has done that, but original Sonic did it more to me, and there is no guarantee something new can become the greatest thing ever. It is not a one thing, it is how life works.

If it accomplishs the task the best way. But for entertainment, nostalgia is such a big factor. The books I read as a teenager are probably not the best, but my memory of the experience is the best. I doubt I could recreate the feelings I had playing the NES, or reading fantasy novels in high school. I suppose those books or games could have been anything and I would feel the same way.

Hard to pin down specifics on this; lots of thing just click on a subconscious level. On the surface, the things I respond to are good writing, well-defined characters, originality, adept direction and editing (of film) and detail. If someone cares about what they’re creating, it shows, and that’s largely what I look for.