Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

searching Xenograft (Sci-Fi, Adventure) (OOC)

Arylett Charnoa

Sorry. I've been busy lately, and I'm only going to get busier. I know I'm just going to continue holding you guys up if I stay in the RP, so I'm going to have to leave the RP. It was stupid to think I could manage an advanced RP, with my time getting more and more consumed, and I want to put in my full effort, or none at all--and I don't think I can manage the first. Again, sorry to leave you with two members gone before the fun's even started, but like Ochre, I'm going to have to go.

@@Durandal and @@FortyTwo42

It seems you two are the only ones who are left, aside from me and Arylett. Unfortunately, since we have already lost 3 members, and it seems no one ever really has time for it anyways, we're going to have to close this roleplay.

The pace was moving way too slowly right from the start, and it seemed like all that was going on was everyone waiting for someone else to post. A roleplay cannot work like that, as it throws off the entire balance and makes it less than enjoyable. I was looking forward to seeing this story through, but it simply cannot happen at the rate things are going. So thanks for joining, but it's now over... before it even really got started.

• Brohoof 1

On the contrary, I think I'd be perfectly capable of continuing at a faster rate. My initial slowness was due to waiting for others to contribute and false assumptions about story progression. Now that we have less people to worry about I think we'll be capable of moving much faster.

I'm willing to continue playing, you and Arylett seem eager to see this through, and I'm sure FortyTwo was slowed by the same problems I had. It'd be relatively easy to accommodate for the lost players: they can simply be teleported elsewhere.

EDIT: Also I could have sworn I followed the RP, which explains why I didn't realize it had progressed further. I've since rectified this issue.

Edited by Durandal
  • Brohoof 2

We can give it a second chance, but I'd like to be sure that there will be enough content being posted to keep it going. I found it strange how even when I was working 50-60 hours a week at my job, I was still mostly just waiting for others to post. If everyone involved can possibly get two posts a week, then it would make things much better, for sure.

Still, I think four people is a pretty small amount, but at least it helps eliminate wait time. Hopefully that will be enough to keep things going smoothly. We will still keep slots open in case others want to join, but we will be active in making sure people post quick enough.

Also, thanks for speaking up about it. The fact that you are showing a some care towards the roleplay gives me more confidence that it can last longer. If everyone remains dedicated towards it, then we might just be able to get somewhere with this thing.

• Brohoof 2

I've been RPing since I was twelve, and every single RP I've seen has died due to inactivity. People lose interest, people get busy and stop posting (or even vanish), misunderstandings and courtesy lead to people sitting on their hands, et cetera et cetera. Invariably, the likelihood of an RP dying exponentially grows the more members there are.

And this goes hand in hand with peoples' expectations. Inactivity leads to loss of interest and impatience, which leads to more inactivity. People give up or lose interest because an RP is slow, increasing the likelihood that it'll slow down even further.

The best and longest-living RPs are that way because of a small and organized group lead by a motivated GM. The ad hoc nature of RPs makes this difficult to achieve, as most people are not well-connected enough to achieve this sort of organization.

But in the end giving up is the worst thing you can do when it comes to an RP.

Edited by Durandal

@@Durandal,

Yes, I have seen this happen too and I am quite aware of all of that. This is far from my first roleplay and it wasn't as though I didn't see this coming. I've been at it for over ten years and it always happens. We simply wanted to cut our losses, as we do not like to waste time on pursuits that we believe won't go anywhere. I'd rather end now rather than watch it spiral into a slow and awful death later.

The lack of interest from others and the slowness made us conclude that it would be best to fold and focus our energy on our other projects. But we will continue if it can be proven that this is worth not just our time, but everyone else's. 

So buckle down and get posting, people. Because that's all that really matters.

And I once again encourage anyone who is interested to apply. 

• Brohoof 2

I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. I really like how this RP has gone so far, and I encourage the few of us remaining to keep at it and let the story continue. I've only been RPing for as long as I've been on these forums, so I don't really have the experience to tell what exactly makes a good roleplay last, but I can certainly tell a lot of effort has gone into this one. I will definitely continue to support this RP as long at least one other person does!

Like Durandal mentioned, I feel the small number of players may actually increase this RP's longevity. Right now, only Lunaris has posted since I made my last post, and yet I feel I can reasonably make another post already if I wanted to. I'll probably wait a bit first to give others an opportunity to post though.

I definitely think we should be more strict with the activity monitoring. A week sounds like the absolute maximum anyone should wait, but if you've been waiting on a post from me for about two or three days, you should post here and tell me! I'll either reply with the RP post you're waiting for, or I'll reply explaining why it might take me a little longer to make it. I can't always promise I'll be able to post quickly within a few days because of uni, but I almost always come on the forums daily at least so I should be able to quickly let you know if I'm busy. If I'm not posting, it is almost surely because I'm getting swamped with uni work and not because I'm no longer interested.

Edit: Durandal posted in the RP while I was making this post. Chances are my next post is coming pretty soon!

Edited by FortyTwo42
  • Brohoof 1

So that we're all on the same page, what Metis sees are each person's emotions. When he makes connections to other people he's taking their emotions. I wanted to see if anyone would pick up on this, but he will be experimenting with this in the future. I'd be godmodding by having the others notice their fatigue or whatever else is canon for you guys, so I wanted to make that clear before we have any inconsistencies.

So that we're all on the same page, what Metis sees are each person's emotions. When he makes connections to other people he's taking their emotions. I wanted to see if anyone would pick up on this, but he will be experimenting with this in the future. I'd be godmodding by having the others notice their fatigue or whatever else is canon for you guys, so I wanted to make that clear before we have any inconsistencies.

That's basically the impression I got. It's common to portray changelings being able to see and eat all emotions, with love being far more powerful than the others. But Aero has no idea what a changeling is and doesn't know Metis is basically an emotion eater, so he doesn't know what the colours Metis sees could mean, especially since he can't see them himself.

However, it wasn't made very explicit, so I think it's a good thing you've come here to explain it in more depth. Getting things clear now will help prevent arguments coming up over the extent of his abilities later. I personally really like your idea of Metis seeing emotions as colours and then connecting to the colours when he's 'eating' it. I've never made a changeling character so I've never really tried coming up with my own version of how changeling abilities should work in depth, so I should hopefully find it pretty easy to use your version of their abilities for this RP since I don't have my own version to ignore.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Arylett, I am pretty sure I played in one of your RPs before. It was my first RP, and I played as Granite Wing. This one seems similar and just as interesting. I believe you are still taking applications, right?

Edit: I am thinking of a new character and will post a sheet after work tonight. I think Hearth would be a good fit for this RP. Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Edited by Golden Shield

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still around! I've mainly been waiting to see if anyone else would post before making my next one, since I like having three posts to respond to usually. Although despite only one post being made in the RP since my last post, I should be able to reply in the RP now if I need to, since Aero's mainly interacting with Artful at the moment.

It really has been a long time since anything's happened. So, @@Arylett Charnoa, @@Lunaris Adamantine, is this still going? I'm happy to pick this up again and continue actively posting if we agree to resume it. And I really hope we do resume it, since this has been one of my favourite RPs to be a part of.