Putting my work out there

Lyme Soundstick

(edited)

So, i like to sing, and for whatever reason i've been called good at it but i'm too worried to put anything on the internet, even though I love singing and I've wanted to do for years. Any tips on how to get over this?

Edited by Lyme Soundstick
  • Brohoof 1

@Lyme Soundstick, I've moved your topic from Other Art Help to Music. As your topic has to do with singing, it is best fit for the Music subsection from Creative Resources.

As for advice, I would say just put your singing on the Internet and ask for constructive criticism. Don't ever hesitate! Be sure to put your singing on websites like Youtube and Soundcloud. Also be very sure to join websites where you can get reviews on your work. The more reviews and advice you'll get, the more you'll get used to singing for the Internet. Not to mention that you'll of course get better as a singer.

• Brohoof 1

I'd recommend SoundCloud over Youtube.  Youtube comment sections often attract people who act like jerks simply because they can, and SoundCloud is actually based, specifically, around audio.  I'd think you're likelier to get worthwhile feedback on SoundCloud; possibly even from other SoundCloud vocalists.  People will probably either enjoy and fave your stuff on SoundCloud or not take much notice.  Neither is really bad.  Either way, you could still post it here or share it with friends.

I've posted my singing on SoundCloud.  Not because I think I can sing well (I tend to think the opposite), but because I generally create something...  Then share something.  It especially helps that the songs I wrote and sang all meant something to me, personally.  It doesn't necessarily matter what anyone else thinks; it won't change how I feel about them.

For starters, pick something that you're familiar and comfortable with, sing it, and then post it because you want to.  Because you like to sing.  Whether you're good or not is subjective.  Appreciate whatever compliments or encouragement you get, but don't let other people decide how you feel about singing.

• Brohoof 2

zbVhNRD.gif
"It uses the faculty of what you call imagination. But that does not mean making things up. It is a form of seeing." - from "The Amber Spyglass"

@Lyme Soundstick, I've moved your topic from Other Art Help to Music. As your topic has to do with singing, it is best fit for the Music subsection from Creative Resources.

As for advice, I would say just put your singing on the Internet and ask for constructive criticism. Don't ever hesitate! Be sure to put your singing on websites like Youtube and Soundcloud. Also be very sure to join websites where you can get reviews on your work. The more reviews and advice you'll get, the more you'll get used to singing for the Internet. Not to mention that you'll of course get better as a singer.

I'd recommend SoundCloud over Youtube.  Youtube comment sections often attract people who act like jerks simply because they can, and SoundCloud is actually based, specifically, around audio.  I'd think you're likelier to get worthwhile feedback on SoundCloud; possibly even from other SoundCloud vocalists.  People will probably either enjoy and fave your stuff on SoundCloud or not take much notice.  Neither is really bad.  Either way, you could still post it here or share it with friends.

I've posted my singing on SoundCloud.  Not because I think I can sing well (I tend to think the opposite), but because I generally create something...  Then share something.  It especially helps that the songs I wrote and sang all meant something to me, personally.  It doesn't necessarily matter what anyone else thinks; it won't change how I feel about them.

For starters, pick something that you're familiar and comfortable with, sing it, and then post it because you want to.  Because you like to sing.  Whether you're good or not is subjective.  Appreciate whatever compliments or encouragement you get, but don't let other people decide how you feel about singing.

Thank you both for advice, as soon as I can, hopefully I'll post something to soundcloud :)

• Brohoof 2

I'd recommend SoundCloud over Youtube. Youtube comment sections often attract people who act like jerks simply because they can, and SoundCloud is actually based, specifically, around audio. I'd think you're likelier to get worthwhile feedback on SoundCloud; possibly even from other SoundCloud vocalists. People will probably either enjoy and fave your stuff on SoundCloud or not take much notice. Neither is really bad. Either way, you could still post it here or share it with friends.

I've posted my singing on SoundCloud. Not because I think I can sing well (I tend to think the opposite), but because I generally create something... Then share something. It especially helps that the songs I wrote and sang all meant something to me, personally. It doesn't necessarily matter what anyone else thinks; it won't change how I feel about them.

For starters, pick something that you're familiar and comfortable with, sing it, and then post it because you want to. Because you like to sing. Whether you're good or not is subjective. Appreciate whatever compliments or encouragement you get, but don't let other people decide how you feel about singing.

I also recommend Soundcloud. It is made just for musicians and artists and people are way more supportive than YouTube. If you do get criticism, don't give up, just take their advice and jeep your head up.
  • Brohoof 2

Creator of MLP Ruined Vines and Recorder Sh*t

Equestria's Biggest Hip-Hop Nerd

Everyday is Leg Day!

Follow me on Twitter: @EarlBrony

Collab with some one on a cover or parody. *Ahem COUGH COUGH Ahem* That's the best way to showcase your vocals. The more projects you get under your belt, the higher your confidence will be. Trust me, being a starting vocalist myself, I understand the pain of getting over yourself. It's hard and it starts slow, but you'll being singing out loud in front of real people in no time without a care in the world. :)

Collab with some one on a cover or parody. *Ahem COUGH COUGH Ahem* That's the best way to showcase your vocals. The more projects you get under your belt, the higher your confidence will be. Trust me, being a starting vocalist myself, I understand the pain of getting over yourself. It's hard and it starts slow, but you'll being singing out loud in front of real people in no time without a care in the world. :)

Collabing sounds like it could be fun, but maybe once I get started. If you're up for it I could contact when I think i'm ready? [Only thing being I'm not a metal type of guy, I could give it a try though]

• Brohoof 1