Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open [RP] The Blackwater Quarry

Randimaxis

On 5/16/2020 at 4:33 PM, Randimaxis said:

But YOU, with such a strong back, would be more than able to heft a crate back to that wonderful quarry, wouldn't you?"

"Well, ah, I say, it be more in me legs than anythang else, Sir." Work on a farm often involved repetitive motions; especially so for one as seemingly simplistic as the stump farm he was raised on. The stumps were often collected by outside parties, outside of Hopper's sight, and most of the work was on gettign the stumps out of the ground by hoof. At that, as a colt he used to do a bit of practice of his own when his father didn't catch him. Hopper had a unique strength to him that would put him as more remarkable than most other ground based ponies. Sufficed to say, despite the look and sound of him... he could go fast when he wanted to.

Bashfully, he deflected the compliments, moreover as an attempt to show he wasn't trying to compete against the larger of the two stallions who seemed to have taken stance in front of him. Like his father, Clod Buster tended to. "Yup. I reckon I don' see no harm in a gift. If yah say so, then it is so, Sir. Reckon ah'll done do that thing thatcha done asked."

Internally, and albeit hopefully subtly externally by his somewhat darting eyes, Clod made a mental note to perhaps seek permission upon returning. For one, surely that was an implied part of Cragg's order that he didn't need to remind him of and secondly...  There was this sharp little trickle of worry in the back of his head dawning. Gifts hadn't been done in their household, at least not after his mother, Cloud Hopper from where he got his last name from, disappeared. You at least told ponies that you were givin' them one, if not what was in it.

If Clod had enough technical knowledge to know how to rig an explosive, he'd probably be fearing that possibility.

• Brohoof 1

@Loud Opinion

Oglevy had given the stallion his time; he hadn't interrupted, nor made any sort of motion from boredom.  This kid had paid strict attention, and was shrewdly eyeballing Gold as he contemplated for a moment, then he spoke confidently and seriously.

"Well... you know your stuff, so there's that at least.  And you can certainly talk the talk..."

He put a hoof to his chin in contemplation.  "The employees usually don't have much to do with the clients; our gems are shipped across all of Equestria, and Father meets most of our clients, muzzle-to-muzzle, to deal with them personally.  And as far as finances go, you'd better be on the ball, 'cause Mother knows her numbers.  REAL well.  And since SHE'S the Head Accountant here, you'd best find some way of putting that without insulting her work."

He then smirked.  "Oh, and for the record?  Offering your services for free seems really desperate - I'd offer 'em at half-price, or Mother won't respect you."

Seems the colt was being genuine... but how would he know for certain whether or not this kd was setting him up to fail or not?

@Illiad Easle - @Blitz Boom - @Flow

"You... really shouldn't jump at ponies like that, you or they could get hurt."

"Sorry Dax's marefriend. I was racing Dax, and then I saw you, and then my brain went *Hugs!*. Hehe.  Sorry I made you all dusty. I Pinkie Promise that I won't jump you that fast again, okay?  Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye."

"Judging by that, it seems you two know each other, a friend perhaps? If that's the case, then I'm alright with that... Ah yes, I kind of recognize you, it seems you were with Lady Silver in the manor the last time.  Oh yes, it's not important, but I feel that it'd be rude to not introduce myself, my name is Love Bloom, and I am one of the many maids who serve the Blackwater Manor.  At your service."

"Your last name's Bloom? Hehehehe, that's funny. Mine's Boom. Blitz Boom!  I don't remember seeing you Bloom, sorry. I must've missed it when Silver and I were in the biiiig house before, yessire. We went to see Dax-Dad with some fun explosives I made, and then we went to the blasting site and I broke the mountain. Dax-Dad were so impressed, he asked me to make more kaboomies for him, and now Silver's gonna be teaching me loads of new stuff too. Today's been the bestest day I can remember.  You work in the biiiig house then? Is it dirty and needs lots of cleaning? it looked like there were lots of places to go, but I didn't see that many ponies. I think? A lot to look at in the halls that's really distracting, right?"

"Hey there," Dax said as he made his way over, his look of concern writ large across his features as he moved close to Mystic, "you okay?  You seem shaken - what's wrong?"

@Widdershins

"Yup. I reckon I don' see no harm in a gift. If yah say so, then it is so, Sir. Reckon ah'll done do that thing thatcha done asked."

Cragg smiled beatifically.  "Excellent!  Wonderful!  Superb!  I'm glad you see things MY way, my dear sir!"

He made his way over to Pansy, who stood there listening as he whispered in her ear... then, she gave him a sideways look, seeming surprised at his apparent request.

"Sir?" she asked, "You're... y-you're SURE?"

"Of course, I am!  The Blackwaters would appreciate something of such a caliber, am I right?"  The stallion looked triumphant.

Pansy didn't respond to the rhetorical question, but gave Clod a glance as she stood there.  Cragg, on the other hoof, turned back to Clod and grinned.

"Oh, I am so very pleased that this is coming together as it is!  Once you deliver the crate, they'll find it - and they'll be speechless when they do, I'm quite certain of it!  I thank you humbly, from the very bottom of my heart, for doing this favor for me...  I was starting to fear I'd never find a volunteer who'd take it!  Now, just follow Pansy here, and she'll take you and get you all trussed up for the delivery - she knows what to do, and she knows where it is."

The unicorn stepped back.  "Now, f you'll pardon me, I believe I have a certain employee to ask a few questions to... come along, Kho."

The zebra bodyguard gave Clod an extra helping of glare before he turned around and followed the retreating form of Jasper Cragg. "Wonderful to meet you, Mister Hopper - I hope we meet again, sometime soon!"  Cragg called out as he walked away, the zebra right behind him.

Pansy sighed, looked at Clod, and flatly said, "follow me, sir..."

She began to walk toward the large-ish warehouse, paying little to no attention to all the activity around her as she went.

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis,

Gold had to be impressed by Oglevy's presence. Despite being half his size, Oglevy spoke with authority. It was only sensible given the Gold's current status, but a sensible child is still a rare find. Oglevy made solid points so readily that there was no question that he had the best intention for Gold. That and he was in a trusting mood.

There was another hurdle though. Gold could have trouble accepting advice at the best of times. Luckily, this was not the best of times so change can permeate though the cracks of unwellness. With all the typical barriers down, Gold could feel bring himself to reassess his approach.

"So, I can keep the part about company image, I'll just leave out clients as an example..." Gold trailed as he adjusted his pitch, "Less emphasis on criticism and more emphasis on improvement..."

"Alright, I think I'm ready!", Gold Dust exclaimed with newfound vigor, "Let's see Mrs. Blackwater!"

He then stopped with a realization: Sore mussels = work out = sweat.

Gold was about to mention needing a shower, but decided against it. "I feel like I'm forgetting something..." Gold trailed again and glanced at Oglevy. "Ah, just a quick question, do you know who's room you found me in? I suspect it isn't the guest room I was led to believe."

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis @Blitz Boom @Flow

Mystic forced a smile as Dax approached, "Oh, it's nothing to worry about. I just..." her smile faltered, while her mother hadn't been the most supportive of their relationship she had been clear on how it ought to proceed. Firstly it was only ever going to work with open honest communication. Telling about fears isn't showing weakness, but trust towards those you love. She sighed, her expression becoming a bit more genuine, "I didn't realize how much of a fear of heights I had, I never had much opportunity to be up high back in Deltrot, so I didn't realize that it would be an issue until I came up looking for you. I'm sorry if I caused you to worry, now that I know I can take steps to avoid it."

She would motion towards the maid Bloom, "I really have this mare to thank for helping me, I'd appreciate if you could put a good word through to your mother about her."

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis@Illiad Easle@Blitz Boom

On 5/21/2020 at 6:55 AM, Blitz Boom said:

Much as she had done with Luther, the bow were something that Blitz would see as her time to go in for the face hug. Or the neck, if she didn't make it in time. If that missed to, she'd go for the leg. The leg mostly worked. Though if that id fail too, she'd just start bouncing up and down whilst looking at the mare, and planning when to give her a big ol' hug later. A sneak attack maybe. Something with a smokebomb even, for the bestest sneak.

If Bloom had a soft spot, it would have to be for hugs, especially from children. She loved the feeling to the point, that she can't bring herself to do anything, but relish in the feeling. And this particular hug seemed to have a much more profound effect on the maid, bringing flashbacks of her earlier days of employment at the manor, where she was hugged by a a younger pony out of appriciation for a good service. And it was when she needed some comfort from the pressures of work, something that she was getting accustomed to at the time, and she cherished it greatly. It has been awhile since she had experienced a hug like that. Such things are one of the motivators for her to continue work as a maid, as she strives to see the smiles of those that she serves, which in particular will lead to things like hugs from children.

Though, Bloom thought that it was odd for this filly to hug her out of the blue. The two had just met, and she thought that, maybe this is the filly's way of greeting anyone. No matter, Bloom can't help but smile a bit with her eyes closed as filly hugged her.

"Your last name's Bloom? Hehehehe, that's funny. Mine's Boom. Blitz Boom!"

She'd let go as she said her own name, and spread her front hooves out wide as she tended to do, when mentioning her last name. She managed to keep her balance this time though, so that were some degree of progress, even if she wobbled a bit, and had to go down again quickly.

After introducing herself as Blitz Boom and letting go, Bloom then opened her eyes and pulled herself together, then replying while holding her neck "Is that so? It's a pleasure to make...your acquaintance."

"I don't remember seeing you Bloom, sorry. I must've missed it when Silver and I were in the biiiig house before, yessire. We went to see Dax-Dad with some fun explosives I made, and then we went to the blasting site and I broke the mountain. Dax-Dad were so impressed, he asked me to make more kaboomies for him, and now Silver's gonna be teaching me loads of new stuff too. Today's been the bestest day I can remember.

Bloom had expected such answer from Blitz. She knew that it would be hard, if not impossible, to remember the faces of maids, knowing that there is a large sum of them in the manor. When Blitz mentioned what she did earlier with Luther, Silver, and Daxter, she was amused to hear all about it. In response, Bloom said "I see, if Lady Silver took you in as a protege, and if Master Luther was impressed by your abilites, then I'm sure that they all sensed the great potential you have. It's also nice to see that Master Daxter warm up to you. As the protege of Lady Silver, I will treat you, with the upmost respect, Lady Blitz." 

You work in the biiiig house then? Is it dirty and needs lots of cleaning? it looked like there were lots of places to go, but I didn't see that many ponies. I think? A lot to look at in the halls that's really distracting, right?"

Bloom was more than happy to answer such question "Why yes, you can say it is a big house. We maids do keep the place looking clean, and up to the standards of the Blackwater name. I agree  that the manor is rather large, large enough for one to get lost in. I also agree that the number of guests that we serve can prove to be distracting, but we are trained to deal the matter, it's not a problem once you get the hang of it."

On 5/28/2020 at 11:00 AM, Randimaxis said:

"Hey there," Dax said as he made his way over, his look of concern writ large across his features as he moved close to Mystic, "you okay?  You seem shaken - what's wrong?"

17 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

She would motion towards the maid Bloom, "I really have this mare to thank for helping me, I'd appreciate if you could put a good word through to your mother about her." 

Bloom then glanced at Mystic, and Daxter after hearing the two. She seemed rather suprised at how casual Daxter was to Mystic "Interesting, do the two know each other?" She thought before going to Mytic's earlier statement "Though, It's my pleasure to help, It's one of the things I do as a maid"

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis @Flow @Illiad Easle

Uuuh, this mare was seven kinds of nice, even if she were talking a bit funny. Were this a maid thing? Maybe, but that was just another flavor layer of great about Bloom! Unusual things were always the best, and what she personally would gravitate towards, rather than the boooooring prospect of normal ponies. Who could be around those for long? Not her. It got way too dull, way too quickly, and they rarely liked the excitement of some explosives, a prank war, or even a little dumpster diving for materials. The weird ones usually were okay with at least one of those things, so that were a giant plus.

Pinkie were okay with all three, even if she had been clear that Blitz had to be careful. Which she were! She had started to use longer fuses, and actually ran out of the blasting area after Pinkie had asked it of her... Most of the time...

What? How could you truly feel the labor of your work, if you didn't at least get into the range where the dust blasted up from the explosive would smash you in the face like a wave? Wasn't like she were close enough to randomly catch fire.

...Anymore...

But those were fun thoughts for another time. Right now, Bloom were still talking to her, and it seemed like it was almost time for Blitz to be able to respond to her. Aaaaany second now. Just... A little bit... More...

On 5/29/2020 at 3:58 PM, Flow said:

"Why yes, you can say it is a big house. We maids do keep the place looking clean, and up to the standards of the Blackwater name. I agree  that the manor is rather large, large enough for one to get lost in. I also agree that the number of guests that we serve can prove to be distracting, but we are trained to deal the matter, it's not a problem once you get the hang of it."

Now!

"It's ginourmous! Way bigger than the houses back home in Ponyville, and bigger than most places I saw when I were sent to Canterlot. A lot of distracting things in there too. Like pictures, shiny stuff, and trash cans full of potential and fun times. Or crumbs. It's always a toss up, hehe."

Blitz would jump in place, remembering several times she had dived into a dumpster, and gotten anything from precious springs, to a faceful of half-rotten, mushy apple. It depended on what sorta dumpster she raided what she were more likely to find. Sometimes, she were lucky and the one behind the blacksmith were stashed up well, and she could rummage a bit around there after everypony else had fallen asleep. Sure he used a lock sometimes, but that weren't hard to get through, though for some reason, he still kept wandering around all paranoid, telling ponies that he had some serious bear problems at times. Hehe, silly him. Bears raided the dumpster behind the bakers, not his. She knew this since she had once stumbled over a well opened can there, with some big, bear paws imprinted into the ground. She wasn't afraid of the bear, but she rarely went over there regardless, as she kinda figured that meant it belonged to the animals. Since they left her metal can alone, it were only fair that she didn't take theirs, right?

Sometimes they could share though. A couple of raccoons and her had shared some cans now and again. Soon as the fluffy ones figured out she wasn't interested in the scraps they went in for, they really didn't have much of a problem with her. Okay, a bit at first, since she had tried to make them stop hissing at her by dropping firecrackers around, but that were just a bit of a rocky start, and they were fine now. Actually, she should probably leave like a jam sandwich or something for her favorite of them. A big ol' chonker she called Jammy, since he always went for those glasses before anything else. Silly thing couldn't get enough of them, and she had needed to help him get his head out of a few jars already, though she were still amazed he could get his big head in those things to begin with sometimes.

One of the friends she would be leaving behind in Ponyville when she went here, sadly. But it was okay. The visits were always infrequent, and like her friends at the orphanage in Canterlot - along with those who had gotten adopted, that the parents did not bar from seeing her - she could always go and visit. Just had to find the time to go on a trip, which she guessed she sorta had to speak with Silver about these days then, yes?

And speaking of Silver, Bloom had mentioned her too! Best address this.

"Silver is a real genius, and she says I'm gonna learn all sorta things from her now. So I'm gonna study real hard what she says, and make something that'll make her jaw drop to the floor! Like a... Uuuuh..."

She patted herself on the head, trying to think of something.

"...Robot making pancakes? I dunno, something great though."

Weird thought she got there. Doubly so since she weren't entirely sure what a robot were. Heh, must've been something she heard in Canterlot once that got stuck in her brain gears.

"Anyway anyway anyway! What sorta thing to do in the bi- Mansion? Cleaning stuff? Cooking? Laying traps to keep intruders out? Repainting? Flower arrangements? Foalsit Oglevy?"

She'd actually stop here this time, as she tried to think of other things a maid might do, which did cause her to - after a break - utter the phrase "Chase their pets?" even though she wasn't sure if they even had pets. *gasp* Maybe they had a cat?! She loved cats.

She'd get to Dax and Mystic eventually, but they looked like they were having a real private moment or something, so she left them alone for a bit. She didn't know much about dating but she were pretty sure that interrupting kissy time were bad, right? And they were getting closer, so that were bound to end in smooches. Not nice to her friend if she stopped that. No-sire.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 7:50 AM, Loud Opinion said:

"So, I can keep the part about company image, I'll just leave out clients as an example... less emphasis on criticism and more emphasis on improvement..."

The colt nodded.  "Improvement?  Mother's big on that; sell that point, and you'll do fine by her - and she's a sucker for flattery, so lay it on kinda thick about her work."

Alright, I think I'm ready!  Let's see Mrs. Blackwater!"

"Think so, eh?  Well, we'll see if you've got the right stuff - Mother never picks a loser, if you catch my drift."

He turned and flapped into the air, hovering at a slow walking pace as he led Gold along the many, many halls of the Blackwater Manor. 

Interestingly enough, when they went upstairs, the decor... changed.  Much of the tacky quality was now rare, while the decorations themselves were now far more impressive; vases from the Trojan era, masterwork paintings by classical artists, rich and subdued tapestries made of the finest linens, actual antique chairs and couches, and what Gold much suspected may have been a REAL full suit of Royal Lunar Guard's Armor.

It seemed as if the Blackwaters kept the junk downstairs to throw folks off; the real value wasn't for typical public view, apparently.  Something to take note of.

"I feel like I'm forgetting something... ah, just a quick question, do you know who's room you found me in? I suspect it isn't the guest room I was led to believe."

The colt smiled.

"Oh, no - that's the guest room, alright; let me guess... 'Redd' led you here?  Yeah, he might come off as kinda creepy, but he's okay - he's one of the ones we don't let the clients see!"

Oglevy gave a laugh at that... but the source of his laughter wasn't exactly clear.

Eventually, he was led to a pair of finely-paned glass doors, leading into a sunroom area, which in turn led to what appeared to be a broad balcony with a covered table and finely-wrought deck chairs.  There was a touch of conversation from outside, though Gold himself couldn't quite see anypony yet.  The colt turned and motioned into the sunroom.

"You're on your own from here on in; good luck... oh, and I wouldn't mention thread-counts - just some advice."

He gave Gold a mischevious wink, then zoomed off down the corridor like a typical child might.  What an interesting little guy - Gold might have to keep an eye on that one.

On 5/28/2020 at 3:20 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"I didn't realize how much of a fear of heights I had, I never had much opportunity to be up high back in Deltrot, so I didn't realize that it would be an issue until I came up looking for you. I'm sorry if I caused you to worry, now that I know I can take steps to avoid it."

Dax gasped.  "Oh my gosh - well, now that we know... I can show you a number of paths that circumvent the actual mountainside completely, so you won't have to even think about it - in fact, let's cut through Blackwater Ridge; we can head down a different path to get back home, and I can show you some more Blackwater history," he chuckled a little, "IF I'm not boring you to death with it, that is!"

On 5/28/2020 at 3:20 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"I really have this mare to thank for helping me, I'd appreciate if you could put a good word through to your mother about her."

Dax smiled broadly.  "Oh, I will - I always let Mother know when someone's doing good work, and Bloom here is one of the best!  Since she's been at the manor, a lot of our staff have really started enjoying their work; she's the one who spreads the good cheer!"

And the young stallion was also possibly one of Bloom's favorite Blackwaters; he was kind, honest, sweet and friendly - almost a polar opposite to his own father - and was also extremely well-read.  The number of things he could talk about was astounding, and Bloom had never found him to be dull.  Plus, Dax was a hugger.

On 5/29/2020 at 9:58 AM, Flow said:

"Interesting, do the two know each other?  Though, It's my pleasure to help, It's one of the things I do as a maid"

He turned to her with a bit of excitement on his muzzle.  "You remember last year, when I took that week-long trip to Troy?  Well, that's where we met!  She's..."

Ba-BUMP.

"... s-she's my..."

Ba-BUMP.

"... m-m-my..."

BA-BUMP.

"... m-my marefriend."

For some reason, saying it like that felt like it somehow solidified it within his own mind; he had a Special Someone.  It wasn't just wishful thinking, nor a fantasy from a novel, nor a case of him fooling himself - he had actually admitted it directly.  Whether or not Or-MYSTIC would accept it, he was almost electric with anticipation of her reaction.

His reaction wouldn't have been lost on Bloom for a moment; it was practically her namesake in action, right in front of her.

At any rate, the lot of them - Dax, Mystic, Blitz and Bloom all began to follow a different path that the young stallion pointed out to them; one that led towards the hallowed resting place of the Blackwaters...

And something more, as they would soon discover...

@Blitz Boom

Ziggy knew the sound of a scream when she heard one.

Not only that, it was close - as in, right here in Shed Row; it sounded as if it had come from the direction of Shed #6, #7 or #8 - and it had been a shriek of pure horror.

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

40 minutes ago, Randimaxis said:

"IF I'm not boring you to death with it, that is!"

Mystic blushed hotly, touched that Dax would make arrangements for her benefit, "y-You? Bore me? Never."

41 minutes ago, Randimaxis said:

"... m-my marefriend."

Time seemed to freeze for Mystic as she heard him say the words, she knew in her heart that he spoke truly, her blush redoubling. Further when she felt his anticipation she realized he was waiting for something. He's waiting for me!

Mystic shook herself from her love induced shock to immediately pull Dax into a full faced kiss before shifting it into a tight hug, revealing to Dax her surprising strength hidden by her disguise, she whispered in his ear, "I always hoped to hear you say that. And in public no less!"

49 minutes ago, Randimaxis said:

and it had been a shriek of pure horror

Unfortunately her enjoyment of the revelation was cut short by the bolt of horror that shot through the quarry. She shuddered as she let Dax go, "Something's happened. We should go."

• Brohoof 2

Panda Saxist

Clod Hopper silently followed after the mare in tow. Having been the sort of stallion so used to following behind others showing him it was second nature by now. His head unintentionally drifting off to one side, shyly and worried, he closed the distance a bit further to ask in a low, brassy tone of her as they approached what seemed to be their destination.

"...Miss? Uhm....

This here package.... it ain't gonna... do nothin', raght? I don' mean to say you workin for no Bad 'Un, but... yer boss just kinda seems like the sort to not act angry even if he really is angry. Just... things seem a bit trouble.

.... ya usually don't get given things fer any reason when ya show up at a place."

Seven hundred and twenty-five characters out of Twenty Minimum and i'm still somehow "under threshold required?" I don't even know what is even!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Bloom seemed lost while Blitz went about, jumping around the place. She didn't know where to start, as Blitz started talking about the manor, along with some random occurrences in her own adventures. Though she did mention about the colossal size of manor. She also did mention Silver for a brief time, and how she would build something that would impress her one day.

On 5/31/2020 at 8:40 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Anyway anyway anyway! What sorta thing to do in the bi- Mansion? Cleaning stuff? Cooking? Laying traps to keep intruders out? Repainting? Flower arrangements? Foalsit Oglevy?"

Bloom didn't know how to respond to all this, but in time she came up with a response "Err...We do all but the latter four....Foalsit Oglevy? So Master Dax has told you about him I see. Well, if you ask me, I think the young stallion is capable enough to take care of himself. I mean, he is a smart one. One might say that he is a chip off the old block that is his mother, the great Madam Vylia Blackwater, of whom he inherited her knowledge from. For such a young age, Sir Oglevy is truly a gifted one. Though, he does seem to have a problem regarding the matter of making friends, mostly because of his tendency to pull pranks on ponies who stay at the manor. But I think this is his way of yearning for attention, for he is passed over in favor of his older brother, Master Daxter Blackwater. Because of your age, I think you might be able to become a great friend of his...though, I am too worried about what he might do to you, but if things go the other way, I think you might be the key to changing the young gentlecolt's ways."

7 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

"Oh, I will - I always let Mother know when someone's doing good work, and Bloom here is one of the best!  Since she's been at the manor, a lot of our staff have really started enjoying their work; she's the one who spreads the good cheer!"

She overheard what Dax said when he mentioned her, and to hear the master's praises of her proved to be flattering for the maid "R-really? I do? This must be a mistake...really master...I only follow orders...but I guess it is an honor to hear your praises." She said as she approached the two, then bowing at his presence.

7 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

He turned to her with a bit of excitement on his muzzle.  "You remember last year, when I took that week-long trip to Troy?  Well, that's where we met!  She's..."

Ba-BUMP.

"... s-she's my..."

Ba-BUMP.

"... m-m-my..."

BA-BUMP.

"... m-my marefriend."

It seemed like the revelation had froze Bloom in place. For a while, she took the time to analyze what she just heard. Normally, she would have burst with joy at such revelation, but for the sake of preserving her work form, she had to tone down her excitement, so she replied "Cough cough....AHEM..I-Is that so? That trip to Troy?....It's an honor to be of service to a most special friend of the master, let alone his marefriend. I never thought that I'd see her come to the company of the Blackwaters. You are most welcome here Lady Mystic, it's truly an honor to meet you."

As the four made their way to an alternate path around the mountain, the sound of a piercing scream, rang in the distance ahead, startling Bloom, and probably the rest. "Oh no, should I go back to the manor? Or should I assist you all in checking out what that is?" She asked.

Edited by Flow
  • Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis,

"It's been fun kid," Gold said with a salute, "here's hoping we'll meet again." He then paused as he remembered something, "Say, I don't think we ever exchanged names. I'm Gold Dust, proud black sheep of the Gold family," Gold said theatrically, finishing off with a mock bow. 'What a delightful child,' Gold thought, 'So long as you have the confidence to get on his good side he's nothing but helpful'. Of course, he couldn't imagine a lot of ponies sticking through with him, but that just made it all the more special. Gold liked the idea of having friends that fit his personality like a glove. That being said, Gold swiftly dug himself out of the trap of self indulgence. He'd never have time to focus on his pitch if he kept his mind on himself all day. For the good of himself, he would have to forget about himself, and he quite liked helping himself...

This psychological Orborous could have gone on all day if not for the throb in Gold Dust's ring hoof breaking his train of thought.

In any case, it was quite fortuitous for Gold that they would stop at the sunroom where his condition could easily be explained through a long time spent waiting in the sun. Now all he had to worry about was the execution of his pitch and not catching whichever Blackwater he was speaking with at a bad time. Maybe if he was still trapped in his own self assessment it would have set in how high the stakes were, but as it was, his pitch was all that ran though his mind.

• Brohoof 2

On 6/15/2020 at 1:29 PM, Flow said:

"Err...We do all but the latter four....Foalsit Oglevy? So Master Dax has told you about him I see. Well, if you ask me, I think the young stallion is capable enough to take care of himself. I mean, he is a smart one. One might say that he is a chip off the old block that is his mother, the great Madam Vylia Blackwater, of whom he inherited her knowledge from. For such a young age, Sir Oglevy is truly a gifted one. Though, he does seem to have a problem regarding the matter of making friends, mostly because of his tendency to pull pranks on ponies who stay at the manor. But I think this is his way of yearning for attention, for he is passed over in favor of his older brother, Master Daxter Blackwater. Because of your age, I think you might be able to become a great friend of his...though, I am too worried about what he might do to you, but if things go the other way, I think you might be the key to changing the young gentlecolt's ways."

"I've gotten loads of warning words about Oglevy, but I'm not afraid of no bullies. If he don't wanna play nice, I'll prank him, and I'm real good at that. I could make like a... An uuuuh... Itching powder cannon! Yeah, I bet I could do that, and then make him all itchy, hehe. Gotta be easier to make a small cannon instead of a big one, right? Nothing dangerous though, duh. I'm not crazy."

The notion that she had made a cannon before, and din't mind making a smaller one just to apply itching powder to somepony, might well contradict that statement to the maid, but Blitz didn't know better. To her, it was all just fun and harmless games. Seriously, when nopony stood an above 3,5% chance of catching fire, it were essentially harmless in her mind. Unless it were a chance at a big fire, then she'd have top stop if she saw any kind of chance. Somepony getting big fire wounds weren't fun, just nasty. A bit of a singed mane though? Cost of science.

"If he's nice though, I'll be nice too. I'm only mean to bullies, because they deserve it. Maybe if he's smart, he'll see it's not making him friends to be mean, and we can be friends too? Not as much as with Dax, but probably fun friends anyway. Hehe, it'll be good. Not too many parents lets me hang around their foals for some reason."

Being smart did not mean you were all that well versed at self insight, and Blitz were rather oblivious to the fact that what she did, tended to scare parents, who were afraid that if their foals hung around her, they'd get seriously injured. Which were just silly. She made sure to tell others to stay far away from the dangerous stuff. It was just her who really liked being in the downwind and feel the gun-powdery smell waft through the air, as she were pushed back from the outskirts of the explosion blast range. Hehe, good times.

On 6/15/2020 at 8:10 AM, Randimaxis said:

Ba-BUMP.

"... s-she's my..."

Ba-BUMP.

"... m-m-my..."

BA-BUMP.

"... m-my marefriend."

"Well duh, of course she is. You're getting all red and blushy around her, Dax. And you keep looking like you're gonna make kissy faces. Like the Cakes, but without the yummy smell of fresh muffins."

Since she constantly left small gifts for Pinkie Pie, and spent some of the few bits she had earned here and there from others who wanted to buy some fireworks, Blitz had been around the bakery enough to see Mr. and Mrs. Cake acting a lot like Dax and Mystic were, just mostly less awkward. The lovey dovey looks and blushing stuff though? Totally, which were also why she had kept calling her his marefriend.

...Did he tell here that she were too, actually? She sorta forgot if that were also part of the reason. Oh well, not important, now that everypony knew it, right? Seemed like it were hard for some reason, but he had done it, so she should probably bounce over and give him a bit of a hug, then jump back so that his marefriend could go over and snuggle him to the ground, or whatever it were couples did. She hadn't really looked at those sorta things too much, nor thought about it. There were Way too much science to do to focus on things like that!

...SO she did just that. Bounced over, gave him a hug, and then jumped away again. Okay, she sorta went over and rubbed her head on Mystic's leg for a bit, kind of like a cat, before going back to the nice maid. Seemed like since her bestest friend were now admitting he had a marefriend, she should show niceness to Mystic too, right? Made total sense.

Also, she were literally right up Dax when Blitz went over to hug him, smooching him real good, so it were hard to miss her. Hehe, Dax must be getting all flustered and stuttery after this again. Or maybe he'd not suddenly get all uhm... What was the word they tried teaching her in school again... Sauce? No that wasn't it... Suave? Yeah, that was it. Maybe Dax was gonna be that thing. Sheheard that were something colts did when they were real good with fillies. Honestly she didn't care enough to look into it, and sorta just went on to finding a way to make her pencil more fun, with just her wits, and a few things in the nearby trash can. It had caught fire, so that were kinda fun, though the teachers had no idea how she had done it. Truth be told, she wasn't sure either. Sometimes she just sorta went on auto pilot, and didn't think too much on things until afterwards.

Anyway, with Dax now having a marefriend that everypony could hear him talk about, maybe she should try to do something nice for her one of these days, to show how happy she were that the mare were there to make her bestest friend happy? Perhaps she should make her a personalized fireworks thing some day? Oooooh, or combine Dax and her into one?

A light glimmered in her eyes as she just saw it in front of her, and got a bit of a manic look on her face as the idea started to swirl around and eventually cement in her mind. Soon as she got her stuff from the Everfree, she were gonna do this. Definitely.

• Brohoof 3

On 6/15/2020 at 3:01 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"I always hoped to hear you say that. And in public no less!"

Dax's blush may have been total, but the pure love that poured from his heart was proud of his feelings for her.  

On 6/15/2020 at 7:29 AM, Flow said:

"Cough cough....AHEM..I-Is that so? That trip to Troy?....It's an honor to be of service to a most special friend of the master, let alone his marefriend. I never thought that I'd see her come to the company of the Blackwaters. You are most welcome here Lady Mystic, it's truly an honor to meet you."

The last time Bloom had ever seen Dax smile so much was when Illiad Easle was at the quarry; now, he looked as though he might just smile his head off his shoulders.

On 6/22/2020 at 4:39 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Well duh, of course she is. You're getting all red and blushy around her, Dax. And you keep looking like you're gonna make kissy faces. Like the Cakes, but without the yummy smell of fresh muffins."

It's so obvious, everyone sees it... I guess that means it's really true.  I... I have a Special Somepony.

Dax didn't want the moment to go to waste, so he was about to lean in for a second, firmer kiss... when his ears cocked towards the quarry.

On 6/15/2020 at 3:01 AM, Illiad Easle said:

"Something's happened. We should go."

Dax's expression turned serious.  "I heard a scream; that's never good.  C'mon - maybe we can help!"

On 6/15/2020 at 7:29 AM, Flow said:

"Oh no, should I go back to the manor? Or should I assist you all in checking out what that is?"

"Yes, come with us - the more hooves we might have available, the better!"

The Blackwater set out at a gallop, headed up the pathway towards a section of rusted iron-spined fence, which he squeezed through a hole to get into.  Inside that hole was...

A graveyard.

Blackwater Ridge had stood on this same place for almost a thousand years, generations of Blackwaters interred within; this hallowed ground was the proud resting place of the most noble and notable members of the family line, even as far back as some of the stones had the family name 'Black' on them.  It felt quiet and somber here; to some, it would be unnerving, but to others, it was a peaceful retreat.

Dax charged through the cemetery, staying on the path and being careful not to disturb or walk on any of the graves there.  The path through to the gates was clear to see, and the quarry itself was on the other side of those gates and down the hill a ways.  Adding to the eerie surroundings, the sun was low in the sky, a signal that the workday was almost at an end.

If the rest followed through after Daxter, they would ALL feel a light chill from the area... not by wind or degrees, but along their spines.

... and it was Mystic who could feel that they were NOT alone, here...

On 6/15/2020 at 7:21 AM, Widdershins said:

"...Miss? Uhm....

This here package.... it ain't gonna... do nothin', raght? I don' mean to say you workin for no Bad 'Un, but... yer boss just kinda seems like the sort to not act angry even if he really is angry. Just... things seem a bit trouble.

.... ya usually don't get given things fer any reason when ya show up at a place."

Pansy sighed and adjusted her spectacles as they walked along.

"Mister Hopper, my boss has enough money to possibly hire others to do what you've been asked to... but he's-"

She looked around thoroughly, making certain she wouldn't be overheard, before continuing.

"... he's cheap.  That's why he's probably sending this package with you; because he knows he can save bits by sending it through a worker than a delivery service.  He's taking some advantage of you, but I'm fairly certain he means you no harm."

She then sighed again, "The Blackwaters?  That's... a different subject; you'll pardon me if I choose not to speak about it, I hope?"

They reached a corner shed, where Pansy unlocked it and entered, then opened the doorway and pointed to a very ordinary-looking crate.

"There - this is the crate.  I'll secure it for you... if you're still up for the trip, that is."

On 6/19/2020 at 12:14 PM, Loud Opinion said:

Maybe if he was still trapped in his own self assessment it would have set in how high the stakes were, but as it was, his pitch was all that ran though his mind.

A stallion came walking through the sunroom from the balcony, headed in Gold's direction.  He looked as a butler should; impeccable suit, spats, groomed well, and with an air about him that spoke of regality.  His bright red mane and tail - as well as a small mustache - were thoroughly brushed and cut, and he looked to be the very image of a proper servant.

He paused when he reached the doors, and gave Gold a once over before speaking.

"Good day, sir - it would be my assumption that you are Madam Blackwater's last appointment for the day?"  he asked, his voice calm and reserved.

• Brohoof 4

@Randimaxis

On 6/15/2020 at 8:10 AM, Randimaxis said:

Ziggy knew the sound of a scream when she heard one.

Not only that, it was close - as in, right here in Shed Row; it sounded as if it had come from the direction of Shed #6, #7 or #8 - and it had been a shriek of pure horror.

Ziggy lifted her head from her table, ears perked, as she had just gotten the worst kind of alarm clock here at the quarry: A scream. Yet this one hadn't sounded like it were just pain, like it usually were. Nono, this one had sounded properly horrified. As if they had run into something real nasty. Maybe something dangerous? *gasp* Or Venomous?!

She awakened fully from the little nap she had taken, after filing papers for the better part of the day, post meetup with Silver and the others. It had slowed her down, and made her want to just rest her eyes for a few minutes, but there weren't any time for that. Not when something might be out there, causing some real harm to somepony. She had to get going. Now!

Zooming over to grab her medicine bag, she'd be outside, door locked and on her way, in ten seconds flat, and there were no keeping her at low speeds. Nope, it were the peppermint striped lightning streak, going from her shed, and straight towards Shed #6. It seemed to be around that area, and if not there, she'd move on to #7, then #8, and so on and so forth, until she found something. Even if that would turn out to just be somepony who got scared by a spider.

...She really hoped it were that, but experience told her that if that ever happened, it were because said spider were venomous, and currently biting somepony. Such things could be insanely dangerous if it weren't handled quickly, and depending on the kind of spider, all she could really do in that situation, were treating the symptoms, and slowing the spread, until they could get to a proper hospital. Not a whole lot of those sorts of high end, dangerous spiders in this area, but every now and again, something did manage to sneak into the supplies, and in some rare instances, that turned out to be something really dangerous.

• Brohoof 2

Mystic shuddered as they entered the graveyard, she looked around before taking a seat somewhere where she could write, "Something isn't right here. It might be related to the scream we heard, but I'm not sure."

She'd pull out her cut blindfold, a scrap of paper and a small pencil. She put the blindfold on backwards from how she had worn it to draw the future for Vylia. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, then the covered eye started to glow as she looked around the graveyard. She would write down whatever she saw that wasn't ordinary.

When she had drawn for Vylia she was using foresight, but now reversed she was using hindsight, which instead of seeing the future saw the past, or more particularly those who had passed. It was a common method for zebra mediums to converse with the dead.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

On 6/23/2020 at 6:39 AM, Blitz Boom said:

"I've gotten loads of warning words about Oglevy, but I'm not afraid of no bullies. If he don't wanna play nice, I'll prank him, and I'm real good at that. I could make like a... An uuuuh... Itching powder cannon! Yeah, I bet I could do that, and then make him all itchy, hehe. Gotta be easier to make a small cannon instead of a big one, right? Nothing dangerous though, duh. I'm not crazy."

"If he's nice though, I'll be nice too. I'm only mean to bullies, because they deserve it. Maybe if he's smart, he'll see it's not making him friends to be mean, and we can be friends too? Not as much as with Dax, but probably fun friends anyway. Hehe, it'll be good. Not too many parents lets me hang around their foals for some reason."

Bloom nodded as she listened to Blitz "Well, I guess that's one way to put him in his place. Unlike him, it appears that Blitz plans, and takes great care in whatever thing she does, pranks included I guess," In time, she was beginning to enjoy the company of Blitz being around, and took note of that. "She's so full of energy, and she's easy to get along with. A cannon huh, well if you can build that, then I can see why Silver took you in as her protege, though even if it's hard to believe, I'll still take your word for it, that you're a genius. You brim with an energy that makes everypony smile, and you would always stand up for yourself in the face of bullying, I like that," She thought, while smiling as the four continued on their way.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:02 PM, Randimaxis said:

"Yes, come with us - the more hooves we might have available, the better!"

"As you wish, right behind you master," Bloom replied with a sense of loyalty in her tone of voice. In actuality, Bloom really wanted to go back to the manor, but because the scream they heard had piqued her curiosity, and because it's a direct order from a Blackwater, Bloom complied and followed along.

Edited by Flow
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

@Randimaxis

On 6/26/2020 at 9:02 PM, Randimaxis said:

They reached a corner shed, where Pansy unlocked it and entered, then opened the doorway and pointed to a very ordinary-looking crate.

"There - this is the crate.  I'll secure it for you... if you're still up for the trip, that is."

Having stayed silent as the mare said her piece, Clod Hopper slowly clopped his way into the shadows of the shed and approached the crate, leaning the whole of his head off to one side as he contemplated it and what she had said. He responded mostly to the empty air of the shed as he addressed her.

"Ya just.... well, ya seem a mite bit afraid of yer boss. Was wonderin if I should be too.

...now I reckon I don' know how much help I can be but... if I can help, Miss." He said pointing his blushing face in a direction Pansy couldn't directly see.

From where he stood, inches from the box, Hopper wordlessly expressed his willingness to carry the package as instructed.

Edited by Widdershins
  • Brohoof 2

Gasp! A scream? Maybe somepony needed help!

They wouldn't have been able to talk Blitz out of following even if they tried to, as she dashed along, keeping up with Dax for a good deal of the way, though slowing down some as they reached the graveyard, since she hadn't really seen a whole lot of it last time she were here. Kinda distracted and stuff, what with Dax-Dad, comforting Dax, and Silver almost using all of Blitz prepared firework displays. Almost though! She still had the one left, and Dax hadn't seen the first, so it would be okay. Long as she got to see him witness one of them for the first time, it didn't matter if the extra were gone. She could always make more, and next time, perhaps make it better, and include his marefriend. She were pretty, and compared to Dax, her colors were gonna be real simple to get into the fireworks, since there weren't all those stripes to consider. Those had taken her like, three weeks to figure out how to not get all mushed together.

There would be one other thing stopping her forward motion however. An unforseen object, that she would ram her snout into, and would cause her to stumble back on her rump. Mystic's leg, as she had halted to do her strange band around the eyes thing, and with Blitz having halted, it had given the mare time to get past her enough. Just good that the little filly hadn't managed to get a good momentum going when she hit Mystic this time, or she might have accidentally swept the hooves away under her, and been made into a belly pillow. Sure she didn't look heavy, but come on: She was a scientist, not a chicken egg!

"Hey, what're you doing? Is it a psychic thing? *gasp* Are you looking for Ghosts?!"

Nopony should be as enthusiastic and happy sounding when saying that, as Blitz just did there. Ghosts were not to be trifled with normally, and even some of the more well known ponies, that were known to deal with specters - like the Macabre clan - told others to not approach, and to call upon a professional if they ran into one. Specters were unpredictable, and could yes, just be a scared little thing, hiding from sight. Or it could be a crazed poltergeist, lashing out at every creature within their area. And those were but two examples. There were many, many ways spirits could impact things, and countless variations, to a point where several tomes were filled with varied descriptions. Hence, one should not be happy about finding and approaching a ghost.

Blitz however, smart as she were, were still a filly, and as such, didn't think on the dangers as much as the potential adventure in it. if she could meet a spirit, she certainly would, and more than likely unsuccessfully try to hug the specter. Y'know, if Ziggy didn't beat her to the punch first, which weren't impossible, as her automatic response tended to include hugging too.

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis,

Gold was stalling. It was a nagging feeling in the back of his mind. A subtle rupture in Gold's ego. Unnatural and, by extent, unpredictable. The ring, once again, made itself known. This wasn't the first time though, so he knew what to do. It might be tempting to change coarse in an attempt to stumble into a behavior that didn't doubt itself, but Gold knows the nature and origin of this onset. Double down and don't look back. Even if it only lasts long enough to get a good first impression. 'Well done Gold, by waiting you've tempered your new ideas with an air of prudence. Going in early would set the wrong expectation. Waiting to be called for is exactly the correct move,' Gold tried to rationalize. It was reverse engineering, but if he allowed himself to recognize that then their would be no recovery. He dared not imagine the humiliation of standing in front of the Blackwater and finding himself at a loss for words. She would jump down his throat at the hesitation and who knows what would happen then. No, that thing that he certainly didn't just imagine would be a disaster.

He caught his heightened breathing and settled. That was usually when the ring would settle down, its toll having been payed. Gold would have laughed if he didn't know it was going to happen many more times in the future. Again, he would have also cursed the stallion responsible if there wasn't a pony waiting for him to respond.

He settled for a simple nod as if he had been expecting the other pony to say something else. Better to make him feel awkward than to let it land on himself at such a critical time.

He let the stallion lead the way and introduce him to the Blackwater.

• Brohoof 1

@Blitz Boom - @Illiad Easle - @Flow

The four entities - Dax, Blitz, Mystic and Bloom - made their way through the graveyard, silent as mice.  Yet, all the same, a light fog was blanketing the ground, with Blitz's head being the only thing above the mist.  There was a foreboding feeling that filled the area, making things seem and feel a bit... off...

On 6/26/2020 at 4:42 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Something isn't right here. It might be related to the scream we heard, but I'm not sure."

The zebra began her ritual and started to draw...

On 6/30/2020 at 4:37 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Hey, what're you doing? Is it a psychic thing? *gasp* Are you looking for Ghosts?!"

From what she was drawing, it seemed as if that's exactly what she was doing.

The lines on the page were angry ones; in the drawing, two stallions were snout to snout with each other, and you could almost see the electricity sparking between their eyes as they glared at each other.

The one on the left was thick and healthy-looking.  He had a short and neat mane, and a small moustache that gave him an almost seedy appearance, and the look on his muzzle was one of seething anger and loathing - openly a look of death at his opponent.  In the background behind him was what looked to be The Blackwater Vault itself, though mostly in faded detail.

The other was thin but muscular, with a swept-back mane and a nobility about him that spoke volumes of his character.  He had a short goatee with a metal bead tied into the end of it, and his return gaze spoke of a cold, staunch resistance, tightly-controlled fury and solemn confidence.  Behind him was what looked like a short, squat building with a metal smokestack that sat in the shadow of a larger one which was off-page.

The two stallions looked MORE than ready to face off against each other... and subtle shadows behind them both signified that they might not be alone in their personal war.

As she drew and Blitz watched, Dax turned to face Bloom.  "Please, would you stay here with them?  Mystic might be right, but I need to check the quarry too, in case someone's hurt or in trouble.  Is that okay with you?"

He waited for her approval before he set out; Dax never gave orders - he always asked kindly; it was a part of the reason the staff all knew who he was... and liked him, in most cases.

On 6/29/2020 at 6:36 AM, Widdershins said:

"Ya just.... well, ya seem a mite bit afraid of yer boss. Was wonderin if I should be too.

...now I reckon I don' know how much help I can be but... if I can help, Miss."

Pansy sighed deeply, then turned to Clod and looked him squarely in the eyes.

"Sir... Mister Cragg owns a number of tenement buildings and housing centers; one of them holds my grandmare, who is quite sick and needs my help to afford treatment... not to mention how he owns the apartment my brother and his family live in, as well as being the stallion responsible for paying off all the debts I had gathered in college."

She closed her eyes.  "I may not care much for him... but I OWE him, and he never misses a chance to let me know it, either."

Looking up, she returned her spectacles to her muzzle and began to gather the straps she'd need to secure the crate.  

"In fact, all of Mister Cragg's employees and associates have some reason they owe him for something - he uses that to exploit us somewhat, yes... but the pay is fair.  Not good, like at another quarry I know of... but fair.  So, he keeps me underhoof, and I keep things running smoothly for him.  It's... an arrangement of convenience..."

She then looked at Hopper for a second, then sighed and smiled.  "Or you could say, we owe him big time, so he makes us work for him..  Is that better?"

Pansy wasn't belittling him; on the contrary, she preferred simple, honest ponies - and was just making sure she wasn't talking over his head.  She knew Clod was being duped into something... but she couldn't help but like the earnest stallion; he was someone she could trust not to use her. 

Unlike her boss...

On 6/30/2020 at 9:13 PM, Loud Opinion said:

He let the stallion lead the way and introduce him to the Blackwater.

The butler turned and made his way through the Sun Room and out to the balcony.  It was a tastefully carved stone and marble decor, with four chairs around a glass table with a parasol in the center, shading it nicely for anyone seated beneath, even at this time of day.  There were also a number of wooden chaise loungers that were lined up facing out from the stone guardrail, complete with little tables next to each one.

Seated at the table was a minotaur who was taking notes; he was too big to see around, and the butler stopped short of going around him.  It was probably safe to assume the one speaking was seated in one of the chaises, directly in front of the massive bulk sitting between them.

"And Boris?  Honestly, your columns are getting sloppy, dearie - they may be accurate, but they're an eyesore; I much rather prefer them neat and pretty, so I can tell more at a single glance.  Sloppy columns just aren't done here, you know."  The voice was soft and melodious, yet there was an upper-class lilt to it; this must have been who he was here to see.

"Yes, ma'am," the minotaur (Boris?) replied heavily, as if this was just another in a long line of such complaints from his boss.

"Good, now off you go - I expect those columns straight before noon tomorrow."

The bull's head jerked up to stare at the unseeable mare in front of him.  "But... that's three weeks of work, ma'am!  And by NOON!?"

The voice spoke again... however, it now took on the quality of a tigress' purr... right before a pounce.  "Well, if you're not up to the task, dearie... I can always find someone who IS.  Understood?"

The heavy sigh that escaped the bull said that he understood quite clearly.  "I'm on it.  Ma'am."

He stood up, the chair giving a squeak of relief from the unburdening of it's occupant as he turned and lumbered past Gold and the butler without so much as a single word to either of them, his muzzle being a mask of weary resignation.

"Oh!  And it seems as if I'm quite popular today... good."

And there she was...

442458194_VyliasWingspanbySweetPen.thumb.png.b50d8c79fe788bfdfc35ca7ba7850494.png

... Vylia Blackwater.

Her wingspan was impressive as she was currently stretching herself on the chaise she was lying back on, making a slight display of her rather well-toned and shapely figure.  The large golden bow on her head shimmered a bit in the setting sunlight, as well as her smooth and styled mane.  Her eyes were especially piercing, and although her general appearance was beautiful, she acted aloof and at ease... but those eyes felt as though Gold was looking back at, not the wealthy wife to a gem baron... but a dragon who saw him as a potential precious stone in her horde.

"And which contemporary are you, sir?  Have you come to speak to me of social climes, regale me with gifts and praise, or possibly make a show of proving your worth as an intern?"

Her manner and voice were somewhere between a kitten's purr... and a snake's hiss.  Gold would have to be EXTREMELY careful with this one; she was shrewd.

• Brohoof 1

On 6/30/2020 at 2:37 PM, Blitz Boom said:

*gasp* Are you looking for Ghosts?!

Mystic chuckled as she drew, "Maybe, I suppose we'll see what turns up."

Mystic hoped she'd be done with the drawing before Dax left, but knew how much he valued the quarry and it's workers so wouldn't ask him to stay.

Once she was done with the drawing she puzzled over it for a bit after removing the blindfold. "If I did it right, and understand it correctly. Something's happened to reawaken some old rivalry. If it's a ghost, then the ghost is not at peace, either because of the effects of this literal confrontation, or their confrontation is represented by this drawing." She sighed as she stood up, if Dax were still near she'd pass the drawing to him, otherwise she'd pass it to Bloom, "Does anything in this look familiar to you?"

• Brohoof 1

Bloom spent some time glancing around her surroundings, making sure that everypony was here, but then noticed that Mystic was missing again "Oh please, not again!" She thought before turning back just to spot her at a bench, together with Blitz "Well, That's a relief, thank goodness." As soon as she appoached the two, she heard their conversation

On 7/1/2020 at 6:37 AM, Blitz Boom said:

5 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

"Maybe, I suppose we'll see what turns up."

When Bloom got closer, she observed Mystic doing a ritual that seemed a bit familiar to her. "Oh right, it's usually Zebras that communicate with the spirits. Never thought I'd see such thing again ever since one such zebra came to Canterlot to exhibit such thing. Though, I can't really remember much, since that was so long ago, but I thought that was fascinating. Enough of that, I need to be there for them."

After arriving, she was about to say something, but instead, looked at what was being drawn

17 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

From what she was drawing, it seemed as if that's exactly what she was doing.

The lines on the page were angry ones; in the drawing, two stallions were snout to snout with each other, and you could almost see the electricity sparking between their eyes as they glared at each other.

The one on the left was thick and healthy-looking.  He had a short and neat mane, and a small moustache that gave him an almost seedy appearance, and the look on his muzzle was one of seething anger and loathing - openly a look of death at his opponent.  In the background behind him was what looked to be The Blackwater Vault itself, though mostly in faded detail.

The other was thin but muscular, with a swept-back mane and a nobility about him that spoke volumes of his character.  He had a short goatee with a metal bead tied into the end of it, and his return gaze spoke of a cold, staunch resistance, tightly-controlled fury and solemn confidence.  Behind him was what looked like a short, squat building with a metal smokestack that sat in the shadow of a larger one which was off-page.

The two stallions looked MORE than ready to face off against each other... and subtle shadows behind them both signified that they might not be alone in their personal war.

"Oh my.." She thought, before trying to figure out if this was related to what just happened now "Hmm, that shows that there might be a riot going on, could that be the source of the scream we just heard? Celestia forbid that to be it, we cannot allow such thing to spill over to the premises, for it will have such catastrophic consequences."

17 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

As she drew and Blitz watched, Dax turned to face Bloom.  "Please, would you stay here with them?  Mystic might be right, but I need to check the quarry too, in case someone's hurt or in trouble.  Is that okay with you?"

She then turned to Dax, then nodded before she replied "Yes master, I kind of have a bad feeling about this. I'll stay here to keep watch, you may leave when ready."

• Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

A county boy had perhaps a slightly, if but significantly, altered view of responsibilities. Earth ponies, for what Clod looked for all the world to be, did have a reputation for dirt-clear objectives and opinions. That is to say, unavoidably obvious. To any pony that didn't have a farm, dirt wasn't much to be considered unless you led a very, excessively, boringly minute niche of a farm like the Buster-Hopper family Stump farm was. Dirt was an important faucet to raising a good stump-tree (yes, they never grew taller than a stump, but they did produce some rather specific wood types needing for certain things like quality woodcraft or spell reagents.) to the point where it was second nature to Hopper to likely regard soil quality as much as any other farmpony would regard their apple crops and as such, he wouldn't go that much into detail about dirt unless asked. 

Clod never really held eye contact for long with the mare. Well enough perhaps, but noticeable enough that he might be out of practice in socializing. As such, he offered an analogy to her. One that might have meant a bit more literal to his own past than hers.

"Ah owe the Blackwaters too." He patiently and quietly nodded in agreement with her. 

"It's like the Roller Beetle grabbin' on ta his dirt lump with all his pincers. Ya gotta work with 'em." 

Due to the sincerity of his voice, it would seem the stallion didn't intend to imply any disrespect in what, to others, would have sounded more like belittling her employer by the comparison to a small insect more well known for stubbornly scrabbling for the waste left behind by others. Outside of that, it was his taciturn way of agreeing with her hardships, acknowledging and reiterating his will to do what he could, all of which tended to be implied in the shorthand speech of country talk. 

Clod Hopper nodded and stepped up to be saddled and begin his way back to the Blackwater estates the way he had come.

• Brohoof 1

On 7/2/2020 at 9:29 AM, Randimaxis said:

Blitz stood transfixed, looking at the drawings almost coming to life in front of her. She had no idea Why there were drawing going on at all, or what this represented, but it sure were well done. The details were stunning, down to her almost being able to see angry veins on the forehead of the ponies this were focused around. If she could draw as well as this, her schematics would be amazing, but sadly she weren't this artistic. Nor as random, in her own opinion. Not even she would start drawing in the middle of a graveyard.

...Okay, if somepony asked, and they had some good crayons and snacks, she'd be tempted, but not just this randomly at least. Then again, since she didn't draw as well, maybe that were why she wouldn't, whilst one who were really amazing at it, like Mystic were, would? Sorta like Blitz would start to see if she could make something explosive out of things she found in trash cans, if she were bored somewhere. Which she often could, which instituted a strict rule about emptying every single one of them, near the small space the hospital in Ponyville had, where she rested, in case she were brought in after collapsing of exhaustion somewhere. They had learned their lesson after the first time, though neither they, nor Blitz, were really sure how she had made something out of what she had found. She had kinda been running on autopilot, and didn't think too much about it at the time.

Anyway, getting back to the drawings, it seemed like it were almost getting done, which meant that she could say something now, right? It shouldn't break her concentration too bad. Hopefully.

"You're really good at drawing. Lots of pretty details in here, but a lot of angry faces. Why are they angry? Why not make them smile?"

On 7/2/2020 at 8:56 PM, Illiad Easle said:

Once she was done with the drawing she puzzled over it for a bit after removing the blindfold. "If I did it right, and understand it correctly. Something's happened to reawaken some old rivalry. If it's a ghost, then the ghost is not at peace, either because of the effects of this literal confrontation, or their confrontation is represented by this drawing." She sighed as she stood up, if Dax were still near she'd pass the drawing to him, otherwise she'd pass it to Bloom, "Does anything in this look familiar to you?"

"Ooooh, it's a spooky, psychic drawing? *gasp* Awesome! No wait, not awesome. Not if there's fighting ghosts. I dunno what sorta explosives to use on ghosts. Maybe fireworks to calm them down? Everypony loves fireworks."

She definitely wanted to try to make something that worked on them, somehow, but this didn't seem the time and place to test this. Right? Maybe? Depended on how things went, and if it were bad ghosts, or good ghosts. Drawings said bad ones. Or at least one of them were bad, like a hero and a villain, fighting it out. Like in the books.

Blitz were focused on things going on here, and wanted to stay and help/see what went on with the spooooooky ghost stuff, so Dax would be fine taking off, without her following him. He were going to the quarry, which were fine and all, but... The ghosts seemed to be around here somewhere, and that sounded like a much more fun adventure.

• Brohoof 2

On 7/2/2020 at 2:56 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"If I did it right, and understand it correctly. Something's happened to reawaken some old rivalry. If it's a ghost, then the ghost is not at peace, either because of the effects of this literal confrontation, or their confrontation is represented by this drawing."

On 7/8/2020 at 5:02 PM, Blitz Boom said:

"Ooooh, it's a spooky, psychic drawing? *gasp* Awesome! No wait, not awesome. Not if there's fighting ghosts. I dunno what sorta explosives to use on ghosts. Maybe fireworks to calm them down? Everypony loves fireworks."

On 7/2/2020 at 9:07 PM, Flow said:

"Hmm, that shows that there might be a riot going on, could that be the source of the scream we just heard? Celestia forbid that to be it, we cannot allow such thing to spill over to the premises, for it will have such catastrophic consequences."

On 7/2/2020 at 2:56 PM, Illiad Easle said:

"Does anything in this look familiar to you?"

Now that Bloom really looked at it... she recognized those faces from somewhere.  Where could she have possibly-

Then it hit her; she knew EXACTLY where she'd seen them - both of them: their faces were ensconced within the Blackwater Manor, as portraits that hung on the walls.  Both of the muzzles belonged to Blackwaters... long deceased Blackwaters, to boot.

Dax was a chatterbox when it came to his ancestors, so naturally he'd told many stories of the family history to any of the manor staff he could corner about it.  A few disliked it, but most of the staff found Dax to be a delight, so they sat through his 'history lessons', as many of the maids and butlers came to refer to them.

If she recalled correctly, the one with the mustache was... Horace?  Had that been his name?  She couldn't quite recall all the details yet, but she seemed to think he wasn't exactly one of the better branches on the family tree.  Something about poison, if she recalled?  He certainly looked like the oily shyster type, that much was for sure.

The other one, she'd always seen in a portrait with a rather lovely zebra mare, who was leaned into his barrel with a content look on her muzzle.  Dax had spoken a few times about this one, stating he was one of the better members of the family line.  She couldn't quite recall the name, though... in fact, hadn't there been something about the name to begin with?  Something that had been important, she knew, but the haze of memory wouldn't quite bring it into grasp.

Mystic, upon looking up, was treated to the sight of Blackwater Ridge swimming in fog that rolled around the tombstones, through the rusted iron fence... and over the hooves of another presence in the cemetery.  One that only she could see... or more like, see through.

It was an elegant, yet reserved mare.  She wore a black bodysuit, and her long and luxurious mane was a deep indigo color, with a light blue stripe running through it, as well as her equally lovely tail.  Her eyes, big and softly blue, seemed to be looking directly at Mystic as she stood there.

Even though it was late in the day, it felt as if night had stopped by momentarily to visit; the cemetery became cold and dark... which was something that both Blitz and Bloom could see.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:49 AM, Widdershins said:

"Ah owe the Blackwaters too. It's like the Roller Beetle grabbin' on ta his dirt lump with all his pincers. Ya gotta work with 'em." 

Pansy grinned; she got the reference, and was glad to see he was following her line of thought.

"Yes... of course, our dirt lumps probably smell a bit better," she chuckled as she got the crate rigged up next to them, then she looked to Hopper with a grin.

"Now, Mister Hopper, if you would be so kind as to remove any uneccesary items from what you're wearing, we can get you fitted with this harness, and you should be able to walk the crate back without lugging a cart the entire way.  If you please, sir - the harness is a bit tight from what I've heard, so you might want to be sure this harness sits as comfortably as possible."

She waited for him to start removing whatever clothing would get in the way.  After all - ponies didn't exactly need clothing, did they?

@Loud Opinion [To be continued upon next post from LO]

• Brohoof 2