Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does Rainbow Dash hold back her speed to prevent damage?

TheMarkz0ne

In Wonderbolt Academy we learned Dash would never resort to reckless measures to prove her superiority in speed. Lightning Dust in that episode seemed to be better than her( we know she isn't). So you think Rainbow Dash is so fast she's capable of breaking objects with her maximum speed? 

She's capable of creating explosions with her speed. I would say her maximum speed can be very dangerous. It's like driving a car. Sure, some cars can go 120 mph, but is it a good idea? No. 

Maybe it's just because the faster she goes, the harder it is to control her movement. 

• Brohoof 2

Are there really people who think that Rainbow Dash can go faster than the speed of sound? We know that she likes showing her abilities when Ponyville is watching her, and I remember that in Hurricane Fluttershy, her wingpower was only twice the one of the average pegasus :/

Are there really people who think that Rainbow Dash can go faster than the speed of sound? We know that she likes showing her abilities when Ponyville is watching her, and I remember that in Hurricane Fluttershy, her wingpower was only twice the one of the average pegasus :/

Yes, but what if wing power is exponential and not linear?

I don't know, but being 2 times faster than someone is already not that bad, so I think it's pretty coherent, the Sonic Rainboom must be her going beyond her limits B) But I think it's a limit :/

I don't know, but being 2 times faster than someone is already not that bad, so I think it's pretty coherent, the Sonic Rainboom must be her going beyond her limits B) But I think it's a limit :/

I guess that does make sense. And to be accurate, Rainbow Dash had a wingpower of 16.5, so not exactly twice as fast (Why do I know that?)

I guess that does make sense. And to be accurate, Rainbow Dash had a wingpower of 16.5, so not exactly twice as fast (Why do I know that?)

Around twice then x) I just saw that Thunderlane got something of 9.3. That's disappointing, Rainbow xD

This seems unlikely due to the calculations used though. Specifically, the amount of wingpower needed from fluttershy at the end to complete the hurricane would have been an absolutely Godlike amount, while if its additive its fairly believable.

Overall the amount of wingpower needed to raise the water via hurricane makes more sense if it was additive.

I'd say yes. After all she broke a wing from a bad landing and that wasn't even at super sonic speed. 

Dash rarely flies at super-sonic speed, sure she can do it, but the Sonic Rainboom requires time and probably requires a mimium amount of airspace to perform it and to bleed of the speed afterwards.

While not canon per-se. In the comics she performs multiple sonic rainbooms which put so much stress on her wings she fears that she my never fly again. In fact she remains grounded for 3 months after performing this stunt while her wings recover from it.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, she doesn't seem to be crashing into buildings as much as she used to.  So, either

1) She has learned Speed Kills  OR

2) She has joined the Ponyville chapter of AA & is laying off the cider :lol:

Edited by sweetolebob18
  • Brohoof 1

I would say yes.

I mean, we don't furiously start running when we're walking. That could cause injury to us or someone else.

I'd say yes. After all she broke a wing from a bad landing and that wasn't even at super sonic speed. 

Dash rarely flies at super-sonic speed, sure she can do it, but the Sonic Rainboom requires time and probably requires a mimium amount of airspace to perform it and to bleed of the speed afterwards.

While not canon per-se. In the comics she performs multiple sonic rainbooms which put so much stress on her wings she fears that she my never fly again. In fact she remains grounded for 3 months after performing this stunt while her wings recover from it.

Wait? What series or issue in the comics was this? Because the ones before Reflections I skipped.

I would think so. But then again, it doesn't seem to help much. How many times has she crashed into a room and sent everything flying? Some savy business pony could really clean up if they started selling sonic rainboom insurance.

Well she did destroy that old barn applejack had (its in the episode 'lesson zero')

She already flies at her maximum speed. It is quite obvious if you watch the episodes, see her facial expressions and the situation she is always in. The wonderbolt academy is not a good example as you cannot approach any max speed in anything other then a straight line. She needed to manuaver around objects which we saw her rival was far better at then she is.