Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you have accepted Crusaders of the lost mark as the Season 5 finale?

Unlikeable Pony

28 users have voted

1. 1. would you?

• Yes
    • no

So, here's a question. If they hadn't had starlight sneaking around this season, or if they did her return episode in the middle of the season, would you have found this recent episode both good enough and thematic enough to have served as the finale for this season, not unlike Best night ever was for Season 1?

Given that it dealt with the theme of cutie marks that is what this season is all about and that the CMC getting their cutie marks is one of the longest running plots in the show, would you have been satisfied if that had been what the finale for this season was?

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 2

Nope. I wouldn't have been satisfied.

Honestly, this episode was as "just okay" as a lot of other episodes. I get the huge fandom explosion over it (and yes, I am VERY happy that the CMC got their cutie marks, even if I don't necessarily agree with and/or understand certain aspects of their marks), but I don't share the fandom's excitement. It's a good episode for the characters, but it isn't BEST EPISODE EVAR!!1!!11one! like so many people claim it to be.

Edited by Kolth
  • Brohoof 5

I have gone ahead and added the "spoiler" prefix to your topic since it mentions what happened in the newest episode :). Not everybody has seen the newest episode yet. 

It is usually best to wait a week after an episode release, before one can omit the "spoiler" prefix when talking about that particular episode :)

• Brohoof 2

I have gone ahead and added the "spoiler" prefix to your topic since it mentions what happened in the newest episode :). Not everybody has seen the newest episode yet. 

It is usually best to wait a week after an episode release, before one can omit the "spoiler" prefix when talking about that particular episode :)

I know right. My friend is not quite caught up and I have no one to talk too about it. 

• Brohoof 2

There's definitely a sense of finality and culmination in Crusaders of the Lost Mark. If this were the last we ever saw of the CMC, I would be fully satisfied. If this were the last episode of Season 5, honestly, I think it would work. This season started by showing the importance of a cutie mark and individual talents with The Cutie Map, and it can end with the people who want one the most finally earning it.

I haven't felt so delighted and emotional after watching an episode of MLP since, ever. It's probably my new favorite episode, period.

• Brohoof 1

Probably, yes. This episode reminds me very much of Magical Mystery Cure, being a musical, and a major change of status quo. Also like MMC, it could have been extended to 2 parts. Though it didn't really need it the way MMC did. Another similarity that i very much appreciate is that it wasn't done at the end of the series, so we can see what their lives will be like from here on.

I think it's best just the way it is, one episode in the middle of the season. That way a lot of us could be surprised rather than expecting something big this week, and we can see them get started on their new quest right away rather than having to wait half a year or more.

On the other hand, I do think the finales have gotten overdramatic, so doing something more personal like this would be a good change. But then a lot of people would probably complain that it's not dramatic enough, and that would be less fun than the overwhelming positivity it's gotten this way.

• Brohoof 1

This episode made it to the MLP Hall of Fame, so yes ofcourse it would have made for a great season 5 finale. Unless Hasbro has something even better planned for the season 5 finale ;)

• Brohoof 1

Far not, all two parters have been making some of the best episodes of all seasons. They involved adventure, magic and some interesting action throughout the whole episodes (Twilight's Kingdom being the best) - the while musical thing and school story - for me not enough for a season finale. 'Do princesses dream of magic sheep' I liked more but unless the shadow of Luna made as much damage as in the 2 part episodes, wouldn't also be for a finale. For this CMC episode nothing that required a 2nd part happened really, I mean it all happened in the last 5 minutes.

Edited by ImtR

This one surely qualify as one of the best episode , music and unspoiled bombshell of the series.

However, if this episode is a two-parter with a bit of more developments and explanations, it will going to be the legendary finale of all cartoon ever existed. I mean, surely the episode now is good (better than MMC); it has room to get EVEN more polish.

No. The Season finale should focus on the main characters, and not secondary albeit important ones, and the whole thing with Starlight needs to be resolved.

Especially not after seeing the ending to the Friendship Games in regards to the whole time loop story, and I would take that any day over the CMC's finally earning their marks as that just does not seem as epic or as interesting comparison.

However ignoring those two loose dangling threads this is my stance on the matter.

This might have made for a mid-season finale before the hiatus, but I still think MMC handled the musical concept better though while putting an end to the first part of a major character arc before starting the next one

No offense to those to who enjoyed this past episode but it simply did not feel like a season finale material at least for me. Sure it was nice that Diamond Tiara was reformed, and the CMC's earned their marks but it worked just as well in a slice of life episode as it would in a milestone one.

Edited by UnknownFry
  • Brohoof 1

No, I thought it was a great episode, but even if the Starlight storyline had already been wrapped up, I would not have wanted a finale that focused on the CMC. I think it would have made a good penultimate episode, though.

I would have gladly accepted it as the finale, easily. Considering we would then have gotten two episodes for it which would have made it doubly amazing and the fact that I really do not like what I am hearing about the actual finale, it would have been far better if COTLM was the finale instead. It would have been thematic for the season, very heartwarming, and who knows what else they could have done with the extra 22 minutes. I would have enjoyed that one a lot more than I will enjoy the actual finale for this season. Let's just say, I am dreading it. 

• Brohoof 1

I would have gladly accepted it as the finale, easily. Considering we would then have gotten two episodes for it which would have made it doubly amazing and the fact that I really do not like what I am hearing about the actual finale, it would have been far better if COTLM was the finale instead. It would have been thematic for the season, very heartwarming, and who knows what else they could have done with the extra 22 minutes. I would have enjoyed that one a lot more than I will enjoy the actual finale for this season. Let's just say, I am dreading it. 

I will admit, I'm not that much looking forward to the finale myself. I'm hoping to be surprised, but eh... Starlight glimmer strikes me as a pretty poor villain IMO, compared to others like chrysalis or Discord.

She just kind of strikes me as "Single episode villain" than "two parter villain".

I will say, I AM more enthused about it than I was a few weeks ago due to the synopsis coming out--- I was expecting that this would play out like Season 4 where twilight's key episode was pushed to be the finale, which I felt kind of ruined it a bit (I hate non-mane six centric two parters), and the fact that Twilight was being snubbed for key missions so far made me expect it would turn out hers would be the finale. The fact that this is NOT so has at least taken that problem out of the way.

The plot ideas not a bad premise as the "villain stops the rainboom from happening" idea is one that fans have been talking about since season one. I just worry that Starlight is a bad villain to do it with.

Except for the season 1 finale Best Night Ever (S1E26), all the Season Openers & Season Closers have been game changers.  This is a major game changer, so yes.  It would not be the best season ender, but not the worst either.

Unlikeable Pony

You could add a survey to your post & see what % say yes or no.  I'd do it, but it looks like only the 1 who starts a topic can do that

ya as long as this was not the last season this episode gave me a lot of respect for diamond tiara

wait was troubled shoes ep a sneak peek at their talent because they helped him find out what  his cutie mark is

Edited by shynight01

Well, I do believe that this is one of the best episodes of the whole show, but that's because it deals with themes that a standard childerens show never threads. Showing that an evil character sometimes isn't really that evil at all, just misunderstood and having a bad growing enviroment

Also, I like that the CMC get their cutie marks, but it seems way to rushed when we consider that it took five seasons to get to this point and while I liked the themes of the episode, everything seemed way to rushed. That's why I think a season finale would work with this episode, if the writers made it a two part. It gives more room to tell the story and flesh out certain actions and eventual ending better.

Well, I do believe that this is one of the best episodes of the whole show, but that's because it deals with themes that a standard childerens show never threads. Showing that an evil character sometimes isn't really that evil at all, just misunderstood and having a bad growing enviroment

Also, I like that the CMC get their cutie marks, but it seems way to rushed when we consider that it took five seasons to get to this point and while I liked the themes of the episode, everything seemed way to rushed. That's why I think a season finale would work with this episode, if the writers made it a two part. It gives more room to tell the story and flesh out certain actions and eventual ending better

good point you made it makes so much sense 

Except for the season 1 finale Best Night Ever (S1E26), all the Season Openers & Season Closers have been game changers.  This is a major game changer, so yes.  It would not be the best season ender, but not the worst either.

Unlikeable Pony

You could add a survey to your post & see what % say yes or no.  I'd do it, but it looks like only the 1 who starts a topic can do that

well, I was more interested in what people had to *say* than just a yes/no format XD, yeah?