Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Who's attending Star Wars Episode VII on opening night?

TheMarkz0ne

I am so estatic that my head might explode from the sheer thrill of seeing a new star wars sequel trilogy. I am hoping it doesn't suck, but the idea of seeing a new trilogy is definitely worth the 2 month wait. I am going with 4 people opening night, IMAX in the middle row. I only chose IMAX because this movie was shot  with IMAX cameras and the visual quality is worth this ocassion. I hate 3D, but I will let it slide.

I was able to get lucky because they reported the ticket sites glitched and people were buying tickets before half time last night during Monday Night Football. So you can only imagine how thrilled I am. Back in the day during the prequel trilogy it was a free for all. I hate the assigned seating for every movie, but for this it's an exception. Because I don't want to kill myself to sit down.

I can't make the marathon event, which is a shame. I never saw the original star wars trilogy in theaters, I was introduced via bootlegged VHS back in 1997. I couldn't even go during the 20th anniversary since I was 4 at that time. But that's fine, I am just happy I can see episode VII.

Who else here is doing the same?

• Brohoof 1

While I still need to watch the original trilogy, I am thinking of seeing this on opening day, because December 18th is my birthday and I have been getting so interesting in Star Wars over the past year and this could be an awesome way to begin with it. ^__^

I can wait--to be exact, I'll have to wait.

I don't do pre-bought tickets, and there's no way I'm getting in without those in the first few days, and then it'll still be sold out for probably 2-3 weeks after.

• Brohoof 1

I am so exited, but I probably won't be able to go to the premiere. Maybe I'll do what I did when the 7th Harry Potter film came out and go at 3AM on opening day. Man it is so weird leaving the theater as the sun is rising.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I am so exited, but I probably won't be able to go to the premiere. Maybe I'll do what I did when the 7th Harry Potter film came out and go at 3AM on opening day. Man it is so weird leaving the theater as the sun is rising.

Again, missing the marathon is a shame. A weeknight Disney? What the hell were you thinking? Even if I could go, I can't. My parents run the company I work for and my mom and dad would not let me go to a 16 hour marathon on a work week. I am trying to contain the hype. Even Mark Hamill told fans to calm down. Hamill is a nerd like us, so I trust him. This just confirms that everyone worked hard on this movie and it will pay off. 

I honestly don't know what complainers of the prequel trilogy want. We're getting practical effects combined with modern CGI. The original cast is back. Rather than using a new set of characters.... The REAL Star Wars is Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford,Peter Mayhew, Alec Guiness, Carrie Fisher, David Prowse( Vader in the suit) James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker,  Billy Dee, Peter Cushing and you get the idea.

I want episode VII to continue from ROTJ... I love the video games and some of the expanded stories... But I need my original Star Wars, movies come first, everything else comes last. 

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

A friend of mine is making me go. I don't know if he scheduled for opening night or not, but I'm being forced to see it at some point. I'm not the biggest star wars fan, I'm thinking of cosplaying as a character from Harry Potter or something when I go to see it with him just to irritate people.

I'm seeing it on the 18th. When I preordered my tickets, I was able to see how many had been sold, because my local theater does reserved seating, and the ones that had been sold were greyed out. And, even in a 5:00 PM 2D showing, it was still mostly sold out. Luckily, there were still enough seats, and the place that I like to sit wasn't taken. I got 4 tickets, one for me, one for my brother, and two for my friends. Im so excited! Star Wars has been a big part of my life since I was about 6, and I have wanted this movie to exist since then. And now it does! Just gotta wait 2 more months...

Edited by NeonCobalt
  • Brohoof 1

While I still need to watch the original trilogy, I am thinking of seeing this on opening day, because December 18th is my birthday and I have been getting so interesting in Star Wars over the past year and this could be an awesome way to begin with it. ^__^

Wait.... You never saw the original movies?

Wait.... You never saw the original movies?

I regret to say....I have not. :( I know, that is kinda crazy, but I will try my hardest to see the original trilogy before episode 7. The prequels don't interest me, I have watched reviews for all the movies and the originals sound amazing and the prequels sound completely pointless so I want the original greatness, plus I want to find those movies in their original forms and not the George Lucas tampering editions. 

so....I need to get on that. :P

I regret to say....I have not. :( I know, that is kinda crazy, but I will try my hardest to see the original trilogy before episode 7. The prequels don't interest me, I have watched reviews for all the movies and the originals sound amazing and the prequels sound completely pointless so I want the original greatness, plus I want to find those movies in their original forms and not the George Lucas tampering editions. 

In that case, you'll probably want to pick up the 2006 DVDs (they say Limited Edition at the top). The second disc for each has the theatrical version as a special feature. It's taken from the Laserdisc, though, so not exactly the best quality, but it's the best you'll get if you want the unaltered versions, unfortunately. They're out of print, so you probably won't find them in stores. They are, however on Amazon.
  • Brohoof 2

In that case, you'll probably want to pick up the 2006 DVDs (they say Limited Edition at the top). The second disc for each has the theatrical version as a special feature. It's taken from the Laserdisc, though, so not exactly the best quality, but it's the best you'll get if you want the unaltered versions, unfortunately. They're out of print, so you probably won't find them in stores. They are, however on Amazon.

Ah, okay. Thank you for that tip, I did not know about the 2006 releases, that helps a lot. :) I was thinking I was gonna have to scramble everywhere to find the theatrical releases. XD 

• Brohoof 1

I was in the same boat, until recently I had never watched any of the movies. So I binge watched the thing, in order too lol. like 1-6 I know it is like unheard of. I know you are supposed to watch it like 4, 5, 6, then 1, 2, 3, but ya. I really enjoyed it the 1-6, it made a lot more sense. 

I can wait--to be exact, I'll have to wait.

I don't do pre-bought tickets, and there's no way I'm getting in without those in the first few days, and then it'll still be sold out for probably 2-3 weeks after.

If you are lucky enough to have that happen lol. My husband looked online to see if he could order some tickets, and they are sold out for months! The next available ticket is like... Feb/March 2016

Well, I am just glad that there will actually be a movie worth watching on Christmas Day.  The movie theater is open on Christmas and it tends to be a day when there are not all that many people who go (so it isn't horribly crowded).

Well, I am just glad that there will actually be a movie worth watching on Christmas Day.  The movie theater is open on Christmas and it tends to be a day when there are not all that many people who go (so it isn't horribly crowded).

It's Star War under new direction.

I will be very surprised if you can get in, even on Christmas Day. I imagine a lot of people will be getting tickets for presents.

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. 

Me and my friends are so excited for it and we've already booked seats to go and watch it the day it comes out. We are going to also watch all 6 movies next week before we do go and see it.

It's Star War under new direction.

I will be very surprised if you can get in, even on Christmas Day. I imagine a lot of people will be getting tickets for presents.

Heh -- there have been times with lesser pictures where I was the only person in the theater.  If it is over 1/3rd full on Christmas Day I will be very surprised.

Didn't Lucas lie and there were minor alterations to the movie at that time? I have no right to want the unaltered version. My first exposure was the special edition VHS tapes... But I can relate, the changes are just insane and worthy of being angry at. I still have the newest blu ray and Vader's NO is enough to ruin ROTJ. But I just pretend it doesn't exist. 

Didn't Lucas lie and there were minor alterations to the movie at that time? I have no right to want the unaltered version. My first exposure was the special edition VHS tapes... But I can relate, the changes are just insane and worthy of being angry at. I still have the newest blu ray and Vader's NO is enough to ruin ROTJ. But I just pretend it doesn't exist.

I'm pretty sure the only real difference is that they're from the 93 laserdiscs, meaning that they have a lot of DNR (Digital Noise Reduction), which removes some picture detail. But that's only a video quality thing. Content wise, they are the exact same movies as were released theatrically.

You must see the original trilogy or face punishment :angry:.

I think there are enough cinema versions of the series on VHS and Betamax to find on Ebay and other sites. Like these:

h1tXn.jpg

Maybe one day Disney will bring the cinema versions on DVD and Blu-Ray.

• Brohoof 1

First off, you should really watch the other films before watching episode VII since it'll continue from where ep VI left off.

Secondly, episode I, II and III aren't as bad as people make them out to be. People just throw hate at them because they were different. Episode IV, V and VI is basically just a bunch of action while I, II and III includes "boring" things such as political discussions and long drama scenes. Personally I like the prequels a lot, they have a lot of awesome moments and you get to see cool new places of the star wars universe. Also, I really don't mind the drama and political talk. I think it just adds to the experience, it's nice to see something else than war for a change. Sure there are some stupid scenes but they are far from being pointless, they're great! Either way, I do prefer the original films of course but hey, that's no reason to leave out the prequels. I definitely think you should watch them.

I think it's best to stay away from reviews before watching a film. Get your own opinion first and watch reviews afterwards. Otherwise it'll just change the way you look on a film.

About the edits that have been made to the original films, I say watch the original releases then watch the edited ones. Some of the changes made the films worse, some made them better so again, watch both.

i work in a movie theater so i can see it the night before ;)

I live in Sweden so I'll see it 2 days before ;)

Yes, of course I will watch the premiere! Since the film has premiere a little earlier here in Sweden (10 am, December 16th), I am not seeing it the 18th. I am super excited and I'll probably wear a jedi outfit or something. I was first with buying tickets so I got the best seats as well :)

I'll make sure to write a review about it after seeing it so you guys know what to expect :P

• Brohoof 1

I wimped out and bought the tickets for december 25th ahead of time.  It is kind of a thing that the family goes and watches a movie together on Christmas Day and it is nice that this year there is a decent movie to see.