Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Open world game

Bogrick Grey Mane

Hi everypony,

I'm currently working on an MLP open world game project which I intend to provide free. As of yet the project is still in it's infancy and I have not yet come up with a good game story line. The idea was inspired by Bryal's artwork on deviantart, placing MLP characters into a real world landscape {I was going to do it with a cartoon landscape to start with}

What I'm currently looking for are ponys, or even people, that can produce basic rig files in blender or any other 3D software that can be imported into UE4 for the time being, I'm looking for a basic "naked" pony character rig anim, no main, tail or texture etc, just a skinned anim. For the time being three basic anims will do, walking, running and flying. I'm not that good with blender, and to be honest I've enough on my plate at the moment working on the landscape which is going to take me along time to finish. Currently I have less than 1/6th of the landscape done, each tile is 750km square, so I've along way to go to try and recreate a real world Equestria.

When the game is finished it will include a "Pony Builder" utility so players can simply and easily create there OC, The main 6 and certain other charters will not be available, they will be for admin/moderator use only. This will also help in keeping Hasbro of my back, though I will very happily give them the credit for the inspiration.

As I said at the start, I have no real story line worked out yet, just the landscape, and was wondering if as apposed to a dedicated game I left it truly open world and talked to admin here on the forum about integrating it with with role play section, allowing OCs to see and talk to each other either as text or voice over IP, making for a truly realistic role play system. I can build most scenarios into the AI at request allowing players to have a truly immersive experience.

Any pony or person interested in helping with this can PM me and also please feel free to comment

So quick break down:

Wanted:

1 Feedback

2 3D animators who will work for the love of it and recognition of their work

3 Unreal Engine 4 users, all areas, who would like to help {current project is on UE4.10}

4 Anypony else that thinks they can help in some way, no matter what it is.

I am financing this entire project myself {it's a Buddhist thing}, even down to equipment, hosting, and giving the few ponys that help me at the moment a few bits/gems for a drink or two. I can't afford to pay anypony else at the moment unless I win the Lottery {if I ever do I'll pay for the hosting of the forum for a year or more}

So there you have it, as I said all feedback is welcome, good and bad, just keep it constructive please. Please feel free to PM me for more info or to offer assistance. It may take me a day or two to get back to you but I will reply.

• Brohoof 2

Idea sounds good, but you should chose between an open world do-whatver-you-want kind of game and a linear game with a linear story. Combining them might work but for a project that is so small i think you should really just focus on just one thing and do that bit right. Now i would love a MLP open world game where you can go grow your character from a little filly to a full grown mare, making friends and spending lots of time building up your character, maybe even building your own town and taking care of it and all that fluff, so then you can share it with your friends and here rather than following a story and then just never play it again. I personally want to make such game, even though it might not be as big as i want it, probably 2D and in C++ without an engine.

Can't wait to hear more about it and i hope you're gonna be able to make something good out of it. I'm not an expert, but if you need help with debugging or anything C++ related problems i might be able to help you. And i would also love to be a beta tester for it  :3

Edited by Ken

When the game is finished it will include a "Pony Builder" utility so players can simply and easily create there OC, The main 6 and certain other charters will not be available, they will be for admin/moderator use only. This will also help in keeping Hasbro of my back, though I will very happily give them the credit for the inspiration.

This won't keep Hasbro off your back. Hasbro both can and will still give you C&D even if you limit who can play their characters. 

This won't keep Hasbro off your back. Hasbro both can and will still give you C&D even if you limit who can play their characters. 

Imo it shouldn't contain any characters from the show, yet to have the ability to create them in the character creator and so everyone can make their own version of them but each of them to be unique. Can't see how Hasbro will be able to do something about that and you also have a very interesting tool to play around with and for players to enjoy.

If you need any ideas, I could help out but other than that I can't do much

Even just the offer of help is a help to me :kindness:thanks.

Let them issue a C&D, If it's completely for free they may only be able to get me on intellectual copyright

This is a major project that will take allot of effort on my, and all my friends parts to come together,

and that includes all my pony friends here :rarity:

Combining them might work but for a project that is so small i think you should really just focus on just one thing and do that bit right

Hi Ken, oh and welcome to the forums, I missed you on the greetings board. :)

The Hole purpose of the game is to be completely open world, but with the option to allow for OCs to create there own scenarios for RP, letting the RP master spawn in AI pawns at locations of their choice. The available map area for game play is currently standing at 3,375,000 KM sqr and will be as faithful a reproduction as I can make of the MLP FIM cutie mark map.

I've along way to go yet, but hope to have some per-release stuff out early in the new year, just to give ponys a feel of what is coming.

Even just the offer of help is a help to me :kindness:thanks.

Let them issue a C&D, If it's completely for free they may only be able to get me on intellectual copyright

This is a major project that will take allot of effort on my, and all my friends parts to come together,

and that includes all my pony friends here :rarity:

Hi Ken, oh and welcome to the forums, I missed you on the greetings board. :)

The Hole purpose of the game is to be completely open world, but with the option to allow for OCs to create there own scenarios for RP, letting the RP master spawn in AI pawns at locations of their choice. The available map area for game play is currently standing at 3,375,000 KM sqr and will be as faithful a reproduction as I can make of the MLP FIM cutie mark map.

I've along way to go yet, but hope to have some per-release stuff out early in the new year, just to give ponys a feel of what is coming.

"Greetings board"? Not sure if you're thinking i'm someone else xD

Anyway...I like that idea but i think you should not worry about making the map look very much like the world from the show so early in the development stage. I think, and its just my opinion, that you should first make the bear bone mechanics like a character that walks, with health (and/or any other proprieties you wish them to have), objects and interactions that the character can have with them and all of that. To create a really basic prototype of what you wanna do and then build up from that and start expanding and changing. That way you can release a demo faster (even tho might look ugly and be very small in terms of map size) and get the community hyped :3

You do realise that they are going to force you to stop working on this game, right?

They can't "force" him to stop working on it, but they can take it down. Why would they do that though? Its really just fan art for a show they do and fan art is something that draws many fans  into watching their show so they should be less "CAN'T DO THAT! CAN'T DO THIS!" and more like "hey, if it's for the community and you don't get any money for it, then please do whatever you want".

I am happy to involve myself in any writing, VA work, music help you may need.

I'm currently doing a writing course and also perform on stage quite a lot so could be useful in those two sectors :)

They can't "force" him to stop working on it, but they can take it down.

And how is that different? He still won't be able to work on it.

Why would they do that though?

Because he's using copyrighted material.

Edited by Yamet

Because he's using copyrighted material.

This is one I'll be discussing with my solicitor, just to see how far I can push it before I start infringing on there copyright

God damn.... more expense. :angry:

This project is costing me an arm and a leg before I even get to the alpha. :huh:

I would like to help, but I don't know how I would... The only animation I know currently is stopmotion, but thats not verry useful here I think.. so is there anything you think I could do?

Thanks for the offer Artimis, :rarity: If I think of something you could help with I'll get in touch

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...