Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it possible to have too many pony oc's?

ManaMinori

There are people who mane an oc or two, and are satisfied with that. But perhaps the more artistically inclined, or the more passionate-and maybe not so artistically inclined, create more. LOTS more. Perhaps half a dozen oc's for every Mlp canon race under the sun, and then some, until they can have their own world of pony inspired OC's.

Is enough ever enough?

Is it possible for one person to have "too many" pony inspired OC's?

Its all about perspective. Personally I think having more than one is too much because an OC is to resembol you. Many people would.disagree with that statement as they would agree. Its all about perspective.

Depends! If you invest lots of yourself into your OCs, then just a couple would be enough. If you have lots of different ideas, and enough ability to keep up with all of them, then I see no problem with having many OCs.

To me, there is a difference between having OCs and building a next gen cast or something of the like. Next gen would be like creating a world, whereas OCs are just creating characters c:

The one thing I somewhat am puzzled by, however, is when people hoard designs for the sake of pretty ponies and not for actual use. That makes me a little bit sad. :c

Its all about perspective. Personally I think having more than one is too much because an OC is to resembol you. Many people would.disagree with that statement as they would agree. Its all about perspective.

I think you may be confusing oc with a ponysona/ persona
  • Brohoof 1

I gotta be honest with you on this one, I just got into OC's the beginning of this month. I just created three for the fanfic contest. I never really looked to keen on the whole OC thing, but I still thought about having at least a ponysona. One of the OC's in the fanfic - He's one of the ideas I had for a ponysona. Thing was he was more of a ponysona for the person that I wanted to be, so he was not a ponysona. Backstory aside, I want to keep making OC's until I can't stop making repeats of the ones I already made!

I think you may be confusing oc with a ponysona/ persona

agreed.

There isn't really a such thing as 'too many' in my opinion.  It's your creation.  It's only as many as you make it, if that makes sense.  That is to say that if it's too many for you then it is, if not, then it's not.  It's really a matter of how you feel.  It will all be coming from your creativity, and therefore, I don't believe you should have limits to what you can do/create.  In reality, the only limits that you can put on yourself is your own. 

In the end, it's all about how you feel and what you're comfortable/satisfied with.

Edited by AmarisNsane

• 6 years later...

um.. guilty of having many oc's.. i think so! Lol
I had approx 100 with some having a worth of 2000$ xD

I'm not much into the fandom anymore now.. so now i have that issue with human oc's but i love every single one of them..

So i don't know when much is too much!
It's not helping when you love to draw so you just create more..

I have SO many ocs. I have asked myself that question more than once, but my answer is always no. When my mind wants to play with a design, personality, and backstory; I just have at it! It just makes things fun! Like with my recent zebra oc; Gothic Symphony!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Oh yes, case in point... Myself! I have many an OC, but the pony ones are off the wall!!! My favorites include, Stellar Heights, Sienna Cinnamon, Rainbow Kaboom, Pixel, Glory Feather and Cobalt Mix. 

I constantly draw new ones and keep on drawing, I had three villains but one was reformed. One has changeling powers for some reason and another is a cyborg red and black kirin/earth pony. But it's okay if you do have too many. I have many OCs and love them all!! :D 

Well for me, the number of OCs I have really depends on how you measure it. Like I can count the number of OCs I use frequently on one hand. However, I have a bunch of what I consider OC ideas which are basically just thought experiments for how certain personalities might react in certain situations and very little of anything else.

• 2 weeks later...