Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anybody wished they lived in early 20th century? And modern times.

Lithophila

Absolutely not. The health and short life span, as well as hard physical work and anything such as food was depending on random weather factors (cold, hot, wet, etc). Nothing about it seems interesting to me.

2 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I do sometimes, and anyway it couldn't have been any worse than the world we live in right now lol. 

You'd be surprised lmao. I would never want to live through the World Wars

As bad as thus century is, lmao I just can;t see me living back there unless I managed to take modern technology back there with me. 

Still a resounding no for me, and I don't understand how people can romanticize those times so much.

Women had pretty much no rights - we just barely gained the right to vote within the first half of the 20th century, and were still withheld a ton of rights for a longggg time, plus the culture itself - which is still disgusting, was far worse. LGBT people most certainly had absolutely no rights, don't have to elaborate much on this. People of color had pretty much no rights, segregation was in place, the KKK and other white nationalist groups were even more violent than they are today. Two World Wars occurred, with totalitarian dictators who were all mass murderers. The Dust Bowl and the Great Depression occurred. Technology was extremely limited - you wouldn't have access to anywhere near the level of medical care we have today. You wouldn't have access to the internet and with that, media, news, knowledgeable resources would be much harder to access (and you'd only be working with what was out at the time.). There would be no MLP, no Star Wars, no Harry Potter, no whatever kind of media series you love. There'd be no rock and roll, metal, pop, country, soul, hip hop/rap, dubstep, etc. - whatever you like to listen to, and what kinds of music did exist would be much harder to find and much less convenient to listen to even if you had them.

I love history. I adore it, in fact. But you couldn't pay me to have me live back in those times. I'm not going back to being treated a second-class citizen, and as I said in my first post, I'm not going back to when PoC were treated like that. I would be so horrified. If you think I hate the South right now, I would literally want to burn the whole place to the ground. I don't think I could handle being around during the Holocaust either.

• Brohoof 1

Oh no lol, I would absolutely not want to go back in time to a time where people like me weren't treated with dignity and common decency.  If I HAD to go back in time, I'd want to see what life was like pre-white settlers came to North America.  I'd learn all I could about the culture of the group my family comes from(Anishinaabe) specifically.  I'd like to see what life was like before the settlers came and basically upended everything.

If I can't do that, I'll happily stay with my technology, thanks.  Sure, me being trans is a bit difficult for me sometimes, still get the odd remark thrown at me from a passing car window, etc. but at least we have modern medicine and the internet and electricity, modern day plumbing and I don't think I'd want to trade that for fulfilling some romanticized version of the past.  There's nothing to stop OP from dressing and acting the way they might think people acted in the past, there's reenactors of all stripes out there.  Also, pretty sure my ancestors would've used technology we have these days if they could.

If you know me well enough you know what my response might be about :P .

Hypothetically if I was born in 1900.... hmm, 

Nah things would be boring :wacko: . And yeah a lot of stuff was still backwards from today as some have pointed out.

Maybe I wouldn’t have minded growing up in the 70s and 80s though :pout: .

I bet lots of people in the future (20, 50, 100 years from now) certainly wouldn’t want to be here now I bet :wacko: .

Let's see - steam locomotives, steam engines in general, the beginning of flight and electricity - awesome.

But then - Oppressed by the Tsar, WW1, relatively good times, USSR, WW2, 3rd Reich, USSR again, starvation, trains to the gulag, freedom fighters. Later it becomes OK again.

Umm... how about no. I can get an old car right now and not only it is cheaper, I do not have to wait years in line.

(edited)

Internet and the access to the information, people and entertainment is a large part what made me who I am today so nupe. And I am a techy. I'd just be more isolated tbh though depends exactly where I was, nature is nice and certain places have nice communitt. And not good for lgbt ppl and less women's rights. Plus just everything harder less tech ya know I rather not lol 

I think tech itself is not a problem its the society itself and addiction. That said im worried about environmental destruction and people getting further away from reality, as well as the kids today growing up. The only times I might miss are the early 2000s haha or maybe a little later (but still modern) but slow internet then, I still think of that horrible dial up sound. I wasn't alive that long ago tho so i don't know but I haven't heard good, unless they only teach the bad stuff hmm. 

Edited by flurry