Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you take part in an E.T. exchange programme?

TopQuark

Sometime in the future (centuries from now, or next Tuesday), the human race comes into contact with a space-faring alien civilization. After the initial shock, an agreement for a cultural exchange is made, in which members from both societies have the opportunity to spend a period of time on the other's planet, in the effort to further understand the other, and to foster a spirit of friendship.

If you choose to take part, you may either sign up to be transported (via space travel, wormhole, etc.) to the alien home world, where you are tasked with learning about their culture, and to provide a positive representation of Humanity.

Alternativly, you may sign up to have one of the aliens to come and live in your home for the same purpose. Your job is to act as a guide in helping them understand human culture, history, and diversity.

Should you wish to sign on, which would you choose, and how would it impact your life?

For the purpose of this hypothetical scenario, feel free to presume and conditions or complications, such as the physiology, ideology, theology, etc. of the alien race.

I have recently been thinking about such a situation a lot, so I thought I would share it here and see what you think. :P

• Brohoof 1

I don't even have to think. As a lifelong fan of science fiction and space travel, I would sign up in a heartbeat. I don't mean to sound condescending, but I think a science fiction fan would have an easier time dealing with the culture shock of trying to fit into a totally different society/world.

I like experiencing other cultures, experiencing a whole different species would no doubt be interesting(unless they secretly eat people)...

"It's a cookbook!"

Obscure reference, for the win!

• Brohoof 1

Most definitely! I've never been in a student exchange program, but it'd be great to see what the planet and culture of an advenced alien race would be like. I'd sure ask them a lot of stuff, and would squee like a nerd at the sight of their accomplishments. If that ever happens, i hope the aliens can speak either Spanish or English, because i'd have a hard time learning alien, heh heh heh.

• Brohoof 1

I'd love love to be involved in such a thing!

Though on the part where I'd have to show them our world and make them learn our culture, I'd pretty much explain that our world is soonly gonna disappear, and if they wanna abduct me I'm in :3

• Brohoof 1

Sign me up! To go to another world and see an alien culture I would ditch my job and put my life on hold in a second. 

Hosting an alien would be okay but not nearly as good and I doubt most people would say I represent humanity well.

• Brohoof 1

I'd love love to be involved in such a thing!

Though on the part where I'd have to show them our world and make them learn our culture, I'd pretty much explain that our world is soonly gonna disappear, and if they wanna abduct me I'm in :3

Why ya gotta be that way? We've *almost* got a handle on our environmental issues ourselves, so surely with some help form aliens, we can get everything under control?

Part of it would depend on how long I would be gone but it does like a good opportunity. An alien species is about as different as you could get though the similarities would probably fascinate me as much as the differences.

Obscure reference, for the win!

I wonder if that cookbook has any recipes with Chianti and Fava beans?

i hope the aliens can speak either Spanish or English, because i'd have a hard time learning alien, heh heh heh.

By time it got to the point of contact/reveal it would probably come after watching humans for a little while and probably picking up some human languages, or there is also the possibility said species might be able to communicate with telepathy or might have special translation devices or something.

• 4 years later...