Steroids episode.

CastletonSnob

I have an idea for an episode.

After underperforming at a Wonderbolts Reserve practice, Rainbow is tempted to take performance-enhancing drugs.

Alternatively, Rainbow could catch a fellow Reserve using performance-enhancing drugs, and must decide whether or not to tell Spitfire, because she's worried about being called a snitch.

They could have the drug be a vitamin, and say that it makes you stronger and faster.

The temptation to use steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs is something young athletes WILL face, and I'd be interested to see if the show could tackle such an issue.

• Brohoof 2

I guess it sounds interesting but I doubt it would even be allowed to be an episode. Then again, they were able to pull off a "death" episode, so it could be possible.

"Death" episode? Which one was that?

Alternatively, Rainbow could catch a fellow Reserve using performance-enhancing drugs, and must decide whether or not to tell Spitfire, because she's worried about being called a snitch.

This is probably the only way something like this could work since there's literally no reason at this point for RD to do any steroids considering how much she's already proved herself athletically.

As for steroids, they probably wouldn't have the actual thing in the show, but I could see them having something in place of it, like "Performance Enhancing Magic" 

• Brohoof 3

This is probably the only way something like this could work since there's literally no reason at this point for RD to do any steroids considering how much she's already proved herself athletically.

As for steroids, they probably wouldn't have the actual thing in the show, but I could see them having something in place of it, like "Performance Enhancing Magic" 

Maybe she loses to a pony during a practice race, and finds out that the pony took performance enhancing drugs.

• Brohoof 1

The only problem I could see with this idea, is it could easily come off as too preachy. I've seen cartoons do this before where they just get carried away with the whole, "just say no" and "drugs are bad, mmkay" thing and they come off as holier-than-thou overly-sheltered scaremongers.

• Brohoof 1

Why wouldn't they? It'd be interesting.

They won't because they know it would piss off a lot of yuppy helicopter parents that want to shield their children from everything.

Edited by Shanks
  • Brohoof 1

"they're vitamins, I swear"

1400714301.baronbulge_busted.png

But Honestly I don't see such an episode working well at this point of the show.

I could see a plot like this being a good idea in Season 1 or 2 before the characters established themselves (like before twilight became what amounts to the God freaking princess of friendship I figured it'd be interesting to see twilight try and use dark magic to compete at a magic competition), but by now the mane six, Dash included, are way beyond being forced into a situation to try and use performance enhancers. (I mean Spitfire tried to poach her OVER SOARIN, and Windrider was so scared of her trying to break his record that he tried to frame her).

Like, I would have enjoyed a plot like this long ago, but the ship's sailed at this point. It just wouldn't feel right.

• Brohoof 1

After underperforming at a Wonderbolts Reserve practice, Rainbow is tempted to take performance-enhancing drugs.

No.  (Only word I really needed to refute that scenario.)

Isn't Bulk Biceps a walking, monosyllabic example of the horrific things that can happen to your body when you abuse steroids?

This isn't actually related as Rainbow would neither use nor abuse performance enhancing drugs, but this image came to mind:

post-26550-0-19773900-1458102371_thumb.png

Hibernating tortoise does not equal death.  It's not a death episode.  It's about a friend who is temporarily leaving, or moving away, or whatever.

Yes, exactly! If hibernation was an allegory of death, then what kind of message would the episode send to children? "Don't worry kid, your close relative died, but you'll see them again in spring!"

And an episode against drug-use...with vitamins representing drugs...would be silly.  Hey wait a minute, vitamins are good, right (when taken normally and as intended, of course)?  So basically that episode would be implying that vitamins are bad?  Would that episode make any sense?

Well, they could replace vitamins with... dunno, magic spells or potions? But as somebody pointed out, we've already seen that in "Inspiration Manifestation"  :P

I think that it all depends on how they handle it. In the episode Tanks For The Memories, they were able to introduce and give a lesson to children about death because they did it so subtly. They also gave a vague peak at death in the episode Apple Family Reunion when AppleJack caught site of the two shooting stars in the night sky, representing her passed on parents.

It really all rides on how the riders handle such a topic. I do think that this is actually a pretty intriguing episode idea and I think it could be played put one of two ways: Either RainbowDash is the one who takes the "vitamins", or she witnesses another Wonderbolt taking the "vitamins".

I would love to see something like that.

I could actually see this working as a concept, but not for RD, She wouldn't need it. Instead, make it about Fluttershy being on RD's team for something, even though that was already sorta done, and make Flutters really nervous about the whole thing, about losing potentially. So when her training physically doesn't seem to be helping much, she instead becomes desperate and gets a potion made by Zecora to assist with this, but she starts to use it too much and becomes wreckless. 

Seems like a cool concept to me, plus we could see more Zecora and potentially Flutterhulk. : P

• Brohoof 2

Hibernating tortoise does not equal death.  It's not a death episode.  It's about a friend who is temporarily leaving, or moving away, or whatever.

I find it very strange how bronies keep seeing things in MLP that aren't there.  Tanks for the Memories was about death?  Starlight Glimmer was a communist?  Concentration camps?  Lolwut?  Are we even watching the same show here?

I might as well say that the Crusaders of the Lost Mark episode was about the CMC going through puberty and getting their periods.  :derp:

That's why I said " "death" ". The moral of the episode can be applied to a friend moving away or whatever, but it COULD also be applied to death. It displayed the five stages of grief and even the writer herself said the episode had a deeper message. It's definitely not a death episode, plus nobody died. But it can be to some people who want to see it that way. I do agree that bronies tend to over analyze episodes (me too, at times) and make assumptions like that. (i.e. Starlight being a communist) :P

And an episode against drug-use...with vitamins representing drugs...would be silly.  Hey wait a minute, vitamins are good, right (when taken normally and as intended, of course)?  So basically that episode would be implying that vitamins are bad?  Would that episode make any sense?

Maybe it could be portrayed as a good vitamin. But if a pony took too much of it, things could get dangerous and out of hand.

Honestly though, if this episode ever happened, it would have a ton of flaws and plotholes (like this one for example) if not thought through correctly.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe it could work for a new pony altogether. Kinda like the suggestion that someone on Dash's Wonderbolts team is taking G-rated steroids and she has to convince her to stop or whatever.

Not sure if parents would appreciate it, but I'm not here to debate that.