Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Subways in UK water down their drinks!

SilverStarApple

Today, I went to subway for the first time in years, to celebrate getting a Patreon. It was kinda late, but meh, I was busy. Anyway, I got the sandwich I usually got, and Fanta. But when I pressed the button and the machine poured the cup... It was incredibly diluted, to the point where it was clear and only took on the usual yellowish hue when it accumulated in the cup. I took a sip to test it, and it was disgustingly diluted. I asked if the machine was broken, he got a sudden "OH CRAP!" look in his eyes, which he quickly covered up with the usual robotic and plastic yet friendly food-seller face, and he said he needed to refill the machine. He went into the back room and came out with a container to refill the machine, and when I asked why the machine had run out of fanta but not regular water, he said "Because of pressurization". When I asked what he meant by that, he said "It keeps the pressurizations in".

...Yeah. Pressurizations. It keeps them in. Kinda want to make a meme out of that. 

Anyway, the sandwich chain shop called Subway in the UK water down their drinks, or at least, the Fanta.

• Brohoof 1

Today, I went to subway for the first time in years, to celebrate getting a Patreon. It was kinda late, but meh, I was busy. Anyway, I got the sandwich I usually got, and Fanta. But when I pressed the button and the machine poured the cup... It was incredibly diluted, to the point where it was clear and only took on the usual yellowish hue when it accumulated in the cup. I took a sip to test it, and it was disgustingly diluted. I asked if the machine was broken, he got a sudden "OH CRAP!" look in his eyes, which he quickly covered up with the usual robotic and plastic yet friendly food-seller face, and he said he needed to refill the machine. He went into the back room and came out with a container to refill the machine, and when I asked why the machine had run out of fanta but not regular water, he said "Because of pressurization". When I asked what he meant by that, he said "It keeps the pressurizations in".

...Yeah. Pressurizations. It keeps them in. Kinda want to make a meme out of that. 

Anyway, the sandwich chain shop called Subway in the UK water down their drinks, or at least, the Fanta.

What comes out of those machines is not the same stuff that you get in bottles or cans, that is to say, it's not stored the same way, it's not stored as complete juice.  It's water and post-mix syrup which are combined (and carbonated) at the time of pouring.  If the syrup runs out, you get a cup of fizzy water, or just very weak juice.  It does not mean that they are watering it down.

As for what the staff member said, he's a guy that works in a sandwich shop, it's entirely possible that he has no idea how the machine works.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 6

You only just figured this out? XD

Also, never get ice with drinks. The ice takes up volume in your drinking glass so your paying the same price for less XD

• Brohoof 1

This video explains how one works (ok, how one example of them works), albeit with more of a focus on how the drink is carbonated (and a slightly patronising tone.)

So if the Fanta syrup had run out, it would have produced a very weak drink. Of course, tweaking the ratio to use less syrup is also possible, although that wouldn't cause what you experienced - you'd need to test it against shop-bought Fanta or look inside the machine.  

• Brohoof 5

Most of these food places where you get it from a machine don't sell you pure drinks, it's because it's easier to get more money over the amount of drink acquired out of you this way.

It sounds like you're saying every UK Subway does this.

It's happened to myself and people I know (in the USA,) and I doubt it's intentional. After all, restaurants would lose business if all their drinks tasted like faintly-flavored water. ^_^

Edited by Grepper

Sometimes I'll water down certain cheap sodas anyway, lol. Watered-down tastes are common in a lot of places. Stick with tea or water, I'd say.