How did people react to you being a brony or pegasister?

Altastrofae

How did people react when you started liking MLP. alot of my friends just shut meout cause i was "a little girl" and it was then i realized that i didnt have the right friends, and now i have the best friends a guy could ask for! so in a way, mlp helped me to make friends! gosh darnit if that isnt a metaphor for something...

Luckily when i first started telling people it was a huge faze in seventh grade (Two years ago! Oh my!),I had a hard time fitting in because no one liked me at the time (everyone called me gilda :() So they were "excepting" yet not at the same time :(

Edited by pinkiepartypie

I work for Disney so I'm surrounded by toons everyday. Nothing could be more natural. If I say "Hi, I'm a Pegasister!" I'll likely be greeted with a dry yawn and response like, "Yeah, and I'm Winnie the Pooh (literally). Ya want a medal er somethin'?"   :dry:

• Brohoof 4

I told my family, and then they beat my ass and shunned me for several months... 'twas fun.

Only kidding.

In reality, I've only told a couple of people, and neither of them cared.

• Brohoof 2

How did people react when you started liking MLP. alot of my friends just shut meout cause i was "a little girl" and it was then i realized that i didnt have the right friends, and now i have the best friends a guy could ask for! so in a way, mlp helped me to make friends! gosh darnit if that isnt a metaphor for something...

Friendship is Magic

Yeah pretty much all my friends either liked it, or tolerated it. And then there's my boyfriend, ponies pretty much layed the foundation for our relationship X)

Honestly?  I was a little disappointed by people's lack of reaction.  Turned out most of my friends at the time had already heard of it and were pretty indifferent about it.  As for my family, most of them didn't get it but neither did they kick up much fuss about it.  The most extreme reaction was simply my Dad trying to wrap his head around the idea and understand it and that's pretty tame by his standards.  Maybe I got lucky, maybe I just happen to live in circles that are more prone to accepting this sort of thing, either way I'm glad I can be open and comfortable about it, I know not everyone has that luxury. 

• Brohoof 1

My mom is the only one who seemed to care but she's come to understand why I like it now so she doesn't seem to care anymore lol she still doesn't get why I like the show but she also thinks it's silly I watch any cartoons and anime so she just deals with it XD

My Father was a little confused and asked me : " Really? Are you Serious? " but not in an angry tone, he was actually smiling. So i guess he said it more as a joke.

Then i told him, that i cant just watch Horror Movies all the time.

But then he said, that i still could find something better to watch.

Then i replied with : " Hey, at least i dont watch Barbie. " As a Joke. ( even though i also watched Barbie sometimes...but thats not important.  :lol: )

Then my Dad said something like : " Im pretty sure, My Little Pony is worse than Barbie. "

Yeah...he was disappointed from me.  :sunny:

I mean sure, i understand that, it is strange, being an Adult Man, watching My Little Pony, Barbie or anything of that sort.

So, i just never mentioned it again and i think he just forgot about it.

Then i told my Mom, she reacted completely different, she was surprised that i would watch that, i also explained to her, that i couldnt just watch Horror Movies at the time.

Because i had literally no other excuse.

She simply replied with ok.

Than we watched the first short Mlp Movie and she found it cute. Than we pretty much never talked about it again.

My Sister...i think she just didnt care. I told her i like Mlp, she was just laughing.

Not in a : "  Ha, youre a Child ! " way, more like a friendly laugh.

She also had a boyfriend, who also liked Mlp, so she already knew about Bronies.  :lol:

I never told any of my Friends.

Because i have none. I mean in real life. Every one of my Friends here, know that im a Brony, because we are in an Mlp Forum.

So telling them, would not really make much sense.

Edited by Supergirl Rarity
  • Brohoof 1

All of my close friends know and they don't mind it at all. They kind of knew me for liking weird things and didn't take it as much. I actually think one of my friends became one after he heard I was one. He might have been one before but I'm not sure. None of my family knows except my sister and she doesn't really know what a brony is anyway.

• Brohoof 1

My parents know, they don't care. I didn't tell'em like "mom, dad, I'm brony" cuz that would be weird, I just let them know in a conversation. I told my best friend and I'm open about it to other friends I talk with and play games, but I don't say it in school. My reputation in school is somewhat "we don't bully you, basically we like you, but you won't ever be cool, so stick to us and don't do anything stupid" so I don't want to suddenly be picked on for being a brony.

• Brohoof 1

The general reaction when I was in North Dakota was usually either negative or neutral (except in bigger cities; I got a little bit more of a positive reception there).

Here in Washington, I haven't really seen negative reactions. Most people don't notice at all. A couple little kids giggled at my Rainbow Dash hat, but even more have complimented it.

I feel a lot more welcome here.

• Brohoof 1

In my case it's nothing very special.

Most of people reacted just "ok :)", sometimes some people just could't believe but I never had any offensive reacts, maybe except middle school but I think that's normal in middle schools (or only my middle school was that bad).

Edited by Yarishia

I went through that annoying phase where I thought I could convince other people to either watch the show or see the show differently, but once that inevitably subsided no one particularly cared.  The people who cared about me before continued to care about me.  If someone ditches or condemns you because you watch MLP:FIM, you're likely better off without them.

• Brohoof 2

A lot of people think its weird but I'm also at a point where people just mostly shrug it off. Its just not worth being superficial over in most people eyes. 

Well, my family began to realize I had an interest in MLP on by birthday a couple years ago when I wanted a Rainbow Dash from Build-a-Bear. A couple months later, I finally began watching the show and they didn't really seem to care. They knew I was going through a difficult time due to my torn ACL and they realized I needed something light-hearted to get me through the recovery. After I recovered and was back to normal, they went through a period of time when they said I was getting too old for ponies, although they never brought it up much. Now whenever my mom takes me shopping at a flea market and I'm looking for ponies, she actually says "Toy alert" when she sees a booth selling toys, especially ponies. It's pretty fun, actually. Both my parents now are showing an interest in getting to know the show since I love it so much.

I told my cousins, some of my friends, and even some of my coworkers. None of them cared, minus a friendly laugh :)

Everyone thought I'm joking... honestly I believe that the majority still thinks that. :D

But overall I got a pretty good feedback. Even got a couple of people to change their opinion about bronies to the positive. ^^

• Brohoof 1

They either didn't care or "supported" me - both of which are things any reasonable person ought to do. I put "supported" in quotations because my interest in television isn't really something to support, it's really not even relevant. I even got two of my friends to be bronies back in the day. That's a blast from the past, though. c:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't make it very obvious that I am a brony, but I am such a weird guy anyways that people kind of just brush it off as "I should have seen that coming"

I am weird and I am proud of it. As long as you are confident with your weirdness, people seem to just accept it. 

Edited by El Duderino
  • Brohoof 1

Most of my family is fine with it, and whenever I've worn MLP clothing in public, I've gotten no reaction except for at conventions where other bronies compliment a shirt I'm wearing. Almost no one at my school knows I'm a brony, cause I think people will react negatively (this is high school btw). And the thing is, I live in a pretty small town, where I usually run into people I know. Which is why when I wear something pony related, it's when I'm at least 20 minutes away from where I live.