Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it a good idea for Shining Armor to ever become an Alicorn?

Foxy Socks

There is another topic about why he isn't an Alicorn, but would it actually be a good idea for him? We already have five now, and they all are princesses of course. I am for it since we haven't had a prince Alicorn yet, and he seems to be perfect to be one. He is related to one after all :P

I can see why people may be against this too, as again, we have five already. Honestly though, I don't see a big deal with six either, as long as there wouldn't be too many added. So, what are your opinions?

Alicorn princes don't seem to exist in proper FiM at this point, but I don't see the point to Shining being one anyways, other than the fact that he is a prince. Other than that tidbit, it doesn't match him much at all.

• Brohoof 1

Nope. Shining Armor is fine just the way he is! 

It's like my own relationship: my wife is super awesome, and I'll never be as super awesome as her. And that's okay.

In a way, I am a mere unicorn, and she is an alicorn. :D

• Brohoof 4

It's like my own relationship: my wife is super awesome, and I'll never be as super awesome as her. And that's okay.

What he said goes for me. This is why her OC is a unicorn and mine is an Earth Pony. Every little thing she does is magic ;)

• Brohoof 3

I wouldn't mind shining becoming an alicorn: But at the same time I don't think its NEEDED.

the thing is, for shining armor to ascend, it'd have to have him accomplishing some big event revolving around him for it to narratively work; Otherwise it'd just be out of nowhere with him just being like "oh yeah, I woke up today as an alicorn for no reason".

You'd need a plot or arc of him being very important and doing something spectacular, most probably dealing with the crystal heart or whatnot. And the thing is, I just don't want an entire arc dedicated to him in the show.
so I wouldn't MIND him becoming an alicorn and think it would MAKE SENSE. but I don't want screentime taken away to do that: Like, if they want to do a 4 part comic or something where that happens AFTER the show ends? Sure, why not, I'd read it. But don't steal screentime that could be used for the mane six or spike for a shining armor arc.

What he said goes for me. This is why her OC is a unicorn and mine is an Earth Pony. Every little thing she does is magic ;)

Awwww hnngg you two~ So cute  :rarity:

If the writing staff of FiM do decide to put forth some effort in having male roles step up rank in the show I would definitely welcome it. Shining's a great leader.

Truthfully there has to be some purpose for it. One of the only gripes I have with Flurry Heart was a perceived lack of purpose for her being an Alicorn outside of a catalyst for an accidental crisis. She is basically an Alicorn ... because reasons. This wouldn't be as big of a concern, but they narratively set it up for her to have a specific purpose with the throw away line about no Alicorns being born. I will reserve judgment until the season plays out .. because the last three seasons they have connected the finale with the premiere.  

Why mention Flurry Heart? Shining would need to ascend because it makes sense beyond just wanting a Stallion Alicorn. It needs a thematic element to tie into. It is hard to buy it until a character is better developed. Luckily his last two appearances showed promise for character growth. Is it a good idea? No ... because we need to see him as a fully developed character first ... otherwise it is an unearned change in status quo. 

Narratively, I don't really see a purpose to it. Maybe it'd be relevant to his status as the consort of a princess, but otherwise there's not much weight to the question -- unless, perhaps, we believe that Cadance has an extended lifespan, in which case Shining might want to ascend just to save her the heartbreak. But that's not really my headcanon.

With that said, it's worth noting that he is an essential part of the relationship which Cadance represents. She is the princess of love, but he is the object of her love, which is significant. Much like with Twilight's friendships, I do wonder about Shining's role in that.