Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rikifive

Btw a little offtopic but I just wanted to share what I came up with when trying to figure out what combat class each pony could have if they were FF characters. Twilight Sparkle - Red Mage (kinda like the groups jack of all trades) Rainbow Dash - Thief (fast and agile) Pinkie Pie - Ranger (special high damage ranged attacks from use of cannon) Rarity - White Mage (many supportive abilities) Fluttershy - ? Applejack - Monk (non magic user with strong physical attacks) Fluttershy is harder. :blush:

Fluttershy is generally the most difficult to place in games like this.  I don't know if there's a summoner class in D&D or an animal-talking class, but maybe that's where Fluttershy would end up?

I think that, in a game like "Equestria Chronicles" (I can't remember if that's exactly the right name for it), Fluttershy's stats were a blank slate that the user could do whatever they wanted with.  Probably because it's that hard to figure out what to do with her!

In my own fangame, I ended up making Fluttershy a Glass Cannon, though that was kind of because that's more or less how she was in the fanfic I (loosely) based my game on; long story short, she summoned animals that could lure enemies away and clear out a whole room quickly.  In the fic, Fluttershy didn't do damage per se, but what she did was as effective as damage for the purposes of gameplay.

• Brohoof 1

I would like to try my hoof at this   I just got my hands on a poseable MLP doll (Coco Pommel) that I can use as a reference.  Plus, if I open your WIP animation of Twilight in Windows Photo Gallery, it lets me see each of the seven frames individually, so I can pose Coco Pommel for each frame, take a picture of her in each of the 8 directions, and create a base from there.

Oh that's a nice strategy!  ^_^

If nothing else, the bases might help you figure out what resolutions do and don't work.

Oh yes, they will. I can't make menus and such, because I have no idea what will be the resolution (size of the things like sprites, to be more specific). Having sprites would allow me to set the correct resolution (scale), to make things visible for players. So when I'd get the main gameplay screen done, then I could start working on menus with that size.

For example I can't make high-res menus, if sprites will be tiny.  :twi:

One more thing about the compare/contrast video that I'd wanted to say in the video, but didn't (partly because Nintendo's too trigger-happy with their claims):  New Super Mario Bros actually strikes a pretty good compromise between "Look at our awesome artwork up close!" and "We need to keep the camera zoomed out so the player can see what's going on":  the levels start out zoomed in a bit on Mario, but after a few seconds, the camera subtly zooms out.  I'm not sure whether that technique will be useful for MLP The Game, but I figured it'd be worth bringing up.

Actually I think that's kinda unnecessary, but there might be something done if there'll be a need. For example, zooming in camera when being in buildings and such.

EDIT:  Actually, I could use some information from you:  how flexible are the tools you're using when it comes to the dimensions of an individual character?  70x60 might work well for a pony going straight left/right, but if the pony is moving diagonally, then that might end up being more like 70x70 or something like that.   I just need to know whether the images all need to be of the same dimensions regardless of direction or not.

Actually you don't need to be worried about it.

For example walking right could have 100x100 and walking up could even have 600x700 and everything would work perfectly (though of course it would look kinda funny).

Each part of sprite sheet can be scripted separately, so all I need to do is to mark the drawing point (like center) of the sprites. That being said, there's nothing wrong if there will be blank spaces around the sprite, so there can be a 30x30 sprite within 100x100 image.

Even a single animation can have multiple dimensions for each frame - it animates sprites by running through frames, that are separate images. Though making it one-sized would allow me to create that animation automatically, by cutting the sheet into pieces by giving dimensions. One of the ways to work with that is for example setting dimensions to 600x100 with a 100x100 grid and then draw sprites in centers of these frames, even as tiny as 20x20. - That would give some extra space for some frames that would need it and still would work nicely. But it all can be done manually, so even separate images for each frame of animation could be nicely merged to make it all work. It doesn't have to be a one giant sprite sheet.  :)

So there's a freedom.  ;)

This looks SO AWESOME! Will there be an option to make your own pony?

YAY Thank you!  :pinkie:

As for making your own pony - I don't think there will be such a possibility as there's really no need for that. There will be many playable characters already, changing dependable on the part of the story. Making own characters would simply make them out of place. I plan to perhaps add some unlockable ponies though, but all of that would be after completing the game once. It's just an idea, but I'm not sure of how things will go, so I can't really say anything more at the moment.

Sorry if that's disappointing.  :rarity:

How's it going with the elements used in game, are you going to keep those or simplify the system? 

To this day I'm wondering on that one. Setting up the base mechanics is pretty challenging.

I was considering many possibilities, but it's still hard to decide. I think I'll keep these as they are now, at least for now. It always can be changed it future if needed.

As for classes - Fluttershy will be focusing on healing and buffing the party. Additionally, she can ask her animals for help to perform attacks.

Rarity actually will be focused more towards offense. She will be using gems to attack or block projectiles.

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for the information about the image sizes!

Anyhow, I've just finished trying out my photographing and tracing techniques for making bases, and here's what I've come up with so far.  Do you think it'll be useful?  If so, I'll try putting together some animations:

post-29126-0-40311400-1477700502.png

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@EmeraldStar04, Why thank you! :pinkie:  

Sadly, I have no idea. The most accurate answer I can give at the moment is "When it will be done". I can't even estimate the date, as it may go once faster, once slower, so I don't want to give wrong answers, that will result in disappointment when having delays. I don't want to give promises, that I'm not sure I'll be able to keep. I'm sorry if it isn't the answer you were hoping for, but I hope you'll understand.  :squee:

@@HereComesTom, Wow, you're fast!  :-o

They're looking really nice, great work!

It's hard to judge when seeing only base ~ but I think they're decent. The only thing, that catches my attention is sprite of walking left/right - I think the hooves are kinda too big and they make the pony look fat a little? And back hooves have kinda weird shape?   :squee:  Though I'm not sure, because it's harder when there are no details like tail/mane/eyes ~. Other than that the rest seem to be really well done, I love the diagonal sprites.  :wub:

Also, I think, that just flipping the sprite would be enough, so only 5 directions would be needed. Even in the show ponies are flipped, because some of them would look weird if the mane would be shown from the other side, such as Vinyl Scratch's.

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

They're looking really nice, great work! It's hard to judge when seeing only base ~ but I think they're decent. The only thing, that catches my attention is sprite of walking left/right - I think the hooves are kinda too big and they make the pony look fat a little? And back hooves have kinda weird shape? :squee: Though I'm not sure, because it's harder when there are no details like tail/mane/eyes ~. Other than that the rest seem to be really well done, I love the diagonal sprites. :wub: Also, I think, that just flipping the sprite would be enough, so only 5 directions would be needed. Even in the show ponies are flipped, because some of them would look weird if the mane would be shown from the other side, such as Vinyl Scratch's.

I'd probably have been even faster if I'd thought to use GIMP2's select-by-color functionality after I drew a trace of the outlines...I'll try to remember that feature in the future; I did these in MS Paint, and the time-consuming part was erasing the photograph-parts of each image after I'd drawn the red/blue/magenta lines.  GIMP2 would've been MUCH faster in retrospect!

Thanks for the feedback on the sprites; now that I look at the legs again on the left-right images, they could stand some touching up---I'm thinking the forelegs need to be shrunk a pixel or two horizontally, and you're right; I need to rethink the shape on the hind legs. 

Anyhow, now that you've had a chance to look at the base images with these dimensions (75 x 75 pixels in these cases), should I try making animations using these techniques?  Would it be a better idea to try for a size larger than 75x75, or smaller?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You can always use layers in GIMP, so that you're just drawing outlines and then simply making the photo-layer invisible.

Oh yeah, shrinking them should be a good idea.

I'm honestly not sure about the size - higher means higher difficulty. There'll be a need to make many animations, so it's worth keeping this in mind.
I think it would be best to try fill the bases and see how they look like before animating them, to minimize potential wasted work.
I went ahead and quickly tried to fill the base of diagonal walking with Twilight's look:
goO2TtN.png
I know it's not the best quality (I mean my edit, not your base), but I just wanted to quickly test how stuff will work.
While the body itself is fine I think, I'm kinda worried about the head. She looks pretty 'manly' I believe?

I've tried putting my hoof on this and after some struggles, I came up with this:

jdRcULV.png

I'm not hiding, that it's heavily inspired by references found here and there (including your bases ~perspective). It's not like I did all of that from my memory, though partially maybe yes as I was toying with pixels to make it look acceptable.
It's about the same size as I did with left/right. What do you think?

And you know what? ~  I believe, that the size from my first WIP version will be good enough ~ not too small making it look totally 8-bit and not too big to have to struggle with all these pixels.

Actually thanks to you, I was motivated to do something, even though I haven't slept yet and it's morning already.  :P
Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

@@BlackLiquidSrw, Thank you, though don't judge the other base as I totally destroyed that work with my extremely silly and fast edit. Honestly the base in general was well made, only the head would require some tweaking as it looked kinda like a male pony (The nose was too big in general I believe). Also, from my experience dolls and figurines aren't always perfectly shaped. For some strange reason Hasbro makes weirdly inaccurate, sometimes even simply ugly toys. It's actually pretty mixed - sometimes they're perfectly made, that you can easily love them, but sometimes they're quite scary, but I believe it looks different from child's perspective, so I'm sure I shouldn't be whining.  :grin: Basically what I want to say is, that dolls usually look kinda fat, when comparing to ponies from the show, so that's what made it more difficult. I'm actually curious how that doll looked like.  :catface:

I think I'll just stick to the ones I've made as they're closer to completion and will work with the other sprite.

I feel so bad for not using Tom's sprites, but I'm still thankful for help as his sprites will give me an extra reference, which is nice.

Also, from my experience dolls and figurines aren't always perfectly shaped.

That's pretty much the story of why the muzzles look the way they do.

I feel so bad for not using Tom's sprites, but I'm still thankful for help as his sprites will give me an extra reference, which is nice.

Don't feel bad at all!  Do whatever works for your game.  I'm glad I gave you something to start with!

Sleep well!

• Brohoof 1

Is there a home site? How long have they been working on it since the new engine? How often will they show progress updates? Thats how we know its legitimate if we want to choose to support it on patreon or wherever, which could also be useful information. When is the expected release date?

Oh you are part of the team. Well similar ideas apply, a patreon could help support the project longer and showing progress is a great way to keep interest and show legitimacy. 

Edited by Lil Pip
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
That's pretty much the story of why the muzzles look the way they do.

Yeah, but that was a nice idea. Only if the doll would be accurately shaped...

Don't feel bad at all!  Do whatever works for your game.  I'm glad I gave you something to start with!   Sleep well!

I see, thank you very much for your time. (=

Oh right, I should go to sleep, since I haven't slept for 35 hours now and I'm really tired. Thanks and good night!  ^_^

@@Lil Pip, I perfectly know what you mean, but things aren't that simple as it seems.

Is there a home site?

At the moment, no. 

I admit, I wanted to setup one, though I'm not sure what service would be most suitable and convenient. I know one thing though - the site would be rather silly as I wouldn't be able to buy a domain. Simply because it's not really worth it and me having a different, less valuable currency doesn't help at all. So as long as there would be a nice and free way, then I could spend some time to make one.

How long have they been working on it since the new engine?

The project has been moved on 23rd September 2016, which gives slightly more than a month.

How often will they show progress updates?

Each time there'll be something noteworthy to show or tell.

Beginnings are extremely slow, but I hope, that it will get faster later, when the base configuration will be done.

The game needs to be scripted from scratch, so all I can show at the moment are piece of codes, that handle the base mechanics like parameters. Not really much to show there.

Also, RPG's is one of the most difficult and time consuming genres to make, as it requires tons of maths and walls of script codes to make it all work, so I really apologize if it will take forever. If that would be a platformer game, then I swear I'd have tons of things to show within that month. (That being said, I made a ~15min length demo of a platformer game within a week for a contest) Also please keep in mind, that currently I'm mostly working on this project alone. Besides volunteers for making music, playtesting the game and giving some ideas/help, there's nopony else officially working on that game at the moment.  :rarity:

After the base mechanics/look would be done, then perhaps an update per week or two would be possible? The amount of required work here i gigantic.

Thats how we know its legitimate if we want to choose to support it on patreon or wherever, which could also be useful information.

That's why I don't have a patreon.  :squee:

I'm not going to lie - I'm working on that game with pure love towards the show. I don't want to ask for money, bother other ponies, nor anything like this, because I don't think I deserve any of this.

I really don't want to promise things and possibly fail in the end. Besides, keep in mind, that it's just a fan-game, nothing officially connected with Hasbro, so there is a possibility, that I'll get a C&D from them and will be forced to cancel the project. And then I can only imagine the huge scale of disappointment, that it would cause when some ponies would actually donate. I'd have money, that I wouldn't deserve to have.

I don't want to be like "Hey everypony! I'm making an awesome pony game! Please donate me to make this game better!", while not being sure if the game will ever see the light.

When is the expected release date?

Definitely not anytime soon. It's really hard to tell anything at the moment. I prefer to say the truth, than promise things and fail, because that's a common mistake, that game developers can make.

It'll take longer, because I'm putting all of my heart into this game. I don't want to quickly make a random-looking RPG made out of puzzles in RPG Maker or something.

Don't get me wrong though. I really, really wish I could spend all days on that project and even make it my job, but the sad truth is, that my real life isn't that colorful.

I have a job, that I don't really like, so my free time is really limited. I mostly work on the game on weekends, which is just terrible, but what can I do?  :( Either continue the hobby or just give up right away. I know it all doesn't sound good, but I don't want to give up.

I know I'm not a worthy developer and I'm sorry, but I'm really doing my best while struggling with real life...

Anyway thank you for visiting, I really appreciate the advice, you have gave.  :fluttershy:  

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 2

Definitely not anytime soon. It's really hard to tell anything at the moment. I prefer to say the truth, than promise things and fail, because that's a common mistake, that game developers can make.

It'll take longer, because I'm putting all of my heart into this game. I don't want to quickly make a random-looking RPG made out of puzzles in RPG Maker or something.

Don't get me wrong though. I really, really wish I could spend all days on that project and even make it my job, but the sad truth is, that my real life isn't that colorful.

I have a job, that I don't really like, so my free time is really limited. I mostly work on the game on weekends, which is just terrible, but what can I do?  :( Either continue the hobby or just give up right away. I know it all doesn't sound good, but I don't want to give up.

I know I'm not a worthy developer and I'm sorry, but I'm really doing my best while struggling with real life...

Anyway thank you for visiting, I really appreciate the advice, you have gave.  :fluttershy:  

I know exactly what that is like. Being a developer myself and having a full-time job, it is difficult to find time to work on a project that I love and keeping at it. I admire your determination. Keep it up! You have my support.  :P

Knowing that a project is coming together, even when times are slow, fills you with determination.  ;)

• Brohoof 2

Never give up :P .Divide your progress of creating on parts.Select a part for which you will have time and for which need more attention from your side.After this step by step complete your work. :squee:

• Brohoof 1

@@Luckygamerdx, YAY!  :yay: I hope to not disappoint you!  :)

@@compro51, We're in exactly the same situation then.  :P You made me curious about your projects.  :ooh: What are you working on there?  :fluttershy:

Yup! Thank you for words of encouragement and support.  :rarity:

@@FTFire, Yeah! ^_^  Mhm, that's what I'm doing. Working on different things from time to time and merging it together.  :)

Thank you for visiting and your support!  :)

I know exactly what that is like. Being a developer myself and having a full-time job, it is difficult to find time to work on a project that I love and keeping at it. I admire your determination. Keep it up! You have my support. :P Knowing that a project is coming together, even when times are slow, fills you with determination. ;)

What I do with WFM is I always make sure I do at least one thing each day for my project---even if it's something as small as backing up my work.  It's kept me going for about four years now.

I hope MLP The Game doesn't take near that long, though!  (Then again, you're not making it and an editor for your game from scratch in Java, so it probably won't.)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
I hope MLP The Game doesn't take near that long, though!  (Then again, you're not making it and an editor for your game from scratch in Java, so it probably won't.)

I hope it won't...  :P

Editor maybe not - managing files, scripts, highlighting syntax and stuff like this comes with the software, yet the game itself needs to be written from scratch.

For example opening a new project and hitting 'playtest' will give you nothing. You need to create things from scratch starting from configuring the scene/room, where you'll be drawing stuff then programming all the objects, mechanics and stuff to make it all work.

The hardest parts are actually the beginnings I think, because you really need to think ahead to organize your variables properly, so that you'll not have troubles in future or what's worse, have to rewrite them.  :twi:

But still, when I was writing games in Ruby, then I wasn't making any editors, nor stuff like this. I was just scripting the whole level directly in scripts along with the mechanics and objects, which was actually pretty lame as it required manually setting positions.. and lots of them.. but it all was working in the end.  :-P

My workaround was to draw a map in a .png file, then specify the spawning positions for objects, dependable on x/y position of the part of the image. Time consuming, that's true, yet effective as well. Another difference was, that I didn't have stuff displayed visually, but all in numbers and letters. I'm TOO PRO for fancy things.  :lol:  Oh and of course I wasn't making maps using tiles, now that would take forever. I was just drawing images (think of parallax maps) and pixel-color detection was checking for solid blocks. I know it wasn't a well optimized way to achieve that, but well. At least I was using a separate image with only color marks, so the image responsible for solid block detection wasn't that heavy. :adorkable:

Edited by Rikifive

I have another kind of weird idea---but have you got a use for some of the gem-item or fireball sprites from my game?  I have seven different colors of fireball at the moment, and they're animated so that the trail behind the main fireball is slightly randomized so that it looks like colored smoke trailing behind the fireball; I can give you a sample here if you'd like:

post-29126-0-51586700-1478131161.gif

And here's a sample of the gem-sprites.  I'm not sure if you're planning to have gems as collectible items in MLP the Game, but if you've got a use for them, go right ahead!

post-29126-0-20123900-1478131560.png

• Brohoof 2

Skills are yet to be designed, so I'm not sure at the moment, but perhaps?

As for gems - I plan to add collectible gems ~ what is more, ponies will be able to use them to slightly raise their stats. Rarity might have some extra use for them as well.

I'm not sure about the size and style of the icons, that will appear in game yet, I'll need to design basic stuff first.

Though at least - as always, extra references are appreciated! Thanks! :3

• Brohoof 2