Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think would happen if you break off a horn from an unicorn?

leonbrony17

First: For those who misunderstand me sometimes.

I would NEVER do that.

Second: I think a big rainbow would sprinkle out of it. (My funny answer)

Third: I think i would be extremly painfull and they would die. (My serious answer)

Fourth: What would you think would happen if you break off a horn of an unicorn?

post-39706-0-86378200-1478557785_thumb.png

My answer: none of the above.

Would it be painful?  Maybe, but assuming the horn is made of 100% keratin, then no, cutting off a unicorn's horn would have the same level of pain one could expect from cutting one's toenails.

As for the consequences, what's most likely to happen as a result of the destruction of the horn could go in any direction.  The disruption of the flow of magic could mean that they are never able to cast spells again.  A procedure to reconstruct their horn seems viable, and it is possible that, with extensive therapy, the horn could be usable again, but I doubt that they would ever be able to cast spells higher than your basic level.

The unicorn would get very, very angry.  :wacko:

I don't think they'd die necessarily (at the end of the day, I'd see it as being akin to a human losing an ear or an eye (irritating, but not fatal)). As for whether or not they could still do magic ... I'd say yes. I view the horn as being a focus for control - like a wand - rather than as the place where a unicorn's magic actually resides. 

I would imagine it would be pretty traumatic, just like the loss of any major appendage on any being. I dunno if they would be in pain or not... depends on what the horn is made of honestly... my guess is it would probably be at the very least highly uncomfortable... Also I would imagine it would be somewhat difficult for them to adjust to life without it, since they use their horns for so many basic functions.

• Brohoof 1

If the horn is just like the horn of say, a rhino, or the fingernails of humans, then it probably wouldn't hurt them. It would cause inconvenience as they wouldn't be able to control their magic, and they might take offence to someone who would sever something that was essential to their way of life. Unfortunately, in some RPGs, unicorn horns are seen as a commodity. I don't really need to explain that any further as the image you can picture will suffice.