Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone here like the EU?

zerox

I really like the EU and the stuff that it offers.

I like the Euro currency, Schengen, the internal market,...etc

So is anyone here that also likes the EU or the EU idea/concept?

Edited by zerox
  • Brohoof 1

well, it makes travel easier if you're in europe. Also you don't have to exchange your money at every border.  

It's also easier to buy stuff from other countries. I order a lot of stuff from Germany or the uk

It was fine when it was just an economic union. They've overstepped their boundaries in recent years though. I give the EU another 5 years before enough states vote to leave that it becomes unsustainable and collapses.

• Brohoof 3

I don't like it. I don't like the idea of having Britain pay to leave, the people voted to leave, now let them. I never liked the concept of having blocs / alliances / etc. Open borders makes it easier for terrorists to go around and do terrorism and then leave the country they are in. 

Edited by StarlightTrixie
  • Brohoof 2

I like the Euro currency, Schengen, the internal market,...etc

The Euro has proved to be troublesome, due to varying economic policies as far as I understand it,  but I'm a huge fan of the rest of it. Pan-European free trade, free movement, free speech, democracy and human rights... the idea would have sounded ludicrous fifty years ago, but we managed it. 

And now I have to hope that it all falls apart before the UK leaves so that they don't make an example out of us. Ah well - pick up the pieces and start again, we'll get it right eventually.

• Brohoof 1

The Eurozone would be fine if they hadn't let in all the poorer Mediterranean countries. I like the idea and it definitely helped stabilize Europe after two devastating world wars.  But it has perhaps overstayed its welcome; Germany, France, and the UK are obviously not going to war against each other anytime soon so not much need for it now. It does perhaps make it easier for the US to influence European geopolitics but with Britain leaving I'm not sure how much pull the US is going to have. They still have NATO though(for now...). 

• Brohoof 1

The Euro has proved to be troublesome, due to varying economic policies as far as I understand it,  but I'm a huge fan of the rest of it. Pan-European free trade, free movement, free speech, democracy and human rights... the idea would have sounded ludicrous fifty years ago, but we managed it. 

And now I have to hope that it all falls apart before the UK leaves so that they don't make an example out of us. Ah well - pick up the pieces and start again, we'll get it right eventually.

I don't think that the EU will fall apart because the UK is leaving. The UK was never very integrated into the EU like the other countries. For the UK I hope that they will do a soft brexit and that they will stay in the internal market and that they will accept free movement of people and in return get to stay in the internal market.

btw are you from the UK?

Edited by zerox

I don't think that the EU will fall apart because the UK is leaving. The UK was never very integrated into the EU like the other countries. For the UK I hope that they will do a soft brexit and that they will stay in the internal market and that they will accept free movement of people and in return get to stay in the internal market.   btw are you from the UK?

Yes, I'm from the UK.

Whilst a soft brexit would certainly be my preference (well, no brexit at all would be best) the PM is playing to the anti-immigration crowd and promising restrictions on freedom of movement. Whilst we may be able to get some token deal that makes it look like we can control immigration, it seems that she rates the issue above the economy, so I don't hold out too much hope. 

By itself, brexit wouldn't break the EU (if anything it would allow better integration), but it has emboldened anti-EU nationalist groups across the continent. I suspect that the fate of the EU as it exists now will depend on what happens in France and Germany in their upcoming elections. The Front National and Alternative fur Deutschland (pardon spelling) are both anti-EU and look set to make gains in France and Germany respectively - they don't even need to do that well, just well enough to influence mainstream politics as UKIP did in the UK. Germany especially is the heart of the EU, so if it goes anti-EU then I suspect that the EU as it stands is done for. 

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I'm from the UK.

Whilst a soft brexit would certainly be my preference (well, no brexit at all would be best) the PM is playing to the anti-immigration crowd and promising restrictions on freedom of movement. Whilst we may be able to get some token deal that makes it look like we can control immigration, it seems that she rates the issue above the economy, so I don't hold out too much hope. 

By itself, brexit wouldn't break the EU (if anything it would allow better integration), but it has emboldened anti-EU nationalist groups across the continent. I suspect that the fate of the EU as it exists now will depend on what happens in France and Germany in their upcoming elections. The Front National and Alternative fur Deutschland (pardon spelling) are both anti-EU and look set to make gains in France and Germany respectively - they don't even need to do that well, just well enough to influence mainstream politics as UKIP did in the UK. Germany especially is the heart of the EU, so if it goes anti-EU then I suspect that the EU as it stands is done for. 

Yes I agree that if Germany left that the EU would probably fall apart soon after that decision. I hope that one day europe will be united in someway be that the EU or not.

I have seen only benefits for my country after it entered the EU. I love the Schengen and the internal market (I buy lots of stuff from germany or the UK)

• Brohoof 1

It does make things quite easier (like said above with currency and going to other countries), but yeah, the EU has gone insane with many things as of recent. I also do like, however, how strict they are on privacy, unlike the US with the NSA and the draconian spying laws.

I love the EU and all it has to offer. Makes things a lot easier in terms of travel and so forth. There's definitely things to improve upon, like getting rid of the stupid ass EU travelling circus with ministers decamping from Belgium to France once a month and vice versa.

But should it be cast away and dissolved? No!

Edited by Guest