Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I can't really be sure what it was that made me decide to go through with it, but about 2 months ago I decided that I wanted to do what I have wanted to do for a long time, and finally went vegetarian. So far it has been fairly easy, and I have not had any real cravings for meat, which doesn't really surprise me seeing that even before making it officially I never really ate too much meat. In anycase support has been good, but my parents still seem a little...slow(?) taking up on it. I guess they just are not sure how serious I am, but given time, I am positive that things will settle in.

The reasons I decided to make the change was while I had no problem eating meat, I just never felt comfortable doing so. And really, I believe it will be more practical as I don't have too much need for the protein as I don't work out enought for it to be of any use. I am not doing this because of wieght, and while i am slight overwieght, I know that has more to do with getting out, or more specificly, my lack of. Really it just makes me feel more comfortable, and that I feel is all the reason I need.

Is there anyone else here who is vegetarian, or vegan even? What made you decide to go to that?

I've been a vegan for about six months now! I did it mostly for health reasons, but I do find myself still craving meat sometimes.

• Brohoof 2

Make sure you eat enough things like beans a nuts to make sure you get the protein your body needs.

This. Just because you don't work out doesn't mean you don't need protein. No protein = no energy.

• Brohoof 1

Pretty much what everyone else said.

It's very easy to keep meat cravings to the side (partly thanks to those veggie burgers and what not)

But you just need to make sure your body is getting all the stuff it needs, i've known a few people who went veggie and forgot to include certain things into the diet.

I give you tons of points for going vegetarian. I can't go completely without some form of meat. I am thinking about going pescatarian,(sp?) I can handle having seafood as my only meat. I did give tofu a try (after making fun of it for years) and now i can't stop eating it! Slowed down on the red meat. I hardly eat hamburger meat anymore.

I'm a vegetarian though I do eat seafood on occasion. The main reason is I feel like crap for eating something with a heart/face, and the the way animals are treated and how unhelathy some of the things they are given are. I eat organic and a lot of beans and nuts though.

I never get cravings and I've been vegetarian for...two, three years? People act like it's soooo hard but I find it easy. You just have to be careful not to eat too many carbs.

I don't like the idea of vegetarism, but I got nothing against those who are vegetarians.

I can't even imagine myself not eating meat.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Your choice, I can not take being vegetarian personally, but 1 tip.

In cheese there is something that they call rennet, it's from animals and not vegetarian, so be carefull when you eat mac and cheese :-)

a lot of candy also have things that come from animals :S

(edited)

Is there anyone else here who is vegetarian, or vegan even? What made you decide to go to that?

I went vegan about 8 months ago, but gradually slipped back into eating some dairy and meat products. It would have been easy, but my parents are always pushing non-vegan stuff on me and get offended if I don't eat it. I still don't eat eggs or much non-vegan food.

It's not ethical to eat meat or eggs because of animal suffering. It's also healthier to be vegan, but much less enjoyable. Everything is at least partially unethical though. The computer I'm typing this reply on right now is made of materials that were procured, assembled, and probably even shipped in morally dubious ways. Trying to be a vegan helped me come to terms with the fact that I am not a "good person" in an absolute sense. I, like everyone else, am morally ambiguous. I try to be as good as I can be though.

Edited by SageWise
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not actually vegan, but if you looked at my diet, you'd think I was. My parents tend not to serve me meat.

I was vegan for 3 years. Now I live in an area where being vegan meant having nothing readily available, so I had to switch over to vegetarian. I am currently vegetarian, but I am moving to a city and may go back to being vegan once I get there. I have been off of meat for 6.5 years now.

It's great to get a healthier diet, but like said before, include everything your body needs in it.

I don't think I could start being a vegeterian/vegan: honestly, meat-containing foods are (in my opinion) usually better tasting than the ones without . If I would become a vegetarian/vegan, I would know that there's better tasting food available, and I probably couldn't resist changing back ^_^. But that's just my my opinion, I know some people like vegetarian food because of the taste.

I was a vegetarian for a while, partly because I wanted myself to eat more vegetables. And frankly I found out so much more about vegetables while I was a vegetarian - so many tasty sauces.... *w*

And the soy products are actually pretty good tasting in my opinion. ~ OH AND I LOVE TOFU! (because I love mild flavors ^w^)

I don't really eat too much meat nowadays. It's not like I'm avoiding it, I just don't have a craving for it. For example, I just don't like pork. The texture, the flavor... not my thing anymore, I guess.

If you want to be healthy, follow the Japanese diet, how many fat Japanese people do you see? Not many, they're all skinny, they have the lowest obesity rate in the world and the longest life expectancy.

I used to be vegetarian, maybe for a year or to. It was due to the cruelty of supporting animal farms by eating meat. Now I eat meat, but not very much.

If you want to be healthy, follow the Japanese diet, how many fat Japanese people do you see? Not many, they're all skinny, they have the lowest obesity rate in the world and the longest life expectancy.

Ever heard of sumos? XD

Jokes aside, it's perfectly fine to be vegetarian and your reasoning behind it is perfectly normal, but one thing that you should keep in mind is that a vegetarian should NOT have a lower protein diet than someone who eats meat. Your body needs those proteins to be healthy. Even if you say that you don't work out a lot. So make sure to eat lots of beans, nuts etc.

Ever heard of sumos? XD

Jokes aside, it's perfectly fine to be vegetarian and your reasoning behind it is perfectly normal, but one thing that you should keep in mind is that a vegetarian should NOT have a lower protein diet than someone who eats meat. Your body needs those proteins to be healthy. Even if you say that you don't work out a lot. So make sure to eat lots of beans, nuts etc.

THAT'S ALL MUSCLE

Beans beans the magical fruit, the more you eat the more... I'll stop :3