Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria is pretty damn frightening

ManaMinori

I mean, really. Things look all friendshippy and happy on the surface, but there are schools that groom unicorns to be ultimate op's, and these unicorns can perform forcible reform spells (Keep calm and Flutter on), or mind/ body control on a whim (lesson zero, Every Little thing she does, No second Prances), and then there's the government cover-ups (Lyra, Bon Bon, and the Mares of S.M.I.L.E), the attacks from vicious creatures that happen almost every week, the threat of freezing to death by wendigoes if you don't get along with your fellow pony. Pretty scary stuff.

Do you think Equestria, in spite of all of this, beats Earth, and all its problems?

• Brohoof 1

Equestria doesn't have problems that our world has: smoking, drugs, alcohol, discrimination, etc., but then it does have powerful beings who seek out world domination, monsters who attack for no reason, dangerous magic, secrets that are slowly rising to the surface, etc., so I'd say ponies were better off. Humans have the ability to destroy the earth and what they have is something that can't be stopped if it were to go through. Ponies could destroy Equestria yet they have means to prevent it such as blocking magic for instance.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, yes I do think Equestria beats Earth in terms of its problems vs ours. However, it is definitely a very frightening world, especially for those outside of Equestria as apparently Equestria has controlled the sun/moon cycle since even before Celestia and Luna, and there is evidence of slavery and racial inequality. Yeah, ponies aren't so good with other races and their hatred of ponies might actually be warranted, especially if you consider that any and all stories in the realm of FiM are presented from either the viewpoint of ponies or characters like Spike who are heavily influenced by their frequent interactions with them.

Also, it occurred to me that if ponies and other species are infused with magic then it's highly likely that even single-celled organisms are, which makes even the common cold sound that much more frightening and I can imagine the sky's the limit for what adverse effects magic-infused bacteria and viruses can have.

• Brohoof 1

I don't really think Equestria lacks real world evils despite they are only insinuated in the background or downplayed. I doubt Equestria lacks brutal crimes like murder, assault, and organized crimes to name a few

Equestria is terrifying country which breeds feeling of both love and hate.  I like Equestria because it is like ex Yugoslavia.  Yugoslavia everything looks good but internal problems.  Maybe Equestria have problems too between the different types of ponies.  Twilight Sparkle have magic powers but earth ponies don't like magic powers to use even though work is not earth pony ritual activity.  So that is the making of "racial" unrest or cultral difference as seen like in old Yugoslavia.  Very similar.  I am lucky grow up in seaside Montenegro to be safer from fighting, but it hurt the countries a lot and make them EX Yugoslavia.  Maybe this happen in Equestria sometime later in show?

My OCs would say that FiM is propaganda. It's Voice of America, but Equestria. Of course we'll never see any systemic problems.

But let's be real, it's a children's cartoon. It's not scary grim-dark Gotham, nor is it a utopia with a dark secret. It's what it looks like - a sweet little universe populated by ponies, controlled by magic, ruled by goddesses, and occasionally attacked by monsters. But the story isn't really about any of that. It's about the little problems every day ponies have... that could be avoided all-together if only they were more mature.

The only thing really odd about it all is the characters, including the adults, are still child-like, including the feral animals. They need magic and Celestia/Luna to pad the cold concrete walls of an otherwise hostile, uncaring universe. If you ever visited, you'd eventually grow tired of it and all of its easily avoidable problems... but that's because its not for us.

• Brohoof 2

Nah, there's far more frightening cartoon worlds to be in. Various Marvel/DC worlds, ATLA and Korra, MLP n Friends, Transformers, Naruto, Dragonball.

There's also the world of Generator Rex. Everyone's got nanites in their bodies, and it's only a matter of time until someone turns into an EVO.

• Brohoof 1