Why do not all ponies wear clothes?

SugarCoatxMarblePie

I think its because of all their shedding, imagine how stuck with hair your washing machine must be. Maybe that's why they clean it by hoof, but they probably have to take a bath first or more hairs would get on it. Coco Pommel must have it tough, she doesn't even have magic to clean her clothes like Rarity.

Which is another thing, that's prolly why unicorns are more upper class and more likely to wear clothes, their magic handles that far more easily. Filthy Rich prolly hires a maid to do it for him tho.

They have fur to help protect them from the elements, and their fur and tails also probably hide anything "Private" decently well, so if they care about that at all, they might feel that's covered fine normally.

We do see them wearing more clothes in harsher environments, like when it's really cold, outside of that they seem to be reserved for high class ponies to show off their wealth possibly, or for special events.

For some reason I've always seen ponies' clothing like people have accessories - they're not exactly necessary, but more likely just pleasant to wear when one feels like it. :D

Exhibitionism became standard after Celestia imprisoned Luna on the moon. Luna was in opposition to ponies having their floppy parts hanging out all the time, but Molestia insisted. After a heated argument on the matter, Luna transformed into Nightmare Moon in an attempt to overthrow her perverted sister's lustful tyranny, but, alas, Molestia had the Elements of Harmony on her side. After so many years of being forced to remain naked for the vast majority of their lives, the residing ponyfolk of Equestria eventually embraced the art of exhibitionism. It has become commonplace over a span of a few hundred years. Not all that hard to believe *shrugs* 

• Brohoof 1

At this point Ponyville, Manehattan, and Canterlot all have a well stocked fashion emporium. No excuses. Ponies go buy some clothes!

Seriously, clothing in Equestria appears to have taken less of a functional need and more of an artistic and personal expression medium. This is why I view Rarity's trade as one closer to a painter than an architect. 

47 minutes ago, Jaspers said:

For some reason I've always seen ponies' clothing like people have accessories - they're not exactly necessary, but more likely just pleasant to wear when one feels like it. :D

Along those lines, yes. 

1 hour ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Exhibitionism became standard after Celestia imprisoned Luna on the moon. Luna was in opposition to ponies having their floppy parts hanging out all the time, but Molestia insisted. After a heated argument on the matter, Luna transformed into Nightmare Moon in an attempt to overthrow her perverted sister's lustful tyranny, but, alas, Molestia had the Elements of Harmony on her side. After so many years of being forced to remain naked for the vast majority of their lives, the residing ponyfolk of Equestria eventually embraced the art of exhibitionism. It has become commonplace over a span of a few hundred years. Not all that hard to believe *shrugs* 

Head canon accepted, and filed accordingly.

(edited)

Cause, they're cartoon animals. Sorta like Bugs Bunny, Donald Duck, or Tom. They don't have genitals to cover up.

2 hours ago, RareBase said:

They have fur to help protect them from the elements, and their fur and tails also probably hide anything "Private" decently well, so if they care about that at all, they might feel that's covered fine normally.

Yeah, no. Horses/ponies' fur don't cover their privates.

Edited by (-_-) Panzysoldat

(edited)
48 minutes ago, (-_-) Panzysoldat said:

Yeah, no. Horses/ponies' fur don't cover their privates.

^Yeah, that is pretty obvious lol. Pony fur would be super short too, so it's not as if they are all descendants of Fluffle Puff 

Spoiler

393638__oc_questionable_semi-dash-grimda

Edited by K.Rool Addict

Just now, Little Flyer said:

In Equestria, clothes are more of a form of expression than on earth. Besides, wouldn't Ponies be a bit too hot in clothes?

^That first sentence I definitely agree with. Clothes seem like an unnecessary luxury that more well-off ponies indulge themselves in.

I don't think ponies would be "too hot" in clothes though. Their fur isn't exactly the thickest out there, so I don't see clothes causing them much temperature-related discomfort. :o

(edited)

Because learning how to undo your fly when you're a quadruped who really has to go is an art that takes years of practice and a lot of spare pairs of pants.

Edited by Aurora Glimmer

Some ponies like Daring Do can get away with an informal outfit (or a disguise), some like Sunburst or Trixie wear a robe or cape, and the royal guards and Wonderbolts wear special uniforms, but it seems like most ponies only wear clothes on special occasions.

It would be more expensive and time consuming if everypony wore clothes. So the animators just decided to make it so they don't have genitals or reproductive organs of any kind and allow them to be a species of creatures that grow babies in test tubes rather than reproducing. Which is why we never got to see Cadences or Mrs cakes baby bump. They grow them all in test tubes. 

• Brohoof 1

I always saw ponies wearing clothes to be like people wearing hats. We wear them when it's especially cold or when we're outside in the sun for a while to try and avoid sunburn up there, but aside from that I think it's mostly a personal fashion choice.