Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Spike is the best character in the entire series!

FlareGun45

People need to not look so much at Spike's negative sides, and start looking more at his more positive sides! Spike's the BEST friend anypony could ever ask for! He's basically every Element of Harmony put together! His snarkiness makes him funny, he was generous when he gave Rarity that gem, he's honest to Twilight and Starlight and all his other friends when they have their flaws, he's very kind to them during their rough times, and he's loyal above all else!

Yes, Spike does make mistakes sometimes, and there are times when the writers have to make OOC for comedic purposes, but if you look more into him, he's actually the best character in the entire show! His friends do look after him, but in all honesty, he looks after his friends a whole lot more! They need him just as much as he needs them! Not just his friends in the Mane Six, but all his other friends too outside of it!

Hopefully the writers could get more into an in-depth story within his character. We're not all that sure how he feels about his position in life all in all, as he's not very open to his friends all the time and mostly keeps to himself. After all, he never met his parents, he doesn't know how he came in Celestia's possession, and he doesn't even know what his destiny is; so right now all he does is help his friends out, learn what he needs to learn, and he rarely complains about it! He puts up with the Mane Six's BS all the time, cause he sees their positives more than their negatives, and vice-versa! This is what makes Spike the most interesting character in the show, and the best friend ANYONE (not just anypony) could ask for!

Also those of you that think Spike is getting the short end of the stick because he's a dog in EG or a pufferfish in the movie. Relax, dogs are better than humans by a long shot, and puffer fish are extremely venomous and fast! So in all things considered, whatever species Spike becomes, he's superior to the Mane Six! ;)

Do the writers see this though? Some do (Ex: Lady Writers, Meghan McCarthy), and some don't (Ex: Merriwhether Williams, Neal Dusedau). Hopefully either at the end of season 7, or any future season ahead, we can learn the truth about him! His real purpose! Not this Power Ponies or Dragon Quest-level nonsense, and especially not Princess Spike! We want the Gauntlet of Fire and Times Are Changeling-levels of nonsense, and Triple Threat as well if it turns out to be as awesome! :D 

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

People need to not look so much at Spike's negative sides

I'm sorry but that is just impossible for me, I know what you say is sometime right and sometimes wrong (it's what I think at least) but there is just no way I can look further that the negatives sides of Spike. He is just so... too much...I mean he's... I want to slap him honestly ! That's the kind of character that are in every series and that I wish they just get killed or something...

Sorry. But it's physical I can't :squee:

7 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

People need to not look so much at Spike's negative sides, and start looking more at his more positive sides!

I appreciate your love for the character, but I can't do that even for Rarity. I have no intention of doing that for Spike. 

Its Rarity's flaws (and how she struggles with them) that I find facinating about the character. It doesn't matter if it's Rarity, or Darth Vader, or Nick Carraway, Mrs. Norris, or Spike. Imperfections in a character give the character a better chance at being fully realized and relatable beyond a simple archetype draw. 

Spike's an awesome character because of his virtues and faults. Anyone who would disagree with that is just someone who likes less flavor on their narrative meal, or finds the characterization outside of what they prefer. Nothing wrong with that, as limiting as it is in some cases.

Embrace the flaws, not ignore them. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Trotteur Funeste said:

I'm sorry but that is just impossible for me, I know what you say is sometime right and sometimes wrong (it's what I think at least) but there is just no way I can look further that the negatives sides of Spike. He is just so... too much...I mean he's... I want to slap him honestly ! That's the kind of character that are in every series and that I wish they just get killed or something...

Every character has that one person that want to kill off! XD I see Rainbow, Pinkie, and lately Starlight of that problem! :3

13 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I appreciate your love for the character, but I can't do that even for Rarity. I have no intention of doing that for Spike. 

Its Rarity's flaws (and how she struggles with them) that I find facinating about the character. It doesn't matter if it's Rarity, or Darth Vader, or Nick Carraway, Mrs. Norris, or Spike. Imperfections in a character give the character a better chance at being fully realized and relatable beyond a simple archetype draw. 

Spike's an awesome character because of his virtues and faults. Anyone who would disagree with that is just someone who likes less flavor on their narrative meal, or finds the characterization outside of what they prefer. Nothing wrong with that, as limiting as it is in some cases.

Embrace the flaws, not ignore them. 

I don't mean just ignore them COMPLETELY! Of course Spike has his flaws! He's still not retiring his crush on Rarity yet, that's one of them - that really needs to stop. He's been really keeping to himself as of late, that's two. Spike needs some brotherly figure, like you know Starlight has Trixie? Well Spike could use himself a friend that completely understands him. I'm a little concerned to why that hasn't happened yet. Like what Maud said, "It's not hard to find someone I like - it's finding someone who gets me." And the only character I see that relates to Spike the most is Big Mac, but for some reason the writers aren't making that a regular thing; unless they are and we didn't get to that point yet! :3

So yeah, of course he has his flaws! All characters do! But I'm just saying, alot of people seem to always think he's just the comedic sidekick and nothing else. I was on Facebook, and alot of people are complaining about Spike being a pufferfish in the movie, which really isn't bad! In all things considered, pufferfish are better than seaponies since they're faster and venomous! People don't always see the good and ONLY focus on the bad. That's my point I'm gettin' at.

Edited by MegaSean45
  • Brohoof 1

36 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

Not this Power Ponies or Dragon Quest-level nonsense

Yo man Power Ponies is awesome and a great Spike episode

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Trotteur Funeste said:

Spike is a pre-teen male, this is pretty much the universal reaction to them. In fact he's exceptionally mature for his age. 

• Brohoof 1

On 2017-05-27 at 11:46 PM, Phirun Natela said:

Great argumentation, I'm genuinely impressed. Do keep going with your great points about why you don't like a character.

SMH, I'm getting really tired of these Spike haters. They are almost always just bandwagoning. I'm not a fanboy, really. But I would really love some actual arguments about hating Spike. The only ones I've heard is that he's annoying (It's factual Rarity is more annoying and whines more in the show, Spike almost never), he's a kid (uh.. what even?), his episodes are shit (yes most of them are, but you got to look past that, it's not the guys' fault the writers are horrible in making episodes for him.) and another one I can think out of the top of my head; he's a boy. (again, what?)

Feel free to give me real arguments apart from what I said or bandwagoning, I would love a real civilized discussion. (Again, not a fanboy, just frustrated.)

Well the thing is, if you really want to know
What am I doing ? Must not feed must not feed must not feed must not feed !

While Spike is one of my favorite characters in the show, he never really got a lot of positive attention by the fandom, which is why that I am happy that season 6 managed to actually give him some for a change, and that I hope that Triple Threat will be a good episode.

• 3 years later...

You're absolutely right! ^w^ I always thought Spike deserves a lot more respect and recognition of what he gets. He has always been the most loyal of Twilight's friend and helpful for everypony, even if he commits some mistakes sometimes. I think Spike is one of the best characters of the series by far uwu

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, BUGFlower99 said:

You're absolutely right! ^w^ I always thought Spike deserves a lot more respect and recognition of what he gets. He has always been the most loyal of Twilight's friend and helpful for everypony, even if he commits some mistakes sometimes. I think Spike is one of the best characters of the series by far uwu

I agree. I love Spike.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

He is okay but I feel like he was always like mocked and used kinda like a slave lol He was cute though.

I mean I liked his design and all when I first saw him. But he felt like a bit disempowered and kinda weak. Though the ones where he goes to the dragon land are cool and he gets a bit more development later on and when he gets his wings and all. I dont like the grown up spike tho looks weird haha. 

While g3 spike was weird and kinda flat he at least seemed very intelligent and compared to some of the other characters he was quite likeable. And I also like g1 spike a bit though he seemed a bit wah wah baby like too haha (I mean he is meant to be lol) but his body size and that made a bit more sense to me. 

Edited by flurry