Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm Looking To Start Playing MMORPG's, Anyone Have Advice For Beginners?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Hiya! So, I never really used to get into MMO's in my younger years because I always found them so confusing and hard to navigate, but I think I'm at a period in my life where I can try to wrap my head around it, and after having a small look into the various games people are playing, I've really wanted to start playing them, although it was actually mainly SAO that kinda sold me on the concept. But the problem is I don't know how to ease into the genre, and there's also the difficulty of higher level more experienced players making fun of me for being a noob, I don't wanna be put in that embarrassing position. I'm thinking of starting off with Neverwinter, mainly because It's free to play so I can afford it, what with most MMO's having high prices, and some even having monthly paid subscriptions, combined with me having to console game because I won't have a good gaming PC for a while yet, my choices are limited, any recommendations could also be helpful though. So any fellow bronies here have some good advice for beginners?

(edited)

My advice is to not bother the higher level players asking for advice. That tends to annoy them pretty easily. Sometimes you'll get lucky and stumble upon a higher level player who is bored and will take you "under their wing" so to speak. Otherwise, I would suggest getting to lvl cap as soon as possible.

I have only played 2 MMOs in my life, Dragon Ball Online (about 5,000 hours+) and Tera(around 800-1,000 hours), so I am not an authority on everything MMO related. But within those games, especially the former of which, I can tell you that the best thing to do is become self sufficient. Focus on making friends and stuff AFTER you have become competent. Don't bother with joining guilds until you reach level cap; otherwise you are seen as a liability instead of a welcome member.

At the end of the day, just try to have fun. Many MMO players will take things way too damn serious. Especially when it comes to pvp. Just pretend you are playing a single player RPG until you get at least close to level cap, and then expand outside of your comfort zone =^-^=

Another thing, never ever EVER ask other players for in game currency lol. That is one of the most annoying things ever! >.<

Edited by K.Rool Addict
  • Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, K.Rool Addict said:

My advice is to not bother the higher level players asking for advice. That tends to annoy them pretty easily. Sometimes you'll get lucky and stumble upon a higher level player who is bored and will take you "under their wing" so to speak. Otherwise, I would suggest getting to lvl cap as soon as possible.

I have only played 2 MMOs in my life, Dragon Ball Online (about 5,000 hours+) and Tera(around 800-1,000 hours), so I am not an authority on everything MMO related. But within those games, especially the former of which, I can tell you that the best thing to do is become self sufficient. Focus on making friends and stuff AFTER you have become competent. Don't bother with joining guilds until you reach level cap; otherwise you are seen as a liability instead of a welcome member.

At the end of the day, just try to have fun. Many MMO players will take things way too damn serious. Especially when it comes to pvp. Just pretend you are playing a single player RPG until you get at least close to level cap, and then expand outside of your comfort zone =^-^=

Another things, never ever EVER ask other players for in game currency lol. That is one of the most annoying things ever! >.<

I guess I'll see what happens with that. It's alright, I may end up working solo anyway.

In total that's like 6 THOUSAND hours so I'm pretty sure you've MMO'd plenty enough for me to trust your word. Then again I may not end up playing either of those, so I guess this is advice relating to those specific games, but I'll try and apply that logic to my games and see where it goes.

I have every intention of having fun, see, I'm not a competitive person, I'd prefer to work TOGETHER with players rather than against them, I probably won't even touch PVP.

There are really people who ask for currency? Jeez, talk about selfish... I mean as far as I know grinding enemies and completing quests should surely satisfy people looking for money.

Well It depends on what kind of MMORPG you're looking for. I wouldn't recommend Maple Story For Various Reasons which are you're forced to use the nexon launcher, but causes too much downtime on logging in to the game on this process, Lack of GMs and security activity, no Party Play, The Support aren't very helpful at all, It takes every week or 1 year to get the issues fixed, no endgame contents, no party play, too many events, and too much crashes and d/cs. As My friend told me about Maple Story, It's filled with events so Nothing to miss out on.

The others I may recommend is Final Fantasy XI and XIV, but they're both pay-2-play and you can get them on steam. I do believe you can try the game out, but it's just that you're gonna be on trial and you're limited to levels and some areas.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, KirbyFluttershy said:

Well It depends on what kind of MMORPG you're looking for. I wouldn't recommend Maple Story For Various Reasons which are you're forced to use the nexon launcher, but causes too much downtime on logging in to the game on this process, Lack of GMs and security activity, no Party Play, The Support aren't very helpful at all, It takes every week or 1 year to get the issues fixed, no endgame contents, no party play, too many events, and too much crashes and d/cs. As My friend told me about Maple Story, It's filled with events so Nothing to miss out on.

The others I may recommend is Final Fantasy XI and XIV, but they're both pay-2-play and you can get them on steam. I do believe you can try the game out, but it's just that you're gonna be on trial and you're limited to levels and some areas.

I guess it helps that Maple Story doesn't really interest me, I've looked into it, It's not my kind of thing. And if It's that emptied of content I may end up staying away from that one. As for FFXI/XIV I may try that one, but only when I can pay for it, I don't like being restricted from levels, areas, whatever, that bugs me in games.

Do not... I repeat. DO NOT ASK FOR HELP FROM ANYONE. You're just gonna get trolled or worse... Stuck.

Do listen to people but take everything they say with a grain of salt. Do research online about your class or other things BEFORE you hit level cap and raid/pvp! If people find out you haven't... And it spreads on the server, GG, new alt. Furthermore, do not, I actually can't stress this enough. Do not accept any kind of help UNLESS you've known the person for 3+ days. Also, do abuse people's mistakes. I almost got a hundred thousand gold for free in WoW once. I hesitated, my mistake as that was before they could have done anything against it. But, more often don't take ludicrous amounts of gold. Or other currency.

Oh, yeah... Before I forget, grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind. Now repeat that for 500+ hours. In most of them. Oh god, the horror... The hours...! And then the next expansion comes when you're only ever gotten halfway to a million for no reason! I actually never did that one million though...

Oh, and use hotkeys if there are any. People will physically harm you over this, I'm not kidding. Just warnin' ya. People be violent.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

I guess it helps that Maple Story doesn't really interest me, I've looked into it, It's not my kind of thing. And if It's that emptied of content I may end up staying away from that one. As for FFXI/XIV I may try that one, but only when I can pay for it, I don't like being restricted from levels, areas, whatever, that bugs me in games.

It's only good for trying out the game, but in order to continue playing final fantasy XI, you need a playonline ID, and square-enix account. I never tried the trial myself, but my brother got me into that mess in the 1st place and started playing it most of the time. You wanna check out the steam store on final fantasy XI for more information.

A lot of people who played maple story aren't recommending the game to anyone and their friends for various reasons. It's mostly the cons that's not allowing people to recommend maple story to anyone and their friends. Every time when that survey pops up, we normally give a score of 0-1.

Most people are right about not asking for help from anyone, but if it's someone who you trust such as not scamming and stuff like that. I'm not one of those people who trolls, scams, and stuff like that. I do believe that it's hard to get people's trust in maple story. in Final fantasy XI, Most people are nice and very trustworthy there.

Grinding is one thing in MMORPGs to make things more easy enough to do things. Maple Story has a long grinding time from level 200-250, but it's less time from level 1-200. Final Fantasy XI has less grinding time since you can do fields or grounds of valor till level 30 and then after that you can leech off in abyssea area if you have the keys to open chests and of course if you can sneak your way into the abyssea pty if they need a key person to open chests and you can grind up to the level cap till you complete the quest to increase level cap.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
58 minutes ago, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

I guess I'll see what happens with that. It's alright, I may end up working solo anyway.

In total that's like 6 THOUSAND hours so I'm pretty sure you've MMO'd plenty enough for me to trust your word. Then again I may not end up playing either of those, so I guess this is advice relating to those specific games, but I'll try and apply that logic to my games and see where it goes.

I have every intention of having fun, see, I'm not a competitive person, I'd prefer to work TOGETHER with players rather than against them, I probably won't even touch PVP.

There are really people who ask for currency? Jeez, talk about selfish... I mean as far as I know grinding enemies and completing quests should surely satisfy people looking for money.

Lol, yeah, in DBO TW and KR, and even the most recent revision Global, there is like at least 1 non-English speaking person hanging around the starter zone maps asking people for money at all times xD

I actually don't consider myself a "competitive" person either. You see, in MMOs my favorite things to do are to build up my (cute adorable) character and take in the beautiful scenery (and annoy people on global chat xD). But when playing an MMO for so damn long, there has to be some sort of progress. That progress for me, was gaining large amounts of in game currency via haggling methods. Buy cosmetic items off Auction House for like idk 10,000,000 in game currency and then wear the item around and enjoy it. Then wait until some desperate person wants the exact one I have and sell it to them at a 2x, sometimes 3x profit! /)^3^(\

Becoming self dependent and making money for yourself is one of the most important skills you can gain in an MMO. As sometimes it seems practically impossible to get $$$ the "normal" way. With in game currency you can buy good gear from other players and fun cosmetic items. 

I was never the biggest "pvper" out there, but after years of playing I ascended to one of the best 1v1 players of DBO. It's just so fun to pvp as long as everyone is civil lol. Many players will get so mad that they will spread lies and hatred about you all over forums and other such social outlets; it's sad really. At the end of the day, you gotta remember: Its a damn game. It is for entertainment" xD

1489866601407.png

^My 5th character in DBO about 8-ish months ago /)^3^(\

Below lies my some of my 1v1 legacy~! Bask in my magnificence, mortals! Mwahahah~ 

Spoiler

2adb03668d29f46838711e66297c9c2dfea084bf

756c858e85dadfac02bd4bec2562914e949cdddb

1496948423881.png

d145da918e7ba5d9eb7a90581e12325bb5510bdf

8142081780fc9fd021f5bde35f944d2fc863b94c

e2b0411967563f24a24180fe1ae3637be6f8b447

72933a83e8a12dfcdef2416773a4ac0bf5820a86

60a82b84395f14ae63a4f8f922be562bd8e3bdef

1ed77b62731dee5d60aad46b8406634b2e127fae

71613e639dfac8727f8a08b2b4119c2321fa43f6

1b12b9c470fd74527102a098e46d47f752364984

Edited by K.Rool Addict
  • Brohoof 1

On 2017-6-8 at 7:46 PM, rolle said:

Do not... I repeat. DO NOT ASK FOR HELP FROM ANYONE. You're just gonna get trolled or worse... Stuck.

Do listen to people but take everything they say with a grain of salt. Do research online about your class or other things BEFORE you hit level cap and raid/pvp! If people find out you haven't... And it spreads on the server, GG, new alt. Furthermore, do not, I actually can't stress this enough. Do not accept any kind of help UNLESS you've known the person for 3+ days. Also, do abuse people's mistakes. I almost got a hundred thousand gold for free in WoW once. I hesitated, my mistake as that was before they could have done anything against it. But, more often don't take ludicrous amounts of gold. Or other currency.

Oh, yeah... Before I forget, grind grind grind grind grind grind grind grind. Now repeat that for 500+ hours. In most of them. Oh god, the horror... The hours...! And then the next expansion comes when you're only ever gotten halfway to a million for no reason! I actually never did that one million though...

Oh, and use hotkeys if there are any. People will physically harm you over this, I'm not kidding. Just warnin' ya. People be violent.

Wow, that's a... Harsh world. Makes me wonder how anyone learned how to play these when they first came out since It's such a hostile environment.

Age of Conan.

it's your typical fantasy MMORPG, except it's so called "low fantasy" meaning no elves and some other things.

i have several top lvl players, but i can say i prefer low level gameplay.

levelling isn't to slow either and there tons of fun, dialogue and story.

• Brohoof 1

Well Another Advice for beginners is that if your friend is dragging you into a game that they want you to play with, they can provide you some equipment and money to start out with depending on if they're extra equipment and money regardless if you're new or returning player to the game or playing the game in another world.

Grinding alone isn't that easy. In maple story, It's not easy to grind alone because you need exp bonus such as having 3 link skills such as elven blessing from mercedes, rune persistence from evan, and combo blessing from aran classes, and as well as zero character card (but soon the character card effects will be gone) so all of these link skills stack up the exp bonuses. In Final Fantasy XI, you can grind alone by doing fields and grounds of valor and you get exp and rewards for doing them. The Exp will stay regardless the amount of in-game days and rewards can be obtained once per in-game day and once you reach level 30, you can leech in abyssea, but only allowed if you have keys to open the chests and you can do this till you hit level cap which is level 50 for new players and then you have to do the level cap quest to increase level cap.

Some people are friendly so they're easy to earn their trust and helping you out with what you need. Don't ask for help if people aren't free and/or don't have access to what you are doing and need help with.

And as always, the economy may vary by worlds or servers you play in so moneymaking can be tough in that world you play in so always go for the popular sell items. If you don't know what the popular sell items are, you can ask around.

For jobs and classes, It all depends on what job and/or class you like best so give them a try at least once and then see that if you're confident with that job and/or class however some equipment can be worn by that job and/or class or in a short way, Job Specific Equipment (JSE for short). Always optimize to your best or by popular equipment. Some of the equipment may contain set bonuses so always check for any set bonuses they provide. Weapons, Always opt best or use popular item by people recommended, but if you think that you can't do much damage to the enemy, you wanna go for a weapon that has higher attack power.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The only MMORPG I've ever played was Ragnarok...with the servers coming back up in June 30....I'm pretty excited about it.

As for general MMO tips...Do your research...You don't wanna be the guy that farms for days on a specific Dungeon/Location when there was an area just 10 minutes away that could have leveled you up in Hours....

Also...This may be super obvious but never share your password with anyone....You're going to meet at least a handful of folks who will befriend and offer to level your account for you if you give them your User/Password...

Most MMORPGS allow you to level through the early stages of the game much faster through the quests around the town....They're usually really simple and easy accomplish and a lot more efficient in leveling that straight farming in the Dungeon out of town. 

Edited by Vulcan
  • Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Vulcan said:

The only MMORPG I've ever played was Ragnarok...with the servers coming back up in June 30....I'm pretty excited about it.

As for general MMO tips...Do your research...You don't wanna be the guy that farms for days on a specific Dungeon/Location when there was an area just 10 minutes away that could have leveled you up in Hours....

Also...This may be super obvious but never share your password with anyone....You're going to meet at least a handful of folks who will befriend and offer to level your account for you if you give them your User/Password...

Most MMORPGS allow you to level through the early stages of the game much faster through the quests around the town....They're usually really simple and easy accomplish and a lot more efficient in leveling that straight farming in the Dungeon out of town. 

Well You can't share accounts inside the game because GMs may catch you for that and chat filters will block the pass so only do it outside of the game with alternative communications such as skype, discord, steam, and facebook so they won't know what's going on.

There may be people inside the area that are farming or grinding in that spot so be on a lookout what they say such as Change channel plz (in a short a way, CC plz), switch areas, and/or move elsewhere within the area.

Another Advice is that watch out for advertisements. They may contain phishing sites and they'll try to get a hold of your acc info, and steal your stuff. At Least don't trust those kind of sites that are being advertised in the game regardless if they're a spam or not. You may wanna look out for fake GMs since the real GMs would never ask for your acc info and don't reply to the fake GMs. Always track down the person first by searching their names. A Real GM would wear a special equipment, has a colored chat, and remains invisible to all players which means they can't be tracked through a search and they can only be visible if they're called by a player.

Reporting a player to a GM requires evidence and proof to backup your claims to provide more information to the player has done to the GM. Make sure you're 100% sure that you're accusing that player for doing something wrong in the game such as hacking, botting, and rule breaking. Any False reports and accusations will give you a penalty so make sure you have all the evidence and proof of your reports and accusations such as showing a video and/or providing a screenshot of that player.

Some MMORPGs has a strict rule on reporting players that have done something wrong and usually the GMs just allow them to get away with that or let'em slide, but of course that's not a good action for a GM even if people try to report them, they just won't take action immediately. Like in maple story, the GMs doesn't care about the security, safety, and fairness of the game, but they won't action as I know about.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, OmegaBeamOfficial said:

Wow, that's a... Harsh world. Makes me wonder how anyone learned how to play these when they first came out since It's such a hostile environment.

I think people are really exaggerating here, asking for help in an MMO *might* yield some bad results but in my experience people are usually more than happy to help

Then again, different games have different communities. You shouldn't ever ask WoW trade chat for help, asking RS3 players for help in RS3 is a different story though.

Speaking of RS3, I recommend that if you're just getting in to MMOs. It's free, it's fun, membership fee is cheap, and it's a mostly solo experience so you don't HAVE to find people to play with. I play it myself so if you ever do need help with the game you could just come to me.

• Brohoof 1

Oh yeah, OP almost forgot. Both of the MMOs I mentioned above (Dragon Ball Online Global and Tera) are Free To Play =^-^= Just putting it out there after having read Kitty's post lol

The communities are a tad... toxic tho >.>

• Brohoof 1

Never give beggars your money when they ask for money such as "money plz" and stuff like that, ignore or tell them make money on their own. Simple as that

You may wanna be on a look out for people that speaks in different language other than english such as spanish, japanese, and stuff like that. Japanese people are ok to hang around with as long as you can understand what they're saying. Spanish people are hard to work around with if they lack understanding in english so be careful on that when doing runs with them when it comes to strategy and battle plans for the battlefield runs and making the calls. If they speak and understand both english and another language they speak, you're good to go. Using simple words will make people understand a little easy what you're saying. If you speak and/or translate japanese, it's ok to talk to japanese people in english text if you don't have a way to talk to them in japanese text, but usually japanese greeting works if they join the party.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

I think that Neverwinter is a good game for a beginner MMORPG player. If you've already played that game or want to try another MMORPG as a beginner, try TERA. Also, if you are a fan of MLP, try playing Legends of Equestria which is also an MMORPG.

Regardless of your experience though, any MMORPG can be played and enjoyed. I for one went into MMORPGs without worrying about which one would be beginner friendly, I like to get right in there and enjoy it.