Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Site is Slow

Rikifive

I'm experiencing issues with this site from time to time and I'd like to bring that to attention to seek for advice. :) 

What's The Problem?

Generally the site runs well, but sometimes it gets extremely slow (loading takes more than 10 seconds) and eventually ends up throwing the following error when requesting a page:

504 Gateway Time-out

nginx

I have this problem for a long time now (it will be few months by now) and it really makes the site difficult to navigate when the performance suddenly drops like this.

Troubleshooting

I've tried few things, starting from waiting patiently, but I think there actually is a 'legit' issue.

/!\ Slow Internet Connection
I've read a FAQ article mentioning this, but I'm preeeeeetty sure it's not my internet connection. Why? Because other sites work perfectly. Youtube manages to buffer multiple HD videos at once very fast (fast enough to watch all of them at the same time without waiting for buffering); other sites work fine, even these working on IPB software (read: other forums); online games work perfectly with low ping - I think it's safe to say, that it's not that. ;)
...Unless there's a super-special exception for that specific server these forums are hosted on. :P But then - If I remember correctly - it all worked fine before the upgrade to v4...

/!\ Too Many Muffins Cookies
I've cleaned browser's history, cache, muffins cookies etc. etc. as well as cleaned temporary files from PC and whatsoever (multiple times) - after months the issue still persists. And again, all other sites work fine. :derp:

Technical Information
Browser: Google Chrome (Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Version) (64-bit))

Is there anything I can do or is it coming from 'your' side? :please:
Thank you! 3lS6aWH.png

Usually when you encounter these 'Gateway Time-out' errors, the problem is often on the server-side. I too encounter these errors with site slowness from time to time, and I'd usually know well before if it was a problem with my connection because a number of background programs on my system would cease to function as well.

Not being one of the technical staff, I'm afraid I can't really say for certain what causes these issues. Sometimes the server just has a derp moment, or on occasion gets DDOSed  and needs to be reset. It could also be another issue with IP.B 4.0 not playing nicely with your Firewall settings if you have one, though if you're not having this issue with other sites that use IP.B, my best guest is that it is purely server related.

Sorry I can't be of much more help than that. As you may be aware, we're currently looking for a new Lead Developer for the forum, so it's with hope that most of these issues can be tackled in due time.

• Brohoof 5

I see. If you're encountering these errors as well, then it answers my question. :P 

No worries, it's totally okay. :fluttershy: I was just thinking, that there actually may be something on my side, so that's why I decided to ask for details. Yup, I'm aware of the current situation. One member 'poked' me to take a look at this, but as much as I'd love to help I'm afraid, that willingness to learn these languages will not be enough. My knowledge will definitely not help much there.

This issue isn't something unbearable, so I'll just have to deal with it I guess.. and be careful to not lose contents during sending. :P 

Thank you for information. :) 

Yes, I've noticed it too. There were times in 2014 that the site was constantly dealing with various issues that caused various latency and response issues. The current issues are thankfully not nearly as bad. While it is occasionally frustrating, it's something that I can deal with personally. 

1 hour ago, Rikifive said:

This issue isn't something unbearable, so I'll just have to deal with it I guess.. and be careful to not lose contents during sending

Yep. Always a good idea to save your content before submitting when the server is having some performance issues. 

Oh, and in memory of those days I have to do this since we did it in the Skype group chats. 

#lag

• Brohoof 2