Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Choosing between Sunset and Starlight?

KH7672

Sunset, Starlight, both, neither...  

69 users have voted

1. 1. What kind of fan are you?

• No need to choose...I love 'em both equally!
    • A Sunset fan who likes Starlight
    • A Starlight fan who likes Sunset
    • SUNSET ALL THE WAY!!! Get over it Starlight fanboys!
    • Obviously Starlight; EqG sucks anyway!
    • Eh, don't like either of them tbh......

2 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Because while Discord IS funny and IS being himself, the himself he is being is, indeed, a jerk :D

So a jerk means being the best character of the show? The explains a lot. :icwudt:

2 minutes ago, Hierok said:

So a jerk means being the best character of the show? The explains a lot. :icwudt:

Discord is a great character, but that doesn't mean he isn't a jerk. As SG said to Twi, I think you might be biassed. :)

Discord is self centred as a gyroscope and completely lacks empathy for the ponies he interacts with; he struggles to try and find some for Futters, and Starlight/Trixie seem to have grown on him a little during their shared finale, but that's just how he is (and Fluttershy accepts that and loves him for himself anyhow, which is the point)

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

why is none mentioning Garble?

Because no one give damn about that one-note character, like Suri Polomare or Sven Gallope, or any random character.

Oh, I see. So this thread finally reveals the source of our hatred!

No. I dont think so.

Mane 6 should not only be allowed to express their dismay over Trixie or Starlight but also engage in playful verbal duels that could destroy and silence such mooks in a satisfying manner.

You really like sascasm and exaggerating in your comments (too snarky) but i get what you say but no, not what i am trying to say, not to that extreme.

It's funny cause that is the sole reason why redeemed villains even exist in the current state.

Agree.

Starlight or Discord, it's the same shit

Yeah, you are fair, you treat them the same shit, and what people i am talking about definately not include you.

It's because at the end of the day friendship has to be magic. It has to be the answer for everything.

They are bullshit sometime but in the end, they are the results of everything, without them, ponies can go insane or sth.  

an explanation for your own actions and reasoning.

??????? :sunbutt:

Edited by Lambdadelta

1 hour ago, Hierok said:

Insert your own snarky joke about Rainbow Dash's popularity here.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Hierok said:

No, being an interesting jerk with interesting personality trait is. No one like Zephyr Breeze, right.:muffins:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, CypherHoof said:

Discord is a great character, but that doesn't mean he isn't a jerk. As SG said to Twi, I think you might be biassed. :)

Discord is self centred as a gyroscope and completely lacks empathy for the ponies he interacts with; he struggles to try and find some for Futters, and Starlight/Trixie seem to have grown on him a little during their shared finale, but that's just how he is (and Fluttershy accepts that and loves him for himself anyhow, which is the point)

Fair point. I believe the lack of empathy is not his own fault, but the fault of the ones who never trusted him. :grin:

30 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

Insert your own snarky joke about Rainbow Dash's popularity here.

I will. :D

24 minutes ago, Lambdadelta said:

No, being an interesting jerk with interesting personality trait is. No one like Zephyr Breeze, right.:muffins:

Also a fair point. Zephyr isn't bad. :please: I just hate him because he destroyed his dad's cloud collection! :angry: That was really sad.

52 minutes ago, Lambdadelta said:

Snip

So such behavior is allowed when one does it to a character that is perceived as irrelevant. Then such behavior is not in its core malignant. People just don't like it when it's done to their characters. However, they should handle it as fans and not as some special minority or community shepherd wannabes that are all too prevalent in our fandom. It is alright to be biased the same way Discord fans are biased. Though this won't take you closer to understanding the hate of those so called "jerk" characters and why some of them work better than others.

• Brohoof 1

29 minutes ago, Hierok said:

Fair point. I believe the lack of empathy is not his own fault, but the fault of the ones who never trusted him. :grin:

I am not sure that "fault" is something you can really even consider; its a factor of his personality. We know why Q feels that way about the mortals he encounters; his race is so overwhelmingly powerful and so far removed from the normal universe that they have had to set strict rules on interactions with them to prevent a random Q accidentally wiping them all out - they are like bugs compared to the Q (it is possible that the Squire and Kevin entities were of that race, which is an interesting thought too)

After multiple interactions with the main cast though, even Q gains empathy for the ephemerals (although not to the extent of Discord's obscession with Fluttershy) and I think we are starting to see this here; although initially focussed on giving up the bare minimum required to maintain his precious relationship with Flutters, he is gradually warming to the main 6 (although not to the extent that he cared at all that Chrysalis was bodyswapping ponies - until he found out Fluttershy was taken - but enough he handed the secret of the keys to Twi,in the form of bookmarks in her journal, and his interactions at the end of S6 and start of S7 suggest strongly he isn't averse to more time spent with Trixie or Starlight, either)

So yeah, still a jerk, but much less so than he was, so character progression there too.

54 minutes ago, Hierok said:

Also a fair point. Zephyr isn't bad. :please: I just hate him because he destroyed his dad's cloud collection! :angry: That was really sad.

Zephyr isn't bad per se, just self centered and narcissistic to the point of being oblivious to anything but his own short term desires <political comments omitted>

You could make similar observations about pre-reformation Sunset (just to bring us even slightly back towards the original topic) - she was ambitious and USED people, which of course in the business world makes you a rising star and role model, but in our rather idealized world vision is less acceptable. There is plenty of evidence though that THAT is how really it works in both worlds - although if Twilight and Cadence were part of Celestia's attempt to find a better way by building a more friendship-centric society from the ground up, that wouldn't surprise me. Perhaps Diamond Tiara's defiance of Spoiled Rich and the whole question of why the CMC are who they now are would fit well - a new wave is coming to Pony society, and while much of that is pushed by the mane 6, the CMC are the very crest of that wave.

• Brohoof 1

iF i Had been asked like a year and a half ago Id say I like them both equally, but I had to vote "Starlight, Sunset kinda sucks" at least RIGHT NOW. Sunset was GREAT in RR, and even in FG she was okay though cracks were showing, but since then, her best appearances have been in fucking little shorts. Otherwise she's just... boring, she's nearly flawless, like I found Sunset more compelling the Summertime Shorts than I did in the last 2 movies, she was pretty good in her team up with Starlight too but it's a damn shame that a character who was so great in their first post redemption episode fell so far so fast and is now just recovering. She's a case study in why such quick total redemptions are bad idea. 

Right now I can barely name Sunset's flaws beyond the one they just added to give her one of "She worries too much" That's an issue, she works in hte context of the EQG Ensemble but when she's seperated, she's really damn boring.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 3