Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Limits/Exceptions to Non-Pegasi Ponies Standing on Clouds

Valeska

As far as my memory serves, there are two episodes that state only pegasi ponies can stand on clouds: "Sonic Rainboom" (S1E16) and "Parental Glideance" (S7E7). However, there are two exceptions to this rule that involve the use of magic. The first exception to the rule is the use of a "wing creating spell". This was used by Twilight to create large butterfly wings for Rarity in "Sonic Rainbow". The second exception is the use of a "walking on clouds spell". Twilight also used this spell in "Sonic Rainbow" to allow her friends to attend the Best Young Flyers Competition in Cloudsdale. 

If these spells are accessible to the general public, then why aren't more earth ponies and unicorns taking advantage of these spells to experience Cloudsdale and other pegasi cities? Is there a time limit for how long the spells remain in effect? Can only well-practiced unicorns cast these spells?

Another observation that I'd like to point out revolves around Las Pegasus. The city is a pegasi city, yet all three pony races can be found interacting in the cloud city due to paved pathways in and outside Las Pegasus buildings. Yet, if one were to step off of the path would the earth ponies and unicorns still fall through? Or, is there some sort of safety net used to keep non-pegasi ponies safe from falling? If Las Pegasus has paved paths, then why doesn't Cloudsdale have them as well?

Answer me this. If an earth pony or unicorn pony is born from a pegasus parent, would this allow them to walk on clouds since they would be considered part pegasus? Or would something else occur? Are there other possible exceptions to the "only pegasi ponies can stand on clouds" rule?

Let me know your thoughts!!!

• Brohoof 1

I think the unicorn has to be very strong. It doesn't seem right that every unicorn can do that spell. If you see Trixie, who can't even teleport in the season 7, you see that most unicorns can't do anything more then lift things. :ooh:

• Brohoof 3

Not too sure, haven't thought about it like that, I think the show would have us believe, if you're born an Earth Pony, you're an Earth Pony.  We haven't seen any evidence of parents having an effect on the race you're born, it would make sense from our worlds perspective but not so much for theirs. And I imagine if you were an Alicorn it wouldn't matter because you accompany all pony races. Special exception for people very adept and masterful at unicorn magic, being able to manipulate the cloud into thinking you can walk on cloud like a Pegasus.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Lunar Echo said:

Not too sure, haven't thought about it like that, I think the show would have us believe, if you're born an Earth Pony, you're an Earth Pony.  We haven't seen any evidence of parents having an effect on the race you're born, it would make sense from our worlds perspective but not so much for theirs. And I imagine if you were an Alicorn it wouldn't matter because you accompany all pony races. Special exception for people very adept and masterful at unicorn magic, being able to manipulate the cloud into thinking you can walk on cloud like a Pegasus.

We haven't seen any evidence, but we have also only a few situations were this could be pointed out, like with the cakes. 

• Brohoof 2

To your paved roads in Cloudsdale question, I feel like there's a good reason they wouldn't have those. 

It's stated in Tanks for the Memories that Cloudsdale moves around Equestria, while I don't believe Los Pegasus does. While stable clouds can somehow support pavement, I would think a moving town would have to be as light as possible. That's why the houses are made out of clouds in Cloudsdale. 

That's just a head cannon, but I think it works pretty well. 

• Brohoof 3

• 3 years later...

Yes, pegasi are the only ones who can walk on clouds, but you are right. There definitely are exceptions.

First, there are the two unicorn spells you mentioned. These are big complicated spells, so it makes sense why not too many unicorns could use them. On top of that, I do believe that they would just be temporary. Otherwise, cloud walking would hardly be considered a pegasus only thing. This explains why unicorns and earth ponies don't attempt life in Cloudsdale. It would just be too much of an extra hassle.

Now, about Las Pegasus, it is a cloud-top city. And as you stated, all ponies can live there due to pavement. But I would think that only pegasi could step off of the pavement. Non-pegasi have to stay on it or they will fall, of course. Due to this, I would think that the city is still mostly inhabited by pegasi. Maybe like 50%-60% pegasus. It is still a cloud city after all. Also, the reason Cloudsdale doesn't have paved paths is most likely due to mobility. Plus, the city's economy is so weather based that it wouldn't really make sense to have non-pegasi living there.

Lastly, In my little head-canon I like to think pegasi are the only creatures who can cloud-walk. Now we've seen otherwise in the show, but I just like to think it's pegasus exclusive. Weather magic and cloud-walking are really the two big things that set them apart from the other flying creatures. I dunno, just my thoughts.