Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike's progress after season 7

FlareGun45

Just to let you know, I think the developers are still doing great with him in episodes he appears in! He did awesome in Triple Threat, and he offered great supporting roles in the season 7 premiere and finale! However, he is still pretty behind on his development. Having one episode per season isn't going to really help him all that much. We don't know how long the show is gonna last for. It could last just a couple more seasons, or maybe it might last another 5! We don't know. The ratings could skyrocket, or they could drop dramatically. Either way, I don't want the writers to take that risk.

I know some of you believe he's at his best when he's supporting another character, and I agree! He could use more combo-episodes! Like sharing episodes with Fluttershy, Rainbow, Pinkie, Starlight, or even the CMCs! He doesn't get alot of combo episodes. The majority of the time he's Twilight support, but he doesn't really get any development just being Twilight's assistant all the time. He's just there as her moral support, but nothing to do with developing his relationship with her or any character she interacts with; unlike the Crystal Empire 2-parter which did just that!

Spike is a really helpful and loyal friend, and he was able to start pony/dragon/changeling alliances, become an ambassador and is able to get called by the map, but in all things considered, we still don't know anything about his past pre-Twilight's test, and get deep into his personal thoughts on what he really wants in life. He's growing up so could we expect some changes about what he wants in life, yunno? We see the CMCs growing both physically and mentally! Plus something about Spike this season, he hasn't been that social. He's been spending alot of time on his own lately with his comic books or taking over princess duties, and not with the Mane Six alot or making new friends or having interacting with Twilight's family, a majority of the time Starlight has been taking his place. I actually thought he and Starlight would've been closer friends than it looks like they are now compared to what I thought in season 6. I dunno what the status of guys' night is after Big Mac and Sugar Belle. I'm not sure if his lack of appearances this season is whether or not it has something to do with the developers, or Cathy herself, or maybe the movie because he didn't get a single EG short either yet.

Basically, this is what I think about what's going on with Spike after season 7. No comic-relief this season, no Spikeabuse, still progressing, still improving, but very slowly, and hasn't been around that much really, and has been more or less antisocial. Hopefully with the movie outta the way we could expect alot more outta him. I'm still waiting for that one BIG season of his to come. Iunno which season that is, but it'll come! But I know the writers can dig deeper on his potential, I believe in them! They did it once in season 6, they can do it again, and even bigger than season 6!  ;)

Edited by MegaSean45

An episode with Fluttershy would be great. Spike can help her overcome her fear of dragons to befriend Ember. Remember, Fluttershy hasn't completely overcome her fears since Dragon Quest.

Edited by FirePuppy

First and foremost I want him to let go of his Rarity crush. We all know it's not going anywhere and the comic potential in having a crush out of his league has long run its course. 

I'd like him to pair up more with Rainbow Dash, who with what brief time she has interacted with him has treated him with a less condescending attitude than the other mane 5 (and their little adventure together in Shadow Play Part 1 was a pretty good setup for more stories from that angle). And of course I think he should interact with the CMCs more often. There are a few potentially interesting routes they could go there, especially depending on what they decide to do with Scootaloo's wing situation.

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, n1029 said:

First and foremost I want him to let go of his Rarity crush. We all know it's not going anywhere and the comic potential in having a crush out of his league has long run its course. 

I'd like him to pair up more with Rainbow Dash, who with what brief time she has interacted with him has treated him with a less condescending attitude than the other mane 5 (and their little adventure together in Shadow Play Part 1 was a pretty good setup for more stories from that angle). And of course I think he should interact with the CMCs more often. There are a few potentially interesting routes they could go there, especially depending on what they decide to do with Scootaloo's wing situation.

Hope not. I'm not meaning to bring this up again, but Rainbow Dash has gotten more screentime in Spike's episodes than Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and even Discord (the last of the three having already had such an episode in Dungeons & Discords).

But... then again, Spike appeared the least in Rainbow Dash's episodes compared to all the other Mane Six's. As I recall, his last speaking role in a RD episode was Newbie Dash, then made only two non-speaking ones in Season 6, but none at all this season.

Edited by FirePuppy

1 hour ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

I just want an episode of Spike and RD messing with Twilight....is that too much to ask?

Episodes have to make enough sense by story conflict first. Is there really any proof over this?

11 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

Episodes have to make enough sense by story conflict first. Is there really any proof over this?

You mean, besides the fact that they both love messing with Twilight?

It could be used as a jumping off point for an internal conflict where Spike feels guilt for not really paying as much attention to his other friends as he has to Twilight and Rarity, with the moral being that it's never too late to try to reconnect with someone you love.

1 minute ago, n1029 said:

It could be used as a jumping off point for an internal conflict where Spike feels guilt for not really paying as much attention to his other friends as he has to Twilight and Rarity, with the moral being that it's never too late to try to reconnect with someone you love.

Not sure the rest of the mane 6 would WANT the sort of attention he pays to Rarity :D

Honestly I would want an episode about Spike fearing for the future, he is a dragon and he will grow more powerful ( asuming he can also grow normally ). Him not wanting to burn anypony or hurt them in a different way.

I know it is kind of familair to Secret of my Excess but i think that episode didn't really give insight into Spike's ''psyche'''? ( is that the word to use i dont know :blink: )

Edited by Spilight98

4 minutes ago, Spilight98 said:

Honestly I would want an episode about Spike fearing for the future, he is a dragon and he will grow more powerfull. Him not wanting to burn anypony or hurt them in a different way.

I really hope he will be aging again, but not like in Secret of my Excess. Just regular aging. :grin:

I feel like Spike's solo focused episodes ought to be a little more goal focused for him now. Or even lore/background focused. They keep doing the sidekick-in-over-his-head episodes, and they honestly don't make much sense against his normal support mode and haven't much for a couple seasons imo. Definitely more dragon connections, exploring his origin, maybe explain where Celestial got him from and why he seems unique 

I still think I'd like to see more companion episodes for Spike supported by the 6. hm, lemme just list my thoughts on relationships 

Sparkle: I don't know think there's much more to do here except for Twilight to reverse roles and be support for Spike's personal goals more often

Applejack: hm, has there been any significant character time between AJ and Spike? Im not sure there's much of an existing angle worth exploring here and nothing in my mind begs to be made

Fluttershy: you think there would have been some more business with Fluttershy and her exotic creature exploration by now. I think there's a wealth of opportunity to tag her onto an exploration episode or two related to Spike's origins or the dragons in general 

Rainbow Dash: I agree with others here that Spike already seems to have a good personality mesh with RD. Logistically it's tough to put the two together, but I think the two of them could explore more comic nerd type plots together

Pinkie Pie: also has an easy personality to work casually with Spike, but don't know they have any common threads that intertwine. Maybe they could bond over something related to their relative immaturity.

Rarity: I think they've swung Spike further from his crush into a relationship of admiration here and I think it might be a neat idea to give him some more mentorship direction from Rarity that he wouldn't necessarily get from Twilight. Things like creative expression, assertiveness in diplomacy etc

others: would it be controversial to say I think Spike has been a better friendship mentor for Starlight than Twilight herself? Even so I'm not sure what if anything might be expanded on there. in general would like to see more throwaway shots of Spike hanging out with the supporting cast in different functions. 

Spike does seem more genuinely supportive of Starlight as opposed to Twilight just generally getting nervous about what she does. But I think Starlight actually needs that good cop / bad cop dynamic to keep herself in check.