Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Want to make movie reviews

Sunrose Petal

Hey guys,

I was curious of your opinion on reading movie reviews...I really want to review movies in my own way but I think I'm a little confused on what kind of style to go with. I've watched a lot of different movie critics (youtubers, mostly) where some will give a short review and just say quick tidbits on what they liked and didn't like and some that go through the whole movie and point out flaws and whatnot about it and how they felt at different moments while watching it and I'm wondering if that style is better received than a vague, shorter, spoiler-free review and I'd hate to hinder whatever audience I get by having to say "Spoilers Ahead" every time I review a movie... I don't know, there are just a lot of opinions out there and I'm a little nervous on how to start. :/

Any advice?

(PS: and not to mention the different format for reviewing a TV show as a whole or in episodic posts...) 

hmmmmmmmmmmmm well what if you did both, try both styles of reviewing movies and then decide which one you like better after you have made a few attempts at each one, then that way you can say you tried both, but you liked this one style over the other style. That's what I would do, I mean, you can do whatever you want though.  

I'd say don't worry too much about what people think. Whatever style you go with, someone's going to hate it.

I will say though that personally I don't like video reviewers who sound like they're reading off a teleprompter. You should sound natural, as if someone just asked you what you thought of the movie in a conversation.

I despise the standard method of breaking a movie into its constituent elements and rating them all independently. The problem with taking notes on a film to review it is that it switches your brain from recreation to learning and that literally reduces your brains chances of hitting pleasure sensors.

My opinion is that the review should be focused on how the elements collaborate with each other and the overall feelings they evoke. I mean the separate parts like the story and characters and animation should be considered after the film and all the feelings it gave, but how they harmonize with the rest of the film is much more important to me.

Its definitely cool to bring out the names of actors and your feelings on their performances too. But even if someone does bad, how they work with the rest of the scene can still make it impactful.

That's just my wacky viewpoint though. No offense to anyone there certainly isn't a wrong way, I just have my feelings like everypony else.

I don't really consider that so seriously because reviewers sometimes miss a point (MatPat did a whole Film Theory episode about Star Trek being a fascist world and it was filled to the brim with fallacies tbh) and others go too deep for me to follow.

I mainly only watch videos like CinemaSins and Film Theory for the humorous bits.

• 2 years later...