Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Convention New Comer 2018

Twilight Karamel

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to both MLP forums and conventions alike, but certainly not the show. I've been watching since 2011 and just recently have gotten the ability to finally express my love for it! I've already reserved everything to go and am talking with an official from the convention but I'm sort of stuck on some things. I see everyone having fun with their pony-sonas, fandom names, con meetups and all that, but I don't really have any of those things (my username is just something I've come up with on the spot a few years back for gaming but nothing serious). Basically, I'm just looking for some general advice from con-goers and pretty much anyone! Maybe leave your advice on what to do at the convention other than shop, visit panels and all that or even how you got the inspiration for your pony-sona? I appreciate whatever you all are able to tell me!

Edited by TwilightKaramel
  • Brohoof 2

There are many events you can attend, besides Vendor Halls and Panels. You can get autographs, go to a meet and greet with some of the Guests of Honor, go to some entertaining evening events like Karaoke contest, or go to the Saturday night dance party. I had a lot of fun at the two conventions I attended, and I don't even have an OC or pony-sona.

• Brohoof 2

18 minutes ago, ChB said:

Hello, @Twilight Karamel! I've been to two cons, and had a blast in both. It's been so great getting to see some of the voice actors, writers, and directors in person, for the first time in my life. Anyway, some advice I would give you is this:

1. Plan ahead, ideally several months in advance. Some conventions close online registration after a certain time, and the "upgraded" tickets that offer you many bonuses sell out quick. For your first con, I would not recommend getting the upgraded tickets, unless you really want to and can afford it. The true cost of a convention will be much, much higher than your admission ticket, so you may want to just take your first convention to try things out and see if conventions are really for you. 

2. You will want to book your hotel stay at the same time you register. Some conventions limit certain panels to guests of the hotel it's located in, so keep that in mind before looking for a cheaper hotel nearby. If you can't afford the full hotel price, find some people to room with. Be sure to know how many people will be rooming with you, though. You don't want to end up sleeping on the floor.  

3. Get in line early, especially the registration line! It will get long and crowded fast! You don't want to miss a panel while waiting to get your badge. Autographs lines are also generally long.

4. The panel schedule is your friend. Be sure to plan a day in advance what panels you want to attend. There will be conflicting panel/autograph times, so you will have to pick which panels you want to attend more. 

5. If you intend to go shopping in the Vendor Hall, I would recommend bringing no less than $300. Plushies are mighty expensive and art commissions are not cheap. If you are only going to buy a few pre-made arts, pins, and/or comic books, though, then you can get away with bringing less.

6. Be very careful with charity auctions! Autographed products are generally overvalued, and the bids go up fast. Items are rarely sold less than $100, in my experience, even if they start out as low as $30. Before attending an auction, be sure to have a general idea of what kind of product you want and set a fixed price limit. Whatever you do, don't try to win a bidding war just for the fun of it. You will get buyer's remorse if you don't stick to your limits.     

7. Have fun! Conventions typically have a nice club/dance party on Saturday night, and even some entertaining evening panels. Remember, there's no wrong way to have fun at a convention (well...except if you break Con or hotel rules, of course...). You can either attend as many panels as you can, or you can spend the majority of the time meeting new people or hanging out with friends.

Hope that helps!

Hey there, thanks for the advice! I've already booked my hotel but need to get the flights done still. I suppose I should've thought about the tickets a bit more but went ahead purchased the most expensive one. (I've saved for years for something like this and just now got the ability to attend a con) I didn't know they had an auction but I certainly will take consideration in attending one, especially with what I'd actually buy. The official seems to have somewhat of a schedule set but beyond that I'm free a good bit of the time and well, due to lack of friends to be honest, I certainly would love to try to make some while I'm there, I'm just not quite sure what all there is, I've honestly never even looked at pictures of the convention to leave it as a big ol' surprise. And you certainly did help! Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it!

• Brohoof 1

Hey there, thanks for the advice! I've already booked my hotel but need to get the flights done still. I suppose I should've thought about the tickets a bit more but went ahead purchased the most expensive one. (I've saved for years for something like this and just now got the ability to attend a con) I didn't know they had an auction but I certainly will take consideration in attending one, especially with what I'd actually buy. The official seems to have somewhat of a schedule set but beyond that I'm free a good bit of the time and well, due to lack of friends to be honest, I certainly would love to try to make some while I'm there, I'm just not quite sure what all there is, I've honestly never even looked at pictures of the convention to leave it as a big ol' surprise. And you certainly did help! Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it!

You're very welcome! I just realized that this is the Babscon section of the forum, which is not one of the ones I attended yet, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt. 

Don't sweat it, if you got the Royal Pony Sponsor ticket, then that is awesome! Hope you have a great time at the dinner with John De Lancie, Kelly Sheridan, and Amy Keating Rogers! :) 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what I do for Babs.

I always check in Thursday, or Day 0 to check in and pick up the badge. I always save up enough money to pay up front and just have my roommates pay me their share in cash. That's my spending money. I also pay the room deposit in cash so that I can collect it when I check out early Sunday morning. That way I can have the rest of the day to spend.

My experiences are different when I started becoming a High Society Pony, allowing me to join the 1st round of people allowed into events or rooms. Also, I'm allowed to join in on the Meet and Greet event, where you can hang out and chill with the guests there, food provided. I check the schedule got events I'm interested in and make a schedule for myself to make sure things don't overlap. I always try to attend the panels for voice actors, and the rest, I just play by ear. I always visit the Dealer's Room though. I also attend the party rooms, especially the Klingon themed room. I expect though it'll be packed with you know who attending.

Really though...you'll have to find your own way to having fun at cons. No tipping your toe in the water...jump right in. But for your first time go with someone so they can help you find a way.

PS. I'm throwing out there that I am looking for roommates for BabsCon 2018. Reasonable prices.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

It will be my first time as well, never done any sort of convention before. I live locally sort of, distance wise not the amount of time it actually takes to get there. So I will probably be staying there, so I'll most likely be rooming up, so its not like you will be the only new person there, what I like about this community is everyone is welcoming and friendly so remember that, its a massive group of friends, you just dont know them yet.