Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone Else Hate Conventions?

Heretick-Tock

95 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like or dislike conventions?

• Dislike
    • Neutral

I've only been to two conventions ever, so here's my opinion.

I don't really like them because I HATE physical contact (conventions are crowded as hell) and I generally have no idea what to do, but otherwise, I'm fine with them.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to comic con with my cousins once. They're all so blissfully unaware of everything. One of them wore a panda hoodie to the convention, and a group of furries came up to her and tried to talk her into "joining their family", and wouldn't take no for an answer, eventually she just straight up walked away. She has no idea what a furry is, but needless to say she was creeped out. Disclaimer: I have nothing against furries, but just please don't do this.

Other than the occasional "interesting" folk, I think they're kind of boring. I'm not that outgoing, so I don't talk to many people, and usually just wander around and browse the overpriced merchandise that I could get online for less than half what they charge at the booths, and pass by some of the celebrities. An autograph would be nice, but not one that I have to wait 30 minutes and pay money for. Sometimes I'll make an impulse buy or two, but that's it.

My friends, however, usually have the more interesting tales to tell. For example, they got in line to meet Alan Oppenheimer, the guy who voiced Skeletor, and had him autograph a suggestive picture of Skeletor. They recorded his reaction, he gave them a very disapproving look while he signed it, that was fucking gold.

I've only been to two conventions ever, so here's my opinion.

I don't really like them because I HATE physical contact (conventions are crowded as hell) and I generally have no idea what to do, but otherwise, I'm fine with them.

I mainly would hate it because I hate being in crowds, but other than that, I'd love to go to a con.

• 4 years later...

I don’t hate conventions. I have no idea what to really do at cons, and I should probably talk to people instead of wandering around quietly (same goes for interacting here, though), and yes it can get overwhelming—but in the end, I love the feeling of being surrounded by people who all share exciting interests with me.

At BronyCon, for instance, I was in awe, because for the first time, I felt like this whole crazy horse fandom wasn’t just on the internet, like it wasn’t just in my head. It was real, it was massive, and I was a part of it. 

• Brohoof 1

While I have never been to a conversation, I admit I wouldn't mind going to one. Granted I'm not a big group person and I don't interact with people much. I still wouldn't mind seeing the actors or even major/minor internet stars and at least meet them. So I can't say I hate them. Though some people do kind of freak me out when they cosplay, but I'm far from offended from it.

• Brohoof 1

I absolutely love conventions, and it's sad to hear that some people have had bad experiences at them. I didn't have a single bad experience at BronyCon this past August. It was undoubtedly the best weekend of my life.

Edited by Booker
  • Brohoof 2

19 hours ago, Booker said:

I absolutely love conventions, and it's sad to hear that some people have had bad experiences at them. I didn't have a single bad experience at BronyCon this past August. It was undoubtedly the best weekend of my life.

really want to go to a convention too but I'm afraid to, and im afraid of what others would think of me, especially if I went alone. I would one go with someone else like me

Edited by Muffinnz
  • Brohoof 3

I've been to one convention (San Japan 2018), and I have to say while I enjoyed the experience in general (even with how awkward it was and how many times I got lost there), they aren't quite worth how expensive they are becoming. Accounting for everything, you might end up paying a good few hundred dollars for it, and that's for a relatively small convention. I imagine bigger conventions like Comic Con and E3 are much more expensive than that in the end... Oh and that's not accounting for anything you buy there either.

• Brohoof 1

49 minutes ago, Muffinnz said:

really want to go to a convention too but I'm afraid to, and im afraid of what others would think of me, especially if I went alone. I would one go with someone else like me

It definitely can be a little scary at first, but I can almost guarantee nobody at a convention would think anything bad about you. People are usually too busy having fun to notice others. And besides, many people go to conventions alone, and many more are at least somewhat shy. I don't think you'd be nearly as out of place as you expect.

If you want, we should definitely go to a convention sometime. There are plenty of them all around the country at different times of year, so finding the right one wouldn't be too hard. I know Seaquestria Fest is starting in Maryland. If it does well this spring and survives its first year, it might end up becoming fairly popular.

• Brohoof 1

I like conventions, but I have to have a LOT of breaks to feel comfortable. I don't cosplay purely because the idea of anyone random talking to me or hugging me is just...terrifying. I usually make myself look unapproachable by buying a body pillow or some "cringy" plush; carrying stuff like that around tends to make people leave you alone!

Except the young My Hero Academia fans...oh my stars they're so loud and touchy...

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
(edited)

I been to a comic con with some people which was pretty decent. I think it's unlike some cons. Very civilised and just looking around stands and stuff really. I dunno if id go again cuz as fun as it was it just felt like they were selling lotsa stuff lmao. It would depend if I knew anyone who wanted to go.  I'd reccomend anyone who is interested to go to one like that cuz it wasn't too expensive.

That's about it in those types of conventions (I been to plenty of tech and garden shows lol, and dr who exhibitions)

I was planning to go to a furry con but I dunno how to explain it to my parents (especially as they dunno how I met my friends and that is hard to explain if anyone has any advice) and well they are slightly hard to travel to. The one that I know my frens would go to is in another country. I would be scared to go alone though and feel I'd get lost or just bored.

I'd like to go to renaissance fair or an indie comic festival if I get the chance too.

With corona though I managed to attend a few online cons one of them was furry, and a few brony ones. They are pretty fun.

Edited by flurry
  • Brohoof 1

On 2/28/2020 at 1:30 AM, Splashee said:

I have never been to a convention (yet). I would probably also dislike being around a lot of people.

I couldn;t have put it better myself. 

I would just find it arkward to be in a place with lots of people, especially since I would know no one there

5 hours ago, Princess of Luck 🍀🔥 said:

I couldn;t have put it better myself. 

I would just find it arkward to be in a place with lots of people, especially since I would know no one there

Well, first trying to get used to large crowds of people is one thing. But then, afterwards, coming home with a nasty cold, or worse! That's why I never go to any big events any more.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I avoid conventions that tend to to attract misogynists (nerd conventions and nonbeliever conventions), but I'd go to other conventions/events. A long time ago I went to a pet bird convention and got a pet budgie there, and I've been to one little oboe convention. It'd be neat to go to a classic MLP fair someday (the type oriented toward collectors of all generations instead of Bronies, I'll never go to a Brony convention for the reason mentioned above). I also want to go to an International Double Reed Society convention someday. I really wanted to go last year, but there was no way I could go since I had no money. =( MLP Fair was also in the same state around the same time, so if I could have afforded it, I could have gone to both! (And I could have met the person who inspired me to play oboe, too. ='( )

Edited by Envy

On 2/27/2020 at 7:42 PM, Cagey said:

I don’t hate conventions. I have no idea what to really do at cons, and I should probably talk to people instead of wandering around quietly (same goes for interacting here, though), and yes it can get overwhelming—but in the end, I love the feeling of being surrounded by people who all share exciting interests with me.

At BronyCon, for instance, I was in awe, because for the first time, I felt like this whole crazy horse fandom wasn’t just on the internet, like it wasn’t just in my head. It was real, it was massive, and I was a part of it. 

^^^ This is literally me. 

I had the same feeling when I went to my first convention. (Anthrocon)

Funnily the first anthrocon I went to was in 2012 during the height of the pony fandom and during the convention we went to a room to have a pony party with other bronies where we got drunk, watched ponies, and played cards against humanity. 

To me conventions are really fun, even if you are shy and don’t interact with people a lot. 

• Brohoof 4

Yo bro I was going to go to an anime convention in Canada yet did not. Though yeah I mean I never went to a convention but always wanted to. Like you know at conventions there always those people you don't like yo. 

If you read on it you'll learn of many conventions that are rather wild and I'm sure some do not like that. Though the wild thing is why I want to be there haha.

• Brohoof 2

I really enjoy going to conventions, just the whole experience is really quite amazing ^_^

I guess though I'm only speaking from my experience, which would be smaller conventions. I went to Trotcon last year and I had a lot of fun, it felt amazing to actually be surrounded irl by like-minded pony people and not feel weird or anything. I understand though if some don't like conventions, as maybe the bigger conventions like EFNW can be a bit overwhelming, but I can't speak from any experience in that regards because I've only been to Trotcon, which again is a bit of a smaller convention. If you want to start going to conventions maybe you should start out with the smaller conventions and just get a feel for things before trying out any of the larger conventions, or maybe you should just go big or go home, right? :laugh: 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I love conventions! I love meeting people who share similar interests as me, and buying all kinds of cool merch as well as attending all the fun panels!

I like the idea of conventions but the only one I ever went to pretty much soured me on the whole idea. I went to Star Wars Celebration II and there were some interesting things there, but the people who ran it treated it like their own private Empire where the fans were only good for the $72 fee and afterward treated like nameless, soulless cattle. Taking pictures was forbidden (even looking through a zoom lens just to see what was through a crowded doorway was off limits and enforced with all the dedication of a nuclear missile silo), most of the attractions were closed long before their announced times, and the fans were treated badly by the staff which, rather than being knowledgeable and helpful, were ignorant and rude. I don’t know about Pony Cons, but I don’t think I can get into the idea of going through any more experiences like the one I had.

• Brohoof 1