Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Anyone Else Like Dubstep?

EpicEnergy

Oh yes, dubstep is an interesting sound design genre! And it's one of the few genres that got me interested in the music production world (alongside big room and progressive house).

On 2020-06-15 at 10:03 AM, Splashee said:

When was dubstep invented, and who was the first one that got famous for it?

@Splashee It's a bit difficult to pinpoint exactly the first song but it came about as a darker offshoot of UK Garage/2-step while incorporating elements of Dub. So, around the mid-2000s with roots in the mid-late 90s is when it starts taking a foothold. I think the best way to learn the history and evolution of music genres is to take a listen!

UK Garage example from that time period:

Spoiler

Dub example:

Spoiler

One of the earliest referenced songs that meets the requirements for dubstep is this one:

Spoiler

Horsepower Productions also deserves a mention as this style is what they (and a few others too) were pushing a lot at the time:

Spoiler

It starts getting a darker sound quickly:

Spoiler

Aaaand, now this dubstep sounds a lot more like the dubstep we're used to:

Spoiler

Now some "early" wub wub:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

One of if not the first "mainstream" dubstep hits:

Spoiler

And of course after that you have Skrillex, Nero, Modestep, Flux Pavilion, and Doctor P to name a few. I haven't kept up with dubstep the past few years but I know Riddim is the current popular style, toppling Brostep.

Also, probably the first actual successful dubstep song since Skream was quite popular before the 2010s came around, but there were plenty of popular tunes from this and other related artists from this time:

Spoiler

Personally have been getting into some of the deep and melodic dubstep stuff lately, like these:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Just like the mayo topic that was recently bumped, I'm in somewhere in the middle. I can listen to dubstep and enjoy it, but I don't go out my way to listen to it. :adorkable:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023-05-07 at 2:47 AM, Cash In said:

Just like the mayo topic that was recently bumped, I'm in somewhere in the middle. I can listen to dubstep and enjoy it, but I don't go out my way to listen to it. :adorkable:

I didn't know you could listen to mayo :sealed: